It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How strong is Leela Zero compared to AlphaGo?
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:44 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Since AlphaGo is out of commission, I can’t expect a proven answer to this question, but I’m curious about people’s thoughts.

I noticed Uberdude's comment here: https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?p=247086#p247086, which suggests that the hanging connection was popular with weaker AIs and versions of AlphaGo, but now stronger AIs use the solid connection.

As AlphaGo used the hanging connection against Lee Sedol, I wonder if current top AIs are better than the stronger versions of AlphaGo, now, given their rate of improvement.

Post subject: Re: How strong is Leela Zero compared to AlphaGo?
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:45 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 45
I would assume the Lee version is significantly weaker than Master, look at AGM's known results (the 60 games and the Ke Jie games), assume AGZ is even stronger, and compare to today's FineArt. Of the latter I don't have accurate and fresh info, but seem to recall it does similarly to AGM, maybe sometimes dropping a game to top players in even games (though it usually plays h2 or more). Overall I would guess FineArt to be similar to AGM, maybe even AGZ.

LZ, on the other hand, is significantly weaker than FineArt. It is a zero bot (without ladder and liberty aid), weakened a bit by some bugs, and is not yet trained to completition. There may be a stone or so between them.

Edit: of course these speculations mean little without specifying hardware.