It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kindle?
Post #1 Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
Hey guys,

I recently got a kindle for my birthday, and I was wondering if anyone knew of good go ebooks/ free stuff to use it for.
Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Kindle?
Post #2 Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:56 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
I don't own a kindle, but I am aware of these two things which may interest you.

1) sgf app for kindle a work in progress.

2) kiseido digital bookshelf

Post #3 Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:10 pm 
Lives in gote

I had seen that first thread, but assumed that project was dropped/ still unfinished. That digital bookshelf thing looks really cool though! So much cheaper than normal expensive books, and out of print ones to boot. Nice! :D

Post #4 Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:19 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
http://calibre-ebook.com/

Helps organize your ebook library, input metadata and it's a very good conversion tool, something you'll want for the standard Kindle.

I'm pretty sure the digital bookshelf products are pdfs, and pdfs which can't be converted, so I don't know I'd recommend that option. .pdfs are somewhat cumbersome on a standard size Kindle (the DX is a different matter).

I do believe there was a thread somewhere by someone on the forum advertising some Go books they'd done, and the first one or two were on the Kindle store. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003X9781O

Here's the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=585

Post #5 Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:53 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
Third party applications exist which enable any .pdf to be transfered and used on a Kindle. With this in mind, anything that can be converted to a .pdf or is a .pdf can be used on the Kindle.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:57 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
logan wrote:
Third party applications exist which enable any .pdf to be transfered and used on a Kindle. With this in mind, anything that can be converted to a .pdf or is a .pdf can be used on the Kindle.

I'm not sure how true that is. I know someone who bought a Kindle essentially to view PDFs, and the ones he wanted to view had somewhat complex formatting that totally failed on the Kindle. Can it display, say, Go World PDFs well?

Post #7 Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:08 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 103
Was liked: 39
All the .pdfs I've tried have worked well. Our pdfs from Forgotten Books are image files, so it's very simple there (although annoying 'cause you can't search the text) and I've used a few others from various sources quite happily. I've not tried any colour pdfs or particularly complex ones though.

Post #8 Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:09 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
Yes, if the PDFs are just images, there are no formatting issues to deal with. I'm not sure that it works so well with all PDFs though.

Post #9 Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:42 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
Stable wrote:
All the .pdfs I've tried have worked well. Our pdfs from Forgotten Books are image files, so it's very simple there (although annoying 'cause you can't search the text) and I've used a few others from various sources quite happily. I've not tried any colour pdfs or particularly complex ones though.

I suppose it would depend on the relative size of the font on the pdf. All the ones I tested on my friend's Kindle 2 were eyestrainingly hard to read without zoom, which is also awkward because with zoom you have to scroll around every page.

Post #10 Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:09 am 
Lives in gote

For some reason, none of the sample pdfs from kiseidodigital.com will open when I download them. Anyone else have this problem?

Post #11 Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:21 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 103
Was liked: 39
Monadology wrote:
I suppose it would depend on the relative size of the font on the pdf. All the ones I tested on my friend's Kindle 2 were eyestrainingly hard to read without zoom, which is also awkward because with zoom you have to scroll around every page.

If the pdf contains text (rather than being an image of the text) you can adjust the size easily. Otherwise I've found it works best in landscape, since that gives you the biggest text without moving around the page. I do have 1 or 2 files where that's still no good though, I agree.