It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Commented games on GoGoD
Post #1 Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:20 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Hey!

Is there anybody who could tell me, how many commented games from each Go Seigen, Cho Chikun, Lee Chang'ho and Lee Sedol are in the GoGoD database? Furthermore to which extend the commentaries go and at which level of strength they are addressed to?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Commented games on GoGoD
Post #2 Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:09 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I'd like to help, but it's rather difficult since most of the games are sorted by reviewer and not by players, and I couldn't figure out how to search for players. One exception is a folder with 10 commented Go Seigen games. All in all, there are 261 commented games. As to the level of the commentary, the help file says that the comments are light, medium or heavy, and that this is shown in the file name - however this doesn't seem to be the case... :-?

Post #3 Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:26 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 19
DGS: willemien
SoDesuNe wrote:
Hey!

Is there anybody who could tell me, how many commented games from each Go Seigen, Cho Chikun, Lee Chang'ho and Lee Sedol are in the GoGoD database? Furthermore to which extend the commentaries go and at which level of strength they are addressed to?

Thanks in advance!

GoGod does not have that much commented games

From the winter 2009 version:

Go seigen 10
and none of the others (but i can have overlooked one or two)

also lot of more commented games by Breakfest I estimate around 80 (from 2003)

But many uncommented games from all of them.

I guess if you are only interested in commented games GoGod is not the right place to look.

If you are interested in amatuer games then downloading the games from the go teaching ladder http://gtl.xmp.net/reviews/zip is maybe the best there is.

For Go Seigen you can download lots of commentaried games at http://www.5z.com/tucsongo/book/

Hope this helps

Post #4 Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:10 pm 
Gosei

Thanks, you two!

willemien
Woah, looks big! I think that'll help for the moment ^^

But, okay. I thought, there would be more in GoGoD.

Will have to look at other places then. Anyone can point out the "best" source for commented games played by those persons?

Post #5 Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:18 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
http://www.gogameworld.com

Post #6 Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:37 pm 
Gosei

Thanks! Looking at my guesses in Arabn's thread, I feel like I desperately need to start replaying some games to get a feeling of strength ^^

Post #7 Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:21 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 19
DGS: willemien
I made a special catagory for commented games collections at http://senseis.xmp.net/?GoDatabases feel free to add links to commented game collections there. (So we can all find them)

Post #8 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:34 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I figured out how to search the games for the players (I'm new at this), so here is a correction to a few of the previous posts.

In GoGod there are:

20 commented games with Yi Ch'ang-ho,
3 with Cho Chikun,
17 with Yi Se-tol and
10 with Go Seigen.

IMHO that plus the other 200 or so games should be enough to keep you busy for a while.

Post #9 Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:22 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
I'm sorry GoGoD hasn't answered this sooner, but I've been baseballing in the States for the past fortnight and T Mark has just escaped the ash and gone to China for the WAGC.

There are around 250 commented games on the CD. About half were specially commissioned from a Chinese 7-dan pro but we decided to terminate commentaries for several reasons. One is that there were too many problems with the various sgf readers. E.g. some showed comments after the move, some before, and many programs do not implement all the sgf tokens.

A more important reason is that I do not think sgf commentaries are worth the effort anyway. The on-screen format is far from ideal even for just variations, but it's quite awful if you want to add colour. That's a personal view that you may not share, of course, but the basis of what goes on the CD is that we each do what interests us, so I'm not going to enter into debate about sgf readers.

The most important reason, however, is that Bill Cobb of Slate & Shell volunteered to take on the grind of typesetting and diagram creation, so that there was an opportunity for the very many commentaries that have been sitting for years in the "GoGoD archives" (mostly in shorthand) to appear in paper form instead. Some of you will have seen examples of the results in the books Kamakura and Final Summit. These represent what I believe are good and interesting colour commentaries that would not work well on screen, but the core point is that I can spend my time writing up my notes instead of inputting sgf variations. A much, much more satisfying use of my time.

Reaction to those books has been such that Bill, T Mark and I have been willing to continue with the Go Seigen series. 9-dan Showdown has just been printed (mid May 2010) - it may even be out for all I know - and as soon as I get over the jetlag I will also deliver to Bill the draft for the first in a similar new series on individual famous games not necessarily involving Go Seigen(covered even more intensively as regards variation diagrams; the first has about 120).

In other words, these books and not the CD are where you need to look now if you want to see game commentaries from GoGoD.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Phelan