Post #41 Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:14 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Just a couple more weeks for Asus Transformer Prime. :)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/01/asus ... me-review/

Post subject: Re: Amazon Fire and KGS
Post #42 Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:31 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
alejo wrote:

the real question is: is it really comfortable to spend long hours on a device like ipad? I mean it because of the retro-ilumination should tire your eyes...

I can read for hours. Remember, you can adjust the brightness of the backlight, so you can find the most comfortable lighting for any conditions (though a backlit device doesn't work well in bright light, such as outdoors in sun).

Post #43 Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:50 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I know I shouldn't reignite any tablet wars, but c'mon...
Quote:
One final annoyance: when mounted in the dock, the whole contraption is disconcertingly top-heavy, the Transformer itself weighing considerably more than the lid of your average laptop. This made the thing very prone to tipping over backward. In fact we inadvertently sent ours tumbling off of its perch and toward the floor while writing this very section of the review. Some deft reflexes, honed on years of Samurai Showdown and its ilk, saved our tablet from crashing into the floor, but suffice to say you should always use yours in a secure location.

Post #44 Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:18 pm 
Oza

hyperpape wrote:
I know I shouldn't reignite any tablet wars, but c'mon...
Quote:
One final annoyance: when mounted in the dock, the whole contraption is disconcertingly top-heavy,

Yeah, I have no plan of getting the keyboard add-on. I have a netbook for that. I think it's neat, but I don't particularly care about it.

Post #45 Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:25 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
Agreed. I love my transformer (I love that I used it nonstop on a 24 hour set of flights recently and it lasted the whole way), but I have no interest in the dock. I just use it as a pad and it's great for that. If I wanted a laptop I would have a laptop.

Post #46 Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:21 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 14
GD Posts: 2308
OGS: Kabit
+1 Kindle Fire user... I just got one for Christmas.

I read this thread about a month ago, but I can't remember if it was mentioned... $200 is a lot different than $400+ This was absolutely the #1 reason I asked for the Fire. (#2 is due to Amazon media).

The IGS app (beta) does work and needs to be sideloaded. I haven't tried playing a game - maybe when my stylus arrives. Unfortunately it's the only app I could find as an .apk - I'd love to try some of the pay for apps in the android market (gogrinder, etc) but access is a problem unless I root the Fire. I also wouldn't be the first one to buy the KGS app at $15 just to see if (and how well) it works.

(")_(")      ~ Tarah ~

Post #47 Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:24 pm 
Oza

malweth wrote:
Unfortunately it's the only app I could find as an .apk - I'd love to try some of the pay for apps in the android market (gogrinder, etc) but access is a problem unless I root the Fire.

I'd be curious to see a review after rooting the Fire. I was thinking of buying it just for that purpose.

Post #48 Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:27 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 14
GD Posts: 2308
OGS: Kabit
My problem with rooting is that I supposedly lose access to the Amazon services (Prime streaming video and MP3), which I have and use... so unless that is resolved I'll probably keep the device locked up.

I don't understand why they don't just allow Fire uses to install the Google store. That seems to be the only real issue. I suppose it's a matter of Amazon retaining control of the device (but sideloading IS allowed).

(")_(")      ~ Tarah ~

Post #49 Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:55 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
malweth wrote:
My problem with rooting is that I supposedly lose access to the Amazon services (Prime streaming video and MP3), which I have and use... so unless that is resolved I'll probably keep the device locked up.

I don't understand why they don't just allow Fire uses to install the Google store. That seems to be the only real issue. I suppose it's a matter of Amazon retaining control of the device (but sideloading IS allowed).
I have a vague thought that they need Google's permission (which is supposed to be handed out in a non-capricious manner) to get the Google store. But I wouldn't trust me on that one.

The other point is that Amazon is making a bid to be the source for Android apps, and effectively supplant Google. They have their own app market (with unbelievably bad terms for developers), so why shouldn't* they try to force developers onto it using their market share?

* Should being understood in the deviant sense of "what's in my self interest?"

Post #50 Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:49 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 48
Was liked: 6
Slightly OT, but kgs on the nook color w/ cyanogenmod7 works like champ :) Granted I lose the bn store, but gained the Android market... and kgs

Also I think the deal with the Google app store is it can't be distributed w/o permission (presumably involving licensing), but Google is fine with a individual installing it. So I suspect it is a control the supply chain thing for Amazon.

Post #51 Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:52 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 8
KGS: gurujeet
DGS: gfromdc
phrax wrote:
Slightly OT, but kgs on the nook color w/ cyanogenmod7 works like champ :) Granted I lose the bn store, but gained the Android market... and kgs

Also I think the deal with the Google app store is it can't be distributed w/o permission (presumably involving licensing), but Google is fine with a individual installing it. So I suspect it is a control the supply chain thing for Amazon.

You can get the cyanogenmod by installing a n2a (nook-to-android) card in the micro-SD slot http://www.n2acards.com. Nook warranty is still valid. I like the local storage on the Nook as opposed to the cloud option on the Fire and also the epub support.

- gurujeet

Post #52 Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:13 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 13
I haven't tried this yet, but my understanding is you can enable third party apps on the Fire without rooting it. From there, you just need the APK file, and you can install an app via USB. Details are here: http://www.technipages.com/kindle-fire- ... files.html Several of the people who make Go apps are on this forum, so they can get you an apk file pretty easily. I know anDGS is available for download from Mike's site.

After thinking seriously about the Fire, I ended up buying the new Samsung Galaxy Player. I absolutely love it. The 5 inch screen is the perfect size for recording games, and I can still fit it in my pocket. It is also super fast, looks great, and has GPS even when you aren't hooked up to wireless. Very cool device, I paid $260 for it with tax.

Post #53 Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:44 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
shimari wrote:
I haven't tried this yet, but my understanding is you can enable third party apps on the Fire without rooting it. From there, you just need the APK file, and you can install an app via USB. Details are here: http://www.technipages.com/kindle-fire- ... files.html
That won't work for KGS. As a paid app, when it runs it contacts Google to make sure that the device is is running on has paid; if not, it dumps out.

I expect I'll be putting KGS officially in the Amazon market before too long. Unless Amazon announces that Google Market will be supported on the fire first.

This post by wms was liked by: Peter Hansmeier

Post #54 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:16 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
alejo wrote:
the real question is: is it really comfortable to spend long hours on a device like ipad? I mean it because of the retro-ilumination should tire your eyes...

This was one of my concerns when I bought an iPad 2. I was relatively sure that I would not enjoy reading books on it, based on my experience with reading long texts on a LCD/TFT monitor. I was wrong. It is surprisingly pleasant, when you adjust the brightness a little, depending on what's comfortable for you. With the right font, I actually find reading ebooks on the iPad more enjoyable than on an e-ink reader, especially in the evening when the room you're in is not daylight-lit.

The whole experience was pretty much the opposite of what I had expected, so I think this is something everyone probably needs to test for themselves. I also never thought the tablet would become such a constant companion for a wide variety of tasks and uses, and had fully expected I'd regret the purchase within a few weeks. Luckily, I wasn't right. :)

Post #55 Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:42 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Well, with the growing market share of the Kindle Fire, I reckon that it will be only high time that they start with an application for it already and true to that, the demand is ever growing.

I have to agree though that the hindrance would be how that size of display is going to keep up with it. Probably wait when it gets a revamp in terms of size.

Post #56 Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:23 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
Mivo wrote:

This was one of my concerns when I bought an iPad 2. I was relatively sure that I would not enjoy reading books on it, based on my experience with reading long texts on a LCD/TFT monitor. I was wrong. It is surprisingly pleasant, when you adjust the brightness a little, depending on what's comfortable for you. With the right font, I actually find reading ebooks on the iPad more enjoyable than on an e-ink reader, especially in the evening when the room you're in is not daylight-lit.

I agree. I find reading on a Kindle very tiring for my eyes. With the iPad, I adjust the brightness as needed, and change the font size so it's big enough that I don't have to force my eyes.

This said, any back-lit e-book reader fails in outdoor light. The Kindle is great in the sun.

Post #57 Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:07 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 4
Universal go server handle: Trebuchet
kirkmc wrote:
I agree. I find reading on a Kindle very tiring for my eyes. With the iPad, I adjust the brightness as needed, and change the font size so it's big enough that I don't have to force my eyes.

This said, any back-lit e-book reader fails in outdoor light. The Kindle is great in the sun.

The Kindle Fire has a fully-adjustable backlight and the texts can be adjusted from quite small to six-words-on-a-page hugeness; plus it offers black on white, white on black ánd brown on sepia ink/paper combinations. I doubt the iPad is vastly superior in that regard.

No it's not particularly easy to read in sunlight but it's not bad in shadow and indoors it rocks. You're right though; for reading in sunlight the e-ink screen on the earlier Kindles are vastly superior.

My biggest compaint about my Fire as opposed to my earlier Touch is it is noticibly heavier. But the use of a supporting case which allows the Fire to be essentially "hands free" mitigates that irritation, but that would only be worse on the (still heavier) iPad.

Post #58 Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:01 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 4
Universal go server handle: Trebuchet
BTW, don't get me wrong: The Kindle Fire is hardly the ideal platform to play Go on. Engine options are small and many standard apps won't work without significant workarounds and/or sideloading, but it does work. Had I rediscovered Go before I bought my Fire tablet I'd probably have bought a standard Android tablet or even an iPad, but that isn't how things worked out. I can still play Go on GoShrine and DGS without difficulty. KGS is a non-starter though.

Post #59 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:00 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 5
GD Posts: 800
OK, so I'll revive this thread.... any new news on KGS, et al on a Kindle Fire? I just got a nice big Fire HDX, and would love to use it for stuff like this. I have PC's that will work just fine, if there still is no Kindle Fire option.

A quick browse through the Amazon App Store seems to show that "Go" by AI Factory is still the only app that is available. [EDIT] And yes, there are side-load apps from the Google Play store, like ElyGo, and some others. There is also a GP app called Go Online that is an IGS client.

I can well appreciate why WMS might not want to do this.... I've developed software for decades, and it is a PITA moving an app to another platform. Besides the obvious work involved, there is also the opportunity cost (i.e. what else you could do with that time) to consider.

I don't suppose that WMS would be open to having a small (unpaid) development team help him out, since KGS is pretty much a one-man show (and a fine one, at that), but I'm game to help, if that option is available. What do I get out of it, besides another way to get to KGS? Some experience programming for Android, is about it.

Anyway, just tryin' to think outside the box, is all.

Post #60 Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:59 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 26
KGS: Nagilum
Although there is no client, this may be a workaround for you: Look for a VNC-Client in your App-Store and follow the instructions from http://www.hilolens.com/kgs.html
The Connection is very stable but there is actually no sound.

Have fun! :D