It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Go apps for Android?
Post #1 Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:40 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 414
Was liked: 461
I have finally stepped into the 21st century with the purchase of a small and cheap Android tablet. After checking the Google Play site, I discovered there are around 20 Go apps! Quite a shock and difference from my Mac computer where Goban is just about the only option.

Since I am still figuring out how the blasted tablet works (manual is small, in tiny print and terrible English, and I am an Android Virgin) I really don't want to download everything and test it out. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Post subject: Re: Best Go apps for Android?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:18 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
real time servers:
KGS
Tetsuki (igs)

sgf tools:
andgs
gobandroid

tsumego:
gogrinder
yoo changhyuk's

turn based servers:
andgs
online go server client

There's also stuff in foreign languages, but I think that covers a lot of the English options. Senseis library has a page on android apps as well.

This post by oren was liked by 2 people: Inkwolf, Splatted

Post #3 Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:12 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 18
KGS: Gnostic
IGS: sydneytink
Kaya handle: Gnostic
Depends on what all you want to do. There are apps for playing online, tsumego, keeping game records, and even one that uses the camera to score the game for you.

I mostly find myself turning to the KGS app and ElyGo. The rest just depends on what I'm trying to do.

This post by MS_Sydney was liked by: Inkwolf

Post #4 Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:56 pm 
Lives in gote

Since I don't have wireless at home, I'm mainly interested in one that would let me play against various go game engines without an internet connection, and view pre-loaded SGF files.

Go problems are good, too.

I will probably get the KGS app at some point, though I prefer to use my computer for that.

I also intend to download one of the chess clock programs, That should be fun to try at the go club! Amazing that they have an app for everything, though I sort of wish there was a virtual ING clock, so I could see if they really are as annoying as people say.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:58 pm 
Dies in gote

ElyGo offers a more fine grained set of options for configuring your game against the bot than most other apps I've looked at.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:00 pm 
Oza

Crazy Stone is a good engine to play against. I use it once in a while when I have no connection to the internet.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:19 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 8
GD Posts: 172
ElyGo is a solid app and I'm looking forward to getting Crazy Stone when my Nexus 10 arrives. Having a potentially dan level opponent at my fingertips would be nice!

Post #8 Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:26 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I'd also mention wegoigo, which has a nice stone placement system that works particularly well on small screens. It also has a nice set of features.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:59 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
I too use wegoigo (the lite version) and am pretty fond of it. The stone placement system is very intuitive, and you can also run gnugo or download problem/game/joseki collections for it to look at.

Post #10 Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:40 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 19
Universal go server handle: ProtoJazz
I use crazy stone (Champion go) to play against, and wegoigo is really nice for reading kogo's

Ive seen yoo changhyuk's and thought it looked cool, but could never get it to register. On one it gives me an error,
and on another phone it just crashes

Post #11 Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:20 am 
Oza

ProtoJazz wrote:
Ive seen yoo changhyuk's and thought it looked cool, but could never get it to register. On one it gives me an error,
and on another phone it just crashes

I had to email the support once for my password. They responded pretty quickly and may help you out if you haven't tried that route.

Post #12 Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:21 pm 
Lives in gote

Thanks for all the suggestions! ^^

I'm trying Elygo and liking it, except...
Attachment:
Screenshot_2012-11-20-19-13-09.png
Screenshot_2012-11-20-19-13-09.png [ 213.91 KiB | Viewed 28776 times ]

I guess I will have to do my own scoring, if I want to know how big the gap was. Does the score normally get cut off like this, or is it just my tablet? Or is there some adjustment I can make?

Post #13 Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:25 pm 
Dies in gote

I don't think I've run into quite that problem.

You should consider sending that screenshot to the app developer with a little info about what you're running it on.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:23 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
I use KGS(for playing), andgs(for recording), gogrinder(for problems), and a Chess Clock(I have Simple Go Clock too, but this one allows you to set asymetric time. Great when a clock fails at a tournament and you have to replace it.).

I also have ElyGo, GoFree(basic go computer player. Not bad, but not very good too.), and Online Go(the Online Go Server app).
I don't recommend that scoring camera one, it never worked on my phone. Couldn't even get it to capture an image.

A few links at BGG.

This post by Phelan was liked by: Inkwolf

Post #15 Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:09 pm 
Lives in gote

Phelan wrote:
I use KGS(for playing), andgs(for recording), gogrinder(for problems), and a Chess Clock(I have Simple Go Clock too, but this one allows you to set asymetric time. Great when a clock fails at a tournament and you have to replace it.).

I also have ElyGo, GoFree(basic go computer player. Not bad, but not very good too.), and Online Go(the Online Go Server app).
I don't recommend that scoring camera one, it never worked on my phone. Couldn't even get it to capture an image.

A few links at BGG.

I tried GoFree. I LOVE the look and the stone placement system, but I have it on Level 10 and it feels like an even game, so I may outgrow it pretty quickly.

Thanks for the links! Lots of interesting stuff on that page, even besides the Go.

This post by Inkwolf was liked by: Phelan

Post #16 Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:37 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 181
Bears repeating -- do not judge the strength of computer go by the programs able to play on an Android device. Nor by the the strength of some of the bots running on machines far more powerful than what you might have at home (unless perhaps you are a very serious gamer).

The stronger go playing programs running on a "typical" modern home computer will range from perhaps 1-3 dan.

Post #17 Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:25 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 98
Universal go server handle: Alguien
Mike Novack wrote:
Bears repeating -- do not judge the strength of computer go by the programs able to play on an Android device. Nor by the the strength of some of the bots running on machines far more powerful than what you might have at home (unless perhaps you are a very serious gamer).

The stronger go playing programs running on a "typical" modern home computer will range from perhaps 1-3 dan.

I do have a big enough machine at home and I think I could find a bot that could beat me on it but I'd still prefer to pay a small monthly fee to have a big server somewhere beating me on my phone.

The reason being that if I'm at home, in front of the big enough machine, I can play on any of the live servers. It's on my phone that I need an opponent that doesn't mind me playing three moves and then stopping for half an hour while not doing that himself.

Post #18 Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:24 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 3
Alguien wrote:
Mike Novack wrote:

I do have a big enough machine at home and I think I could find a bot that could beat me on it but I'd still prefer to pay a small monthly fee to have a big server somewhere beating me on my phone.

The reason being that if I'm at home, in front of the big enough machine, I can play on any of the live servers. It's on my phone that I need an opponent that doesn't mind me playing three moves and then stopping for half an hour while not doing that himself.

What is this big server thing? Can you rent computer power or something like that? Also how strong are the android computers in 9x9? Seems like it would be more interesting that way.

Post #19 Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:26 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 98
Universal go server handle: Alguien
BigBadBuu wrote:
What is this big server thing?

It's a subscription based service that I think is only in use by the iphone edition of crazy stone. You pay a monthly fee and they keep a server somewhere that answers your moves. This gives you an app that works in a phone but with a strong AI.

Post #20 Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:20 pm 
Lives in gote

Well, after having to return my tablet for a defect and a whole lot of problems getting my replacement, I'm back to puttering, and here's some comments on what I've tried:

Go Free - Pretty and fun for an easy game of 13x13 or 9x9. I especially like it for giving to newbie kids to play with because they can beat it, and it's a confidence booster. Not going to upgrade, though.

Gobandroid - It's the only Go app I've tried that will let you hold it sideways! :D Nice for review or playing against GnuGo. It will let you save actual SGF files. (Haven't tested that, but if it works, awesome!) Incredible variety of board sizes available, from 2x2 to 23x23. (Seriously, is a 2x2 game even possible?) It doesn't have much in the way of controls within the game, to open a game file you find the SGF with a file manager program, and choose Gobandroid to open it with. No coordinates on the board, which is annoying when you're reviewing a SGF with lots of comments like 'If you had played P13 it would have messed up white's influence and the m10 group would have died."

anDGS - I don't use the Dragon go server, so this is only good for review for me. This is one of the two programs I have capable of opening an SGF file. You can even open it from within anDGS...but only if you type in the filepath. (Needs browsing capability.) It is vertical-only, and also doesn't have an option for coordinates.

ElyGo Lite - Very ambitious, all-around program. Slightly incompatible with my tablet--the score gets cut off. Can't find a 'resign' button, don't know if there is one. No sound, apparently, at least not on my tablet. I believe the paid version lets you open SGF files, but no idea if you can save your own. Has some tsumego built in, lets you play on IGS or against Gnu Go. I may upgrade at some point. Or not.

Champion Go - Yeah, I bit the bullet and actually paid, after reading all the good reviews. Nice game engine, I find it a challenge to play. I tried an even game first and won, then cranked it up to full power, gave myself a 9 stone handicap, and got slaughtered. :D (Note: I was kind of trying to get slaughtered at first. I had a reason. But still, it kicked me around even after I got serious. For the sake of reference, I'm around 11/12k on KGS.) The program lets you save your games. And it had an option for coordinates on the board! Unfortunately, it apparently does not open outside SGF files for review. And the games you save on it are not accessible to other programs or to transfer to your computer. There is an option to export via e-mail, but if you haven't got your e-mail set up on your tablet, you are out of luck. (I only use public wireless at work, e-mail isn't practical for me.)

I haven't tried the new upgrade of WegoIgo yet, but I probably will. Looks like it has coordinates on the board...

This post by Inkwolf was liked by: Phelan