It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best Go apps for Android?
Post #21 Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:42 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 8
BW-Go is usable app for creating sgf files with variations and marks support. Support for kogo's joseki dictionary is included and you can play against a bot. I am using champion go on mobile so i dont know BW-Go bot strength.

Post #22 Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:15 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
Inkwolf wrote:

anDGS - I don't use the Dragon go server, so this is only good for review for me. This is one of the two programs I have capable of opening an SGF file. You can even open it from within anDGS...but only if you type in the filepath. (Needs browsing capability.) It is vertical-only, and also doesn't have an option for coordinates.

Thanks for the reference, but you seemed to have missed the extensive list of options in the preference menu (it is accessed via the standard Android menu icon) In there you can find a landscape option for viewing sideways (chose a fixed option over auto rotate to make it less jittery picking it up when recording tournaments and playing while moving), a board coordinates option, etc.

With anDGS installed, if you click on a link to an sgf file in most web browsers, depending how the site is set up it can either be opened directly in anDGS or downloaded to the sdcard where you can open it in anDGS either from the saved games button (this is the browsing capability you missed) in anDGS or opening the file in most file browser.

If you are using it for review, don't miss the board markup interface to add your own marks and labels to an sgf.

Reviewing a game or problem, try the guess the next move mode. Just want to sit back and watch moves being automatically presented one at a time check out the auto play mode. Both are are in the Review Game button.

And one other thing most people seem to miss is the help text specific for each view via the standard android menu.

This post by mdobbins was liked by: Phelan

Post #23 Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:18 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
One thing I'm still looking for is an android app with a game tree view. Gobandroid has variation click through which is a bit annoying. AnDGS has up/down buttons to get through variations but you have to keep your eyes open and remember how far you've moved.

I've suggested it to the gobandroid author, but I haven't seen a nice interface yet.

Post #24 Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:56 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 414
Was liked: 461
mdobbins wrote:
Inkwolf wrote:

anDGS - I don't use the Dragon go server, so this is only good for review for me. This is one of the two programs I have capable of opening an SGF file. You can even open it from within anDGS...but only if you type in the filepath. (Needs browsing capability.) It is vertical-only, and also doesn't have an option for coordinates.

Thanks for the reference, but you seemed to have missed the extensive list of options in the preference menu (it is accessed via the standard Android menu icon) In there you can find a landscape option for viewing sideways (chose a fixed option over auto rotate to make it less jittery picking it up when recording tournaments and playing while moving), a board coordinates option, etc.

Great, thanks! I will have to have another look at it. :) So many of the programs I've been trying out have no preferences or options that I can find, maybe I never looked on anDGS.

Update on ElyGo, too--the cut-off score problem has been fixed. I got an e-mail back from the developer, saying that the save feature was removed for debugging and should be back at some time, and that there will also be sound in the future at some point. It may need some tweaking to open SGFs outside the ElyGo SGF folder. I haven't tried moving other SGFs into that folder.

WeGoIgo - Tried this one this morning. I had tried it when I first got my tablet and was unimpressed, but the author had notes all over the listing saying it had been drastically improved. I've only tried looking at a few SGF files and played a game against GnuGo (unfinished because Gnu gets stuck in thinking mode.) Not my first choice for game playing (no sound, stones hard to place accurately) but okay for reviewing.
It can be used vertically or horizontally, and had grid coordinates. It can (sometimes) open SGF files from in-game. I say 'sometimes' because when I tried opening a commented file, I got a message that it was 'incompatible with the collection' or something, but WeGoIgo was able to play it back when I used a file browser program to select it.
In so many ways it's just exactly what I want for file reviewing, but I wish I could find a way to turn the numbered stones off.

This post by Inkwolf was liked by: Phelan

Post #25 Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:09 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Alguien wrote:
BigBadBuu wrote:
What is this big server thing?

It's a subscription based service that I think is only in use by the iphone edition of crazy stone. You pay a monthly fee and they keep a server somewhere that answers your moves. This gives you an app that works in a phone but with a strong AI.

Hactar Go offers AI subscription for Android (1€/month).
I (author of Hactar) think engine is about 1kyu.

regards
Lauri

Post #26 Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:52 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 98
Universal go server handle: Alguien
oren wrote:
One thing I'm still looking for is an android app with a game tree view. Gobandroid has variation click through which is a bit annoying. AnDGS has up/down buttons to get through variations but you have to keep your eyes open and remember how far you've moved.

For me, the perfect way of designing that tree would be:
- One button switches the full screen board for a tiny board and a visible tree like the one in eidogo. Clicking on the tree navigates it as expected.
- One button (back?) returns to the board and in it you can see when there are alternative branches with square numbers, like in eidogo.
- One button shows or hides the numbers.

Post #27 Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:12 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 414
Was liked: 461
I had another cheap tablet die (fortunately still within the return period) so I am now awaiting another one. This time I decided to get something decent and ordered an Acer A110, so with any luck, I will not have to go through reinstalling everything a fifth time. (Yay for tax refunds!)

But I will be sure to try Hactar Go's review tools (I thought it was just a beginner/Capture Go app) and take a better look at anDGS.

Post #28 Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:35 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Inkwolf wrote:
But I will be sure to try Hactar Go's review tools (I thought it was just a beginner/Capture Go app) and take a better look at anDGS.

Hactar is actually quite all-purpose go program. I just have not got around to advertise it so well :)

At the moment AI is used for playing. I am about to implement additional uses (first one is scoring / evaluating position).
If you look after something specific, please mail me.

regards
Lauri