It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TouchClock
Post #1 Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:02 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 6
KGS: liquido
Recently I developed a cellphone app for J2ME phones with touch screens. I am aware that there is already a very similar app for chess (like this), but it doesn't work so well if you want any Go overtime setting. I am also aware that there is an app for Android and probably also for the iPhone, but I only own a J2ME phone, so I decided to build this app for myself. However, there might be others like me who would like it so I am releasing it for free.

It is designed only for touch screen input. My phone is a Nokia 5230. Let me know if you get it working on another phone or are having any problems.

JAR download: http://web.ee.sun.ac.za/~francoisvn/TouchClock.jar
This software is released as-is. I have run it on my phone many times with no problems.

This post by liquido was liked by 2 people: LR24, rubin427

Post subject: Re: TouchClock
Post #2 Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:45 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 9
GD Posts: 125
:bow:
I just tried it and if looks cool :)
The only small improvement it could see is a monospace font. In my opinion that's a must for all clocks, but even the Offscreen-app you linked to does not use it. :scratch:
Too bad I don't really play go often, I would use this clock just for fun's sake. :mrgreen:

By the way, I got exactly the same phone as you! Sucks to be a non-iphone/-android user these days, doesn't it? I'm thinking about selling this one, putting some cash on top and getting one of the cheaper android phones. Problem is, those phone have a worse screen (especially the resolution) - and paying just to use a 320x240 screen is just not my thing, even if I get android and wifi. (also, due to the low screen resolution, many android apps will not even work on those phones...)

edit: I just tried it again and found a rather important bug: The clock is not accurate, it runs slower than a correct clock. The difference gets bigger with time, so I suspect you have to change a few lines in the main loop that checks if the screen is touched.

Post subject: Re: TouchClock
Post #3 Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:55 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 6
KGS: liquido
Thanx. Glad it worked for you :)

Actually my app does use a monospace font (or very close to one). But why would that make a difference? You do mean a fixed-width font, correct?

My next phone will almost definitely be Android, but for now I'm quite happy with my 5230.