It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KataGo Ladder Blindness
Post #1 Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:50 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
As a long-time lurker I guess this is as good a first post as any.

I encountered this position some time ago (back in June I think), while pitching one of KataGo's distributed networks against Leela Zero. KataGo is Black and Leela is White. I didn't post this earlier because I was interested to see, if the training would rectify it on its own. But as it is, even the current networks enter into this variation (despite high playouts) and do not realize that the ladder doesn't work until it's too late.

Interestingly enough, the final network of the pre-distributed run (b40c256x2-s509) has no problems at all with this ladder. Is it possible that there is a risk of introducing new blind spots as the training goes on?

I think this is the move in question:

The image above shows the analysis of the currently highest-rated 40b network (b40c256-s1049) and it suggests a game-losing blunder after more than 500k playouts.
I remember lightvector saying (on this forum I think) that he could insert these kind of positions into the training, so I hope this is useful.

The sgf file contains only one variation (the original I encountered), but some networks might propose a different order of moves.

Attachments:
KataGo Blindspot.sgf [825 Bytes]
Downloaded 301 times

This post by sunshower was liked by: lightvector

Post subject: Re: KataGo Ladder Blindness
Post #2 Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:20 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 62
KGS: Schachus12
sorry for being stupid, I assume it is blacks move.

Where is the ladder? The only potential ladder I can see is the one starting with the move that has 16 playouts in your picture, but it doesnt seem to work(if black pulls out 3 times then capturing the one stone will put another in atari) or am I mistaken? Edit: I see you provided an sgf, I cant open it currently unfortunately, but will check it later

Post #3 Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:06 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Sorry, maybe the post is a bit confusing. The picture does not show the actual ladder but the move that KataGo wants to play because it wrongly assumes that there is a ladder. The attached sgf file goes a few moves further and includes the ladder in question.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:38 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 916
Thanks for the example! There appears to be a deep ladder breaker tactic that is being read incorrectly, it's not exactly a blind spot, just some misreading. I'll see if this can be a useful training sample.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:16 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
sunshower wrote:
...The attached sgf file ...