All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compiling Leela Zero On Windows, Need Help
Post #1 Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:09 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
OGS: Mulsiphix
Online playing schedule: Varies, so correspondence games only
Does anybody here have experience compiling Leela Zero on Windows? If so, I have some questions I was hoping you could help me with.

Firstly, I cannot use my GPU with LZ. My card (GTX 260) has OpenCL 1.0 and LZ requires v1.1 as a minimum, and prefers v1.2. The purpose of me compiling is to create a 9x9 build of LZ that is CPU Only. The weight files are available for a 9x9 LZ, but not a 9x9 LZ itself.

What I've Done So Far
1. Installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition
2. Using the MSVC Installer I selected "Desktop development with C++" from the Workloads tab and "Windows 8.1 SDK and UCRT SDK" from Individual Components.
3. I used Git to clone the Github repo, as described in the LZ readme for Compiling with Windows.
4. I ran "\leela-zero\msvc\leela-zero2017.sln", MSVC opened, and MSVC reports 15 errors in the console.

I wondered if they were related to dependency issues and download every single component in the MSVC Installer that mentions C++ in the name, but the errors remain.

Question
All of the errors relate to OpenCL.h. The first error says the file couldn't be opened. Is this a LZ issue or am I still missing a dependency or component that MSVS needs?
Additional Thoughts wrote:
I'm not sure if this is what I am looking for to fix the errors. If it is, I'm not sure how to utilize them with LZ or MSVS. But the LZ readme, under requirements, states the following are needed:
LZ Readme - Requirements wrote:
Standard OpenCL C headers (opencl-headers on Debian/Ubuntu, or at https://github.com/KhronosGroup/OpenCL-Headers/tree/master/CL)
OpenCL ICD loader (ocl-icd-libopencl1 on Debian/Ubuntu, or reference implementation at https://github.com/KhronosGroup/OpenCL-ICD-Loader)

U P D A T E
I don't know how to use MSVC, so this is a learning process for me. Turns out that each file that I open has a different error count. So there are errors all over the place. The rather small config.h file was generating 15 errors. Other files generate 1,000+ errors. With no way to seek official help and no forums dedicated to the community that works on LZ, I think that it is beyond me to even dream of having a chance of making a 9x9 build. It is frustrating but not much to be done about it.

Post subject: Re: Compiling Leela Zero On Windows, Need Help
Post #2 Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:21 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 27
Universal go server handle: iopq
9x9 version, if you need to run it with --cpu-only it should work

https://mega.nz/#!EMJxyIJA!ZbIuRAiPi-hy ... YSXSlaAHbU

Post #3 Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:11 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
OGS: Mulsiphix
Online playing schedule: Varies, so correspondence games only
iopq wrote:

I completely missed this post! We were talking on reddit and you hadn't responded yet. But here the build has been waiting for me this whole time :lol:! I'm so happy! It works!!! Thank you so very much iopq. I genuinely, sincerely, authentically, appreciate you making this available for me. Thank you so very much :clap:.

Quick question, is this the 0.17 version of LZ? I couldn't figure out how to determine the version myself :oops:.

Post #4 Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:52 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 27
Universal go server handle: iopq
Mulsiphix wrote:
iopq wrote:

I completely missed this post! We were talking on reddit and you hadn't responded yet. But here the build has been waiting for me this whole time :lol:! I'm so happy! It works!!! Thank you so very much iopq. I genuinely, sincerely, authentically, appreciate you making this available for me. Thank you so very much :clap:.

Quick question, is this the 0.17 version of LZ? I couldn't figure out how to determine the version myself :oops:.

I pulled it from git, so it should be 0.17

you can check by running the executable by itself in the command line with the help option

./leelaz -h in power shell or leelaz.exe -h in command line