It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about Daily Joseki method
Post #1 Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:39 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 34
Was liked: 15
KGS: Apoah
When studying on Daily Joseki, sometimes after the main joseki another 50 moves or so will appear on the board and I will be asked to play the correct move in the new position.

Is this still considered 'joseki'? What is purpose of this as it is unlikely that any game will progress like the one that they skip to the middle of.

Perhaps I'm not fully understanding the methodology behind the site. There doesn't seem to be any supplementary material to go along with the board study, so I'm kind of lost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Question about Dailiy Joseki method
Post #2 Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:13 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
The idea is that you learn the common follow-ups after the joseki is complete, so you know how pros later defend or exploit a position, and get a feel for when it's good to do that.

For example, in this position white commonly later plays a defensive follow-up, which I didn't know about:

I don't think you can call the follow-up moves part of the joseki, but they are important-- I think you probably don't have a good understanding of a position if you don't have some idea of what, locally speaking, to do next.

Sometimes the system stops too soon or too late (it stops when no three games include the same next move). For those times, use the "adjust" button to make the test longer or shorter.

Does that make sense?

Post #3 Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:20 pm 
Dies with sente

I did get a message about making the test longer or shorter, but I didn't really get what that meant.

It makes sense that this is to learn the follow up moves, I will just keep at it and hopefully it will start to make more sense.

Do you know also how it decides which joseki to do? Right now I am working on the Nikken Takagakari approach and the "appropriate" Joseki seems to depend on the position of stones around the other star points. I like that there is a chance to learn when to use the different variations, but I wish there was some kind of supplement explaining the theory as well. Something like Eidogo maybe?

Post #4 Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:01 pm 
Gosei

Last night I started to post some screenshots with the relevant buttons circled, but it's vanished from my drafts folder, hm...

Basically, when you complete a test, an "adjust test" button appears; if you click on it, you'll see two boards. The first one shows the position the test starts at, and you can use the < and > buttons to make it start earlier or later (for example, if you wanted it to start out showing the first three moves instead of the first two moves). The second board shows the position the test stops at, and you can use the < and > buttons to include more or fewer moves from the game in the test. I'll try to post the screenshot I made when I get home later.

Apoah wrote:
... the "appropriate" Joseki seems to depend on the position of stones around the other star points. I like that there is a chance to learn when to use the different variations, but I wish there was some kind of supplement explaining the theory as well. Something like Eidogo maybe?

Right, I don't do commentary. A large reason for that is that I've found that Kogo's/Eidogo are frequently incorrect/don't tell the whole story. It seems like a nearly impossible task keeping commentary on that many different positions accurate/up to date. So I focus on answering "What do pros actually do?" However, at some point I might look into linking to the appropriate sensei's library or Eidogo page from each position. If it's possible to automate the links, anyway!

Thanks for all the questions, I will probably add these to the FAQ on the about page. :)

Post subject: Re: Question about Daily Joseki method
Post #5 Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:37 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I think Josekipedia might be better than Kogo's or Eidogo these days.

Post #6 Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:41 pm 
Dies with sente

@Daniel

I didn't realize that it was your site! It is really good and I have enjoyed using it immensely. In fact, the only reason I haven't upgraded yet is because I'm afraid I would spend too much time there.

I will continue following the path. While some theory would be nice, I do enjoy figuring things out intuitively. Your program reminds me a lot of rosetta stone actually.

Keep up the good work!

Post #7 Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:43 am 
Gosei

hyperpape wrote:
I think Josekipedia might be better than Kogo's or Eidogo these days.

Hm, there's no obvious way to link directly to a position there, but maybe I could arrange something with the creator if/when I decide to do that.

Apoah wrote:
@Daniel

I didn't realize that it was your site! It is really good and I have enjoyed using it immensely. In fact, the only reason I haven't upgraded yet is because I'm afraid I would spend too much time there.

I will continue following the path. While some theory would be nice, I do enjoy figuring things out intuitively. Your program reminds me a lot of rosetta stone actually.

Keep up the good work!

I'm glad you like it! I'm a fan of Rosetta Stone, so it doesn't surprise me that it reminds you of it. :)

On my list is a way for people to select how much material it will give them at a time, to keep session lengths to whatever they want.

Oh, and you asked how it selects joseki: The short answer is that it's random, but proportional to how frequently pros play it, and you'll see the most frequent variations first.

Post #8 Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:23 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 23
KGS: DrBobC
Tygem: 35kyu
This is really very good.....

Graphics smooth... well thought out pedagogy..

If your using Chrome you might need to alter your SSL settings under options..

Post #9 Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:16 am 
Gosei

BobC wrote:
This is really very good.....

Graphics smooth... well thought out pedagogy..

Thank you, I'm glad you like it :)

BobC wrote:
If your using Chrome you might need to alter your SSL settings under options..

I noticed this on one of my computers, also. I'm not sure why chrome sometimes doesn't include it by default-- unless I read it backwards or something, the protocol I use is actually better... :scratch:

Post #10 Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:32 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 1
KGS: Abydos1
@daniel: I registered and added the following position expecting to get situations where white approaches here (such as taisha variations) instead I got positions following from :w2: - :b1: or black tenuki giving the more common 3-4 approaches. I guess I can go and add more specific variations but I was expecting it to take into account the move order when choosing variations; I'm not sure if that'd be easy to fix with your current database set-up. I'm eager to get a chance to use the new features; I like the idea of being able to study joseki with global positions being considered.

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ --------------
$$ | . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . 2 . . .
$$ | . . . , . . .
$$ | . . 1 . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . .[/go]

Post #11 Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:26 am 
Gosei

Abydos1 wrote:
@daniel: I registered and added the following position expecting to get situations where white approaches here (such as taisha variations) instead I got positions following from :w2: - :b1: or black tenuki giving the more common 3-4 approaches. I guess I can go and add more specific variations but I was expecting it to take into account the move order when choosing variations; I'm not sure if that'd be easy to fix with your current database set-up. I'm eager to get a chance to use the new features; I like the idea of being able to study joseki with global positions being considered.

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ --------------
$$ | . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . 2 . . .
$$ | . . . , . . .
$$ | . . 1 . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . .[/go]

Ah, yeah, that's a very good point. In an effort to make things as simple as possible, I reduced the "select" interface down to one button. Code-wise, I don't think it's hard for me to do that. It's just user-interface, and actually I think I can add that option without being too confusing. I'll add this to my list, thanks.

Post #12 Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:21 pm 
Dies in gote

daniel_the_smith wrote:
Last night I started to post some screenshots with the relevant buttons circled, but it's vanished from my drafts folder, hm...

Basically, when you complete a test, an "adjust test" button appears; if you click on it, you'll see two boards. The first one shows the position the test starts at, and you can use the < and > buttons to make it start earlier or later (for example, if you wanted it to start out showing the first three moves instead of the first two moves). The second board shows the position the test stops at, and you can use the < and > buttons to include more or fewer moves from the game in the test. I'll try to post the screenshot I made when I get home later.

Apoah wrote:
... the "appropriate" Joseki seems to depend on the position of stones around the other star points. I like that there is a chance to learn when to use the different variations, but I wish there was some kind of supplement explaining the theory as well. Something like Eidogo maybe?

Right, I don't do commentary. A large reason for that is that I've found that Kogo's/Eidogo are frequently incorrect/don't tell the whole story. It seems like a nearly impossible task keeping commentary on that many different positions accurate/up to date. So I focus on answering "What do pros actually do?" However, at some point I might look into linking to the appropriate sensei's library or Eidogo page from each position. If it's possible to automate the links, anyway!

Thanks for all the questions, I will probably add these to the FAQ on the about page. :)

Ah ok, I was confused because I was getting some follow-ups 20 moves later too. Does adjust affect that variation for everyone? How does that work? I definitely think knowing common follow-ups is very important otherwise you're not fully understanding a joseki. I've been noticing that since I started with a very basic position I'm getting a lot of different variations so I really don't know what to expect when I'm studying a joseki, there's still tons of variations that are possible so half the time I'm trying random variations till I get the right one; the hints sometimes help but they aren't that useful for the several moves after the 1st if I'm not familiar with the josekis. It seems like the way you've set it up it's a lot better to choose a much narrower selection of joseki to see how it's utilized instead of looking at broad positions like answers to a common approach.

I started with the 3-5 point like I showed earlier since I've been trying that out lately and wanted to see a variety of answers to white's approach move but it doesn't seem like your site is best suited to that method (not that that's a bad thing :) ). There's lots of ways to study joseki and I'm glad to see a site like yours which seems to offer a very good study process; I'm just trying to figure out how best to use it now :scratch: .

A couple things I've noticed:
  • It'd be nice if the hints were the correct colors and board orientation.
  • I somehow got 6 groups in my queue on a free account (2 showed up initially so I went to add some more and it said I couldn't so I checked back and 4 more had been added to my queue)
  • The remove group action on the queue page is pretty jarring with a page refresh; can't you just use jquery to remove that item? (It looks like you might be using it but it certainly looks like a page refresh I'm using chrome btw)

Also what are the specific limitations on studying using a free account?

Post #13 Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:51 pm 
Dies with sente

Another good idea might be a "suggested curriculum" starting from a foundational joseki and then working out.

Post #14 Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:10 pm 
Gosei

Abydos1 wrote:
Ah ok, I was confused because I was getting some follow-ups 20 moves later too. Does adjust affect that variation for everyone? How does that work?

It's remembered separately for each user. My eventual plan is to do some datamining and set the defaults based on what other people chose.

Abydos1 wrote:
I definitely think knowing common follow-ups is very important otherwise you're not fully understanding a joseki. I've been noticing that since I started with a very basic position I'm getting a lot of different variations so I really don't know what to expect when I'm studying a joseki, there's still tons of variations that are possible so half the time I'm trying random variations till I get the right one; the hints sometimes help but they aren't that useful for the several moves after the 1st if I'm not familiar with the josekis. It seems like the way you've set it up it's a lot better to choose a much narrower selection of joseki to see how it's utilized instead of looking at broad positions like answers to a common approach.

I actually use it personally to do pretty broad surveys; I added three things to my queue, one with three moves (a pincer), and two with two moves (two different approaches to 3-4 stone). But I can see what your problem is; if I added a two-space pincer as well as the one-space one, I'd never know which one to play, because often either will do. To try and address this, I added the "always start at this position" checkbox in the adjust screen. If you need the first three moves for context instead of the first two, you can do it there. :) (Let me know if more explanation is needed)

Abydos1 wrote:
I started with the 3-5 point like I showed earlier since I've been trying that out lately and wanted to see a variety of answers to white's approach move but it doesn't seem like your site is best suited to that method (not that that's a bad thing :) ). There's lots of ways to study joseki and I'm glad to see a site like yours which seems to offer a very good study process; I'm just trying to figure out how best to use it now :scratch: .

A couple things I've noticed:
[list]
[*] It'd be nice if the hints were the correct colors and board orientation.

Yes... I'd have to generate 16 times as many thumbnails to support that. I'll do that eventually, if I think my poor little server can handle it. (The server is currently running in a slice with 256mb of ram and a 10GB hard drive.)

Abydos1 wrote:
[*] I somehow got 6 groups in my queue on a free account (2 showed up initially so I went to add some more and it said I couldn't so I checked back and 4 more had been added to my queue)

Yes, adding groups is DB intensive and slow, so I do it in the background. This means you can end up with a few more than 5, if you start a couple requests at once. I don't mind that, my intent was to let you add 2 different positions. The "tests per day" limit is the more important one.

Abydos1 wrote:
[*] The remove group action on the queue page is pretty jarring with a page refresh; can't you just use jquery to remove that item? (It looks like you might be using it but it certainly looks like a page refresh I'm using chrome btw)

At first I was like, wait, I do use jquery to remove it? Then I looked at the source and I was like, oh, right. Yes, my ajax request triggers a page reload. :lol: Well, I will fix this eventually.

Abydos1 wrote:

Also what are the specific limitations on studying using a free account?

Good question, I will add this to the FAQ:

Users with free accounts may not:
* Take more than 10 tests per day, except for the first day you sign up. The first day, you're allowed 35 tests, to help you figure out what all you want in your queue.
* Select more study material while there are five or more groups currently in their queue.

Upgraded accounts motivate me to fix more bugs faster and/or add more stuff, and will eventually cause a server hardware upgrade if there are enough. :mrgreen:

Apoah wrote:
Another good idea might be a "suggested curriculum" starting from a foundational joseki and then working out.

Yes. That is a good idea. I would also like to let people choose to learn joseki based on simplicity instead of popularity. Popular with pros definitely != simple. :)

I wish I could do more stuff for the site faster, but I am doing this all in my spare time, so...

On another note, a bunch of people have signed up over the past 24 hours... Did I get linked somewhere or something? :scratch: (Nothing unusual appears in google analytics...)

Post #15 Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:45 pm 
Dies with sente

This thread has almost 300 views. Maybe that's it?

Post #16 Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:20 pm 
Dies in gote

daniel_the_smith wrote:
I actually use it personally to do pretty broad surveys; I added three things to my queue, one with three moves (a pincer), and two with two moves (two different approaches to 3-4 stone). But I can see what your problem is; if I added a two-space pincer as well as the one-space one, I'd never know which one to play, because often either will do. To try and address this, I added the "always start at this position" checkbox in the adjust screen. If you need the first three moves for context instead of the first two, you can do it there. :) (Let me know if more explanation is needed)

Ah ok, that's nice; it's good to hear how you're using the site. Maybe the wrong moves threshold could be adjusted to take into account a large variety of possible moves, or some way to advance the position without a guess? Do groups stay in your queue till you remove them or is there a threshold where they get removed automatically?

daniel_the_smith wrote:
Abydos1 wrote:
It'd be nice if the hints were the correct colors and board orientation.

Yes... I'd have to generate 16 times as many thumbnails to support that. I'll do that eventually, if I think my poor little server can handle it. (The server is currently running in a slice with 256mb of ram and a 10GB hard drive.)

Can't the image be rotated & flipped client side, maybe html 5? This seems to indicate at least flipping can be done with css, not sure about rotation.

daniel_the_smith wrote:
At first I was like, wait, I do use jquery to remove it? Then I looked at the source and I was like, oh, right. Yes, my ajax request triggers a page reload. :lol: Well, I will fix this eventually.

:lol:

Great work on the site, I can see it being very useful. Have you thought about including side positions and common reductions? That's probably a lot of work expanding the database though :sad:. I would love to see a good source for the non-corner josekis though, it seems very hard to find a good reference for them although eidogo does have some.

Post #17 Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:06 pm 
Gosei

Abydos1 wrote:
Ah ok, that's nice; it's good to hear how you're using the site. Maybe the wrong moves threshold could be adjusted to take into account a large variety of possible moves, or some way to advance the position without a guess? Do groups stay in your queue till you remove them or is there a threshold where they get removed automatically?

I'll think about maybe giving you more chances for the very first move, that might work. Currently, everything stays in your queue until you remove it. I've considered adding code to "retire" positions once you know them really well, but at that point they'll only appear once a month or so, so it might actually be useful review-- I haven't decided what to do yet, basically.

Abydos1 wrote:
Can't the image be rotated & flipped client side, maybe html 5? This seems to indicate at least flipping can be done with css, not sure about rotation.

Nice idea, thanks-- css is not my specialty :)

Abydos1 wrote:
Great work on the site, I can see it being very useful. Have you thought about including side positions and common reductions? That's probably a lot of work expanding the database though :sad:. I would love to see a good source for the non-corner josekis though, it seems very hard to find a good reference for them although eidogo does have some.

Actually I've been planning out the next version of my tool for building the joseki tree database-- I've figured out how to do a lot of it much better and I'm pretty excited, though I haven't started on it yet.

Planned:
* Corner josekis-- I have thought of a way to replace my joseki identification heuristics with something that is actually correct.
* Corner invasion josekis-- my current issues (I don't think anyone has noticed, but I have some) will be fixed by the above.
* Half/Full board "joseki".
* Side joseki.
* Center joseki-- I'm not even sure what that means or what I'll see, but I'm planning on doing them.
* Perhaps some basic filtering-- by date and/or strength of players. I don't think I have the HD space to filter the transparent stones. But I can filter the moves for sure.
* All of this would be addable to your queue, so you'd be able to learn side reduction/invasions, etcetera.

Yeah, so if people have more requests for browse 2.0, now is the time to make them :)

Post #18 Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:34 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 43
IGS: ethanb
Could there be some sort of highlighting or shading of the area in question when you hover over the hint at the bottom of the board, so that you can have some idea exactly what is meant by "in the corner" or "in the center" or "on the side"?

I keep running into instances where I'm looking at a follow-up position, decide I would attack from one side or the other, then I look at the hint and it says "White to play on the bottom."

I think "on the bottom? Really?! Hmm, ok. It must be this squeeze from the second line... no, this one. no... huh. Attach and cross-cut?" Then when I've convinced the program I have no idea at all what I'm doing, it shows me a move on the sixth line, the one I thought of initially.

I understand that this sixth line move might be "on the bottom" when dividing the board into quadrants (er, octets?) but it has a HUGE disconnect in my mind from anything that could reasonably resemble that phrase. If the area that was being referred to by "bottom" or "lower-right corner" or whatever could be highlighted in a different color when you hovered over the hint, that would be an amazing improvement, as I could make sure I'm thinking about the same part of the board the program is.

Post #19 Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:50 pm 
Gosei

ethanb wrote:
Could there be some sort of highlighting or shading of the area in question when you hover over the hint at the bottom of the board, so that you can have some idea exactly what is meant by "in the corner" or "in the center" or "on the side"?

I keep running into instances where I'm looking at a follow-up position, decide I would attack from one side or the other, then I look at the hint and it says "White to play on the bottom."

I think "on the bottom? Really?! Hmm, ok. It must be this squeeze from the second line... no, this one. no... huh. Attach and cross-cut?" Then when I've convinced the program I have no idea at all what I'm doing, it shows me a move on the sixth line, the one I thought of initially.

I understand that this sixth line move might be "on the bottom" when dividing the board into quadrants (er, octets?) but it has a HUGE disconnect in my mind from anything that could reasonably resemble that phrase. If the area that was being referred to by "bottom" or "lower-right corner" or whatever could be highlighted in a different color when you hovered over the hint, that would be an amazing improvement, as I could make sure I'm thinking about the same part of the board the program is.

Good idea, thanks! That has happened to me before, also. It's kinda hard to give hints vague enough to not give it away but useful enough that it's actually a hint. I probably shouldn't describe a 6th line move as "on the bottom", but I also don't want people to know that "bottom" means, say, 3rd line or lower-- I want you to learn the board, not the hint. Yes, I may have incoherent preferences. :/

(I usually ignore the hint until I've gotten it wrong a couple times, then I'm like, oh wow, I'm not even on the right side...)

Post #20 Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:34 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 43
IGS: ethanb
daniel_the_smith wrote:
ethanb wrote:

Good idea, thanks! That has happened to me before, also. It's kinda hard to give hints vague enough to not give it away but useful enough that it's actually a hint. I probably shouldn't describe a 6th line move as "on the bottom", but I also don't want people to know that "bottom" means, say, 3rd line or lower-- I want you to learn the board, not the hint. Yes, I may have incoherent preferences. :/

(I usually ignore the hint until I've gotten it wrong a couple times, then I'm like, oh wow, I'm not even on the right side...)

I'm afraid the only way to avoid that would be to analyze the position with GnuGo or something. Then (if you're lucky and it classifies the position the same way most people would) you could use that info to describe the move as "White to attack the group on the bottom" - which brings a much vaguer picture to my mind than "White to play on the bottom" does, and can include all sorts of possibilities. :)