It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kifu Cam
Post #1 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:00 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
Today I randomly met Andreas Hauenstein, Go player and software developer. He introduced me to one of his projects, an app called Kifu Cam.

We played a game over the board, and at various points we used his app to take a picture of the board. It then syncs to Katago and returns the win-rate and expected margin of victory. These pictures then can be saved/exported in sgf format.

I believe it is only available for iPhone/iPad. You can read more at https://apps.apple.com/us/app/kifu-cam/id1343303689, and can download for $3.99 at the App Store.

Post subject: This is how it begins...
Post #2 Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:27 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 207
Was liked: 264
GD Posts: 200
OK, so next time an opponent in a tournament wants to record a game, I'll insist that they use pen and paper, not an iPhone.

I can see how this would be great in a club or social setting.

Post subject: Re: Kifu Cam
Post #3 Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:48 am 
Lives in gote

Xela,

The app only tells you who is ahead, and does not provide a "blue move." So I think your opponent in a tournament would be fairly limited in terms of how much he/she could cheat.

On a related note, Andreas has another project - a website where you can play Leela (https://leela-one-playout.herokuapp.com).

I think in all of his projects, Leela only spends 256 playouts to evaluate. He said Hajin Lee and Ahn Dalhoon were guinea pigs of sorts, and they could not beat Leela with only 256 playouts, so that is what he uses. I raised some issues on this forum with him, but he seems convinced that Leela is strong enough today where 256 playouts is enough.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:16 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Knowing who is ahead can be a very useful information. In a game I played last month, I resigned at move 108, thinking I was way behind, and that I had been suffering during the whole game. Surprisingly, Katago said my opponent was only 3 points ahead, with 65% winrate.

The game, in case someone is interested:

Attachments:
game.sgf [903 Bytes]
Downloaded 586 times

Post #5 Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:52 am 
Lives in gote

jlt -

I don't record my tournament games as I play them. From time to time I will ask my opponent if I can take a picture of the board (they always are fine with it). I agree with you that the app should not be used in tournament play, but I also think those inclined to cheat are going to find better ways to do it that with this app.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:41 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 207
Was liked: 264
GD Posts: 200
mhlepore wrote:
From time to time I will ask my opponent if I can take a picture of the board (they always are fine with it).

Yes, I've been fine with it in the past. Easiest way to record a game. And a lot of people have their phone on the table anyway, because it looks like they (the people) can't function without headphones attached. But for some years now, merely having your phone visible in a chess tournament has been grounds for disqualification. Now it's our turn!