It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SmartGo Books
Post #41 Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:04 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
Redbeard wrote:
That's all very good, but if there is no Java there is no KGS. I just want it clear that WMS is not keeping KGS off of iOS, Apple is.

This is a discussion for a different thread, but I'd say it goes both ways. Apple doesn't allow Java on iOS, but it is WMS who won't create a non-Java client nor allow anyone else to make a client.

Post #42 Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:05 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
smartgo wrote:
The SGF Kifu format that's used in SmartGo Books is a work in progress. I'm happy to share the current draft with prospective authors, but I foresee significant changes, so I'm not promoting this as a standard for now...

As a curious techie, I'll be looking forward to the day the format is made available (even if it's still draft).

increasingly off topic:
I assume that "sgf Kifu" can not be a proper subset of SGF. After all, we may well have things like Table of content and an index. There would likely be more than one gameinfo that could essentially be displayed arbitrarily.

But would the specification go so far as to allow the author to break content into logical pages, even if a particular viewer/device might render a logical page as one or more device pages? (I hope so).

CGoban and SGF are wonderful, but they are not what comes to mind when I imagine "go enabled word processor".

Post #43 Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:41 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 120
rubin427 wrote:
I assume that "sgf Kifu" can not be a proper subset of SGF. After all, we may well have things like Table of content and an index. There would likely be more than one gameinfo that could essentially be displayed arbitrarily.

SGF Kifu is real SGF with a few custom properties and richer interpretation of comment text. SGF already allows collections (just concatenate multiple games into one file), and the table of contents is generated automatically. One of the goals was that you could create an SGF Kifu file in an existing SGF editor.

This post by smartgo was liked by 2 people: Redbeard, rubin427

Post #44 Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:50 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
@smartgo
Thanks for this app! It is the best thing I installed on my iDevices since... SmartGo Kifu (& of course Panda-Testsuki, & GoGrinder, & Tygem app, & AlwaysOnPC fo KGS... )
SmartGo Books are just amazing. Looks simple & works great. Thanks again.

Post #45 Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:11 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 13
Lol, iWe is the funniest little new linguistic creation I have seen in a long time! It is worth noting that sgf format, which was created by Anders to begin with, has become ubiquitous. It is the preferred electronic format for reviewing, and recording games, and has become the standard. I think a great number of players study the electronic version of games, thanks to this format. That said, there is nothing like sitting down in front of your goban with a book, and playing an actual game out. Fairbairn's Kamakura is absolutely wonderful, and the feel of playing these games out with actual stones is something that virtual versions can never replace. The depth and richness of his historical narrative really adds to the experience too, and I just don't get that from a virtual version. This is not to undermine electronic records at all. I think both are wonderful tools, and serious players should make use of both of them. The speed of the electronic tools is a powerful asset too. Our contestants for the World Youth Go Championships played a game to decide our representative to the event on April 9th. I sent the game record to Feng Yun 9P a couple of days later. She thoroughly analyzed the game, and sent it back. It was distributed to 15,000 readers in the E-J yesterday - ten days after the game was played.

Post #46 Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:08 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
Kiseido has some information and a link to SmartGo Books on its website now. Of particular interest is the "Titles in preparation" section near the bottom of the page… ;-)

http://www.kiseido.com/app.htm

:study:

Post #47 Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:06 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
Slate and Shell announced their SmartBooks in a newsletter today also. :) They added that "While not available yet, we look forward to seeing the same sort of app for Android devices."

Post #48 Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:46 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 6
I wonder if there ever will be a windows app so that desktop users or subnotebook users can read those books too.

Post #49 Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:47 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4634
I wonder whether it is worth pointing out that it is sometimes possible to combine paper books with computers more than you might expect. For at least one of my books, and possibly those of others, Bill Cobb of Slate & Shell produced an sgf file of not just the basic game record but all the variations (i.e.no text) He offers the file(s) via his website, I think.

Even without the variations, it is useful to play a game over on a computer and click the extra variations moves yourself. That is how I work myself. I don't think I've played a game over on a wooden board for at least a decade now. Of course it means you ideally have to have the basic game record in sgf form to start with, but with GoGoD that is very rarely a problem.

Post #50 Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:14 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
John Fairbairn wrote:
Even without the variations, it is useful to play a game over on a computer and click the extra variations moves yourself. That is how I work myself. I don't think I've played a game over on a wooden board for at least a decade now.

The value of an e-book to me, especially in the form that the SmartBooks seem to offer (no new iPad2s in Germany until after Easter), is the mobility combined with the compactness. I spend most of my day in front of a desktop PC, so in my recreation time I enjoy reading (flaunting) on the couch or on the patio. Books like "How to Play Go" (with commented high dan amateur games) are perfect for this because each diagram only shows one or two moves. Most other books have many more moves per diagram and are more "troublesome" to follow. I first tried a couple different travel magnet boards, which didn't work out very well. Eventually I picked up a netbook, which was an improvement, but it still means a device plus the book. SmartBooks address this "problem" elegantly, since you get the book and the "board" bundled together and only need one light and highly mobile device.

I saw the comment in your latest book (The Meijin's Retirement Game, which is quite excellent so far!) that the SGF is available from S&S. I thought this was a good idea.

Post #51 Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:24 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 1
KGS: yawnguy
smartgo wrote:
I'm very happy to announce that the free SmartGo Books app is now available on the App Store. Unlike books in PDF, you can replay moves directly within diagrams, and zoom diagrams to see the context. With comments and long figures broken into logical sequences, this is the way Go books were meant to be read.

This looks great! :tmbup:

I've spent many hours converting four pages here, six pages there of some of my Go books into regular sgf format. I love the positiveness of being able to play through a movable diagram rather than trying to "read" it all in my head. But it takes a long time to do it, and since it is only for personal use it's not a very efficient use of time. And the product is nowhere near as pretty as you have made it!

The illustrations look great for an iPad, but apparently not too practical for the 4th gen iPod Touch I got recently with its far smaller screen*. I'm thinking about getting an iPad 3, but it depends on the specs when it comes out.

If you have any plans for a regular Windows SmartGo Books app, similar to how there's a Kindle app for a PC as well as a Kindle, I would definitely be interested in that.

Paul

*EDIT: I downloaded the app and am playing with it on the iPod Touch. It's actually better than I imagined, just looking at the free sample chapters from the books that are provided. I'll comment further after more exploration, maybe even buying a book or two. :)

Post #52 Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:50 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 136
I've been using SmartGo Books on my iPad for a couple of weeks.
Having a great time.
A solid investment that enhances my enjoyment of go and makes me appreciate my iPad even more.

Thanks for getting it to market, hope you add more titles for beginning players, may your profits accumulate appropriately.

david boise ID

Post subject: Suggestion
Post #53 Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:52 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 70
Was liked: 29
GD Posts: 48
KGS: Darrell
SmartGo Books is much better on the iPhone than I first thought it would be. I find myself using the move replay feature even when the diagram has just a single move.

A suggestion: at the end of a reviewed game, it would be nice to have the whole game to replay - to put the pieces together.

This post by Darrell was liked by: apetresc

Post #54 Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:31 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 50
Was liked: 12
KGS: go1986
They got 2 new books

How not to play go
$3.99

& one I never heard of called

The patterns of sanrensei
By Michael Redmond
$14.99

I got how not to play go I already loved understanding pro games so i grabbed it instantly

Just in case ya didn't know
See ya

Post #55 Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:10 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
This is like drug addiction...
"how not to play go" looks like is not for me, but good for weaker players.
But "Patterns of the Sanrensei"... arghh, I...need...to...resist...the need...
Touch "buy". Done.

Post #56 Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:45 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 17
GD Posts: 396
Is there a way to buy and read smartgo books on Windows ? (or Linux)

Post #57 Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:06 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Tryphon wrote:
Is there a way to buy and read smartgo books on Windows ? (or Linux)

Not as far as I know. Unless someone has developed a iOs emulator for Windows (or Linux), which should be technically possible, but almost certainly illegal.

Post #58 Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:10 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 17
GD Posts: 396
And I suppose Smartgo data format is closed ?

Post #59 Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:56 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Seems that it's not closed, but it's a work in progress: viewtopic.php?p=59279#p59279.

Given that, there's a question of whether the authors/publishers have any kind of exclusivity arrangement with Anders. If not, nothing would prevent a developer from creating their own Android app and distributing books. Of course with a format that's in progress, that creates a lot of complications.

Post #60 Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:16 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 120
hyperpape wrote:
Given that, there's a question of whether the authors/publishers have any kind of exclusivity arrangement with Anders. If not, nothing would prevent a developer from creating their own Android app and distributing books. Of course with a format that's in progress, that creates a lot of complications.

The agreement I have with publishers and authors is non-exclusive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next