Post subject: anDGS
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:31 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
anDGS is an Android client for the Dragon Go Server at dragongoserver.net and a local game recorder/editor.

Recent updates include:
- downloading any game from the DGS server to the local game editor to study.
- a screen to display waiting messages so you can see if you have invitations, etc w/o checking on a browser
- some minor bug fixes

Look for some future localizations as I am working with translators for Chinese and Korean. If anyone would like to translate to another language, PM me and I will send you a copy of the strings.xml file which you may translate and send back for inclusion in a later release.

I have more features I want to include as time permits so this is an ongoing although a slow project for me.

Post subject: Re: anDGS
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:51 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: Azharen
I would love to test the apk.

mdobbins wrote:
anDGS is an Android client for the Dragon Go Server at dragongoserver.net and a local game recorder/editor.

Recent updates include:
- a screen to display waiting messages so you can see if you have invitations, etc w/o checking on a browser
- some minor bug fixes

Look for some future localizations as I am working with translators for Chinese and Korean. If anyone would like to translate to another language, PM me and I will send you a copy of the strings.xml file which you may translate and send back for inclusion in a later release.

I have more features I want to include as time permits so this is an ongoing although a slow project for me.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:55 am 
Lives with ko

Azharen wrote:
I would love to test the apk.

mdobbins wrote:

Recent updates include:
- some minor bug fixes

It is available on the Android Marketplace for free. Search for anDGS.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:53 pm 
Lives with ko

Version 1.14 has just been released. The last couple of releases including this one have been bug fix releases.

The list of fixes in versions 1.11 - 1.14 include:
1) Cyrillic user names causing the first move in the DGS player to not be displayed. Thanks to Fwiffo for his help in getting a case into my development system.
2) fault on the Skip All button.
3) faults and random stone placement on the first move of the game, fixed and a new warning message.
4) warning message when trying to play after a pass move.
5) display version on the home screen.

Items 3 and 4 will be the first features fully implemented when the first versions of new client interface on the DGS server is released. I expect to implement more features currently only available via the browser as features in the new client interface are completed. Things high on my priority list are game invitations, setting handicaps, scoring and reading messages from the status page.

Thank you users of this app for your patience. I hope it has been useful for you.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:34 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 24
Although I dont own an Android-Smartphone I'm willing to help with a german localization, PM me if you'd like my help :)

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:36 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 3
GD Posts: 185
KGS: SolarBear
Hi !

If you need a translator to French, I'd be happy to lend you a hand.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:57 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 17
GD Posts: 396
Seeing the thread resurrected, I was going to propose myself as french translator :)

If you want to divide the work...

Post #8 Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:29 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
In my experience the most annoying part of creating a localized program is not getting the initial translations, but the ongoing translations. Every time you add a new feature which includes a string you need to get a translator for all languages again or end up with a half translated program.

Post #9 Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:39 pm 
Lives with ko

Tryphon wrote:
If you want to divide the work...

Thanks, SolarBear and Tryphon for volunteering to work on a French translation. I really appreciate your offers.

It would be great if you two want to divide up the work.

Other than the help pages there is not very much text with this client.

Please PM me with an email address and I will send you the strings.xml file to translate and send back. I will include the translation and send an .apk file for you to verify. There is an emulator you can run on your desk top if you wish. Jonas is using the emulator for the German translation.

Last edited by mdobbins on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #10 Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:44 pm 
Lives with ko

Li Kao wrote:
In my experience the most annoying part of creating a localized program is not getting the initial translations, but the ongoing translations. Every time you add a new feature which includes a string you need to get a translator for all languages again or end up with a half translated program.

Yes, I am concerned about that. I am not adding much in the way of new features right now, but when the new client interface is ready, that will cause some major changes.

Post #11 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:52 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 24
Ofc I'll be at disposal when adaptions are needed :)

The german translation is ready, but I'd like to check for mistakes etc.
Will take until Wednesday or something because atm I'm short on time, sry Mike : (

Post #12 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:11 pm 
Lives with ko

Jonas wrote:
Ofc I'll be at disposal when adaptions are needed :)

The german translation is ready, but I'd like to check for mistakes etc.
Will take until Wednesday or something because atm I'm short on time, sry Mike : (

Thanks, Jonas, for your continued support.

Also, I don't expect the translation to be "perfect" on the first pass. It is ok to send me your current draft and I will send back an updated .apk file for you to check. You may want to adjust something after you see how it lays out in the emulator. I don't need to release it to the market place until you are satisfied with the translation.

Upcoming feature in the next (1.15) release:

For those asking for a better way to down load a game you are playing, I just implemented a menu button on the playing online screen to down load the game you are looking at to the local editor. After you look at it in the local editor, if you hit the Android back button, you end up back in the online player at the same point in the same game where you selected down load. You still have to make and submit your move, but you no longer have to remember the game number and go back the the home screen to down load.

This will make it a little more convenient for all the users asking for a better down load feature.

This post by mdobbins was liked by: Redundant

Post #13 Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:58 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 1
So with the EGC comming up does anyone know if this app has any stability issues?
When I last tested it for game recording several months ago there where some problems but I know there have been several patches since (with at least one claiming to specifically fixing at least one issue I had).

Post #14 Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:49 am 
Lives with ko

Mcgreag wrote:
So with the EGC comming up does anyone know if this app has any stability issues?
When I last tested it for game recording several months ago there where some problems but I know there have been several patches since (with at least one claiming to specifically fixing at least one issue I had).

If no one else answers, I have put a lot into making it stable for recording. But in reality, I mostly use it for the DGS player interface.

If you want to check it out, do your own test simulating how you would use it in a tournament. Do things like: after you make a move, turn off-on the display, shake/rotate/flip over the phone, hit the back button, hit the home button, open another app, try to make it crash or lose a move. I have been through every scenario that I can think of to make it fail safe. There may be some sequences, when you go completely out of anDGS, where you have to go back in through the recover game button, but every move should be safe stored.

Please, post how it goes, testing and if you use it at the EGC. I am interested in hearing your experiences.

Also, someone asked about displaying annotations on the board in the game editor. I am working on adding that.

Post #15 Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:03 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
Actually, now that you mention that, I have noticed an issue when sliding out the keyboard on my Droid. If I select a move, then want to enter a comment, I'll slide out the keyboard and it will skip back to scanning for games, undoing the move.

Also, something that maybe falls more in the feature request category, it would be nice if the app switched orientation based on the orientation of the phone/keyboard like other apps.

Post #16 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:44 am 
Lives with ko

fwiffo wrote:
Actually, now that you mention that, I have noticed an issue when sliding out the keyboard on my Droid. If I select a move, then want to enter a comment, I'll slide out the keyboard and it will skip back to scanning for games, undoing the move.

Also, something that maybe falls more in the feature request category, it would be nice if the app switched orientation based on the orientation of the phone/keyboard like other apps.

Thanks for the feedback. I will look at intercepting sliding out the keyboard. Android has a lot of interrupt types.

As far as switching orientation automatically, I started that way and found hat it would be a lot more work than I was willing to put into it at that time. Every time you change orientation, Android kills the app and restarts it to switch the selected layout. I did create a landscape layout which you can select from preferences, but I think it is very ugly. Take a look at that, if you have suggestions, let me know. I may some day put in an option to allow automatic orientation, if I can get the landscape layout in better shape.

Post #17 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:55 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
Huh. I expected switching orientation would be a signal you could intercept. A lot of apps (e.g. KGS) seem to switch on the fly OK (not that it's necessarily easy, and of course, you have to program two layouts). It's not a big deal; I don't type comments mid-game that often.

Post #18 Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:45 am 
Lives with ko

fwiffo wrote:
Huh. I expected switching orientation would be a signal you could intercept. A lot of apps (e.g. KGS) seem to switch on the fly OK (not that it's necessarily easy, and of course, you have to program two layouts). It's not a big deal; I don't type comments mid-game that often.

anDGS was my first Android app so as I was learning the interfaces, I chose to keep it very simple. That enabled me to get something useful that I could use every day up and running fairly quickly. As I said in the earlier post I have a lot of the pieces done, like portrait and landscape layouts, can manipulate the interrupts, etc. It would take some work and code structure change to save off the state and restore it every time Android destroys the app on an orientation change. If I do an auto orientation feature, I would make it optional as I don't like this particular app changing orientation as I am waving may phone around while making moves on DGS.

The keyboard slide out orientation change may be interesting for droid. I am locking it down for the next release so it should not cause the issue you reported while playing on DGS. I already had it locked down in the local game editor, just did notice it for the online player.

Post #19 Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:49 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 1
Sadly it seems there are still some problems.
After a certain point in the game I was recording it just keept crashing and recovery just returned it to a point a couple of moves earlier. Crashing happned on both returning from sleep and on trying to save the file at any point later than the position it returned to. Saving at the recovery point worked fine.

I have PMed you the sgf and an android log (not sure how much time it covers).

I guess the sgf became corrupt there for some reason and that created the problem. There was a ko involved, not sure if that's important or not.

Next move in the game is capturing to end the ko.

Post #20 Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:02 am 
Lives with ko

Mcgreag wrote:
Sadly it seems there are still some problems.
After a certain point in the game I was recording it just keept crashing and recovery just returned it to a point a couple of moves earlier. Crashing happned on both returning from sleep and on trying to save the file at any point later than the position it returned to. Saving at the recovery point worked fine.

I have PMed you the sgf and an android log (not sure how much time it covers).

I guess the sgf became corrupt there for some reason and that created the problem. There was a ko involved, not sure if that's important or not.

Next move in the game is capturing to end the ko.

Thanks, the log looks like enough time as a quick look showed a stack overflow in trying to save a recovery file or the sgf file. The sgf you sent does show a truncated record i.e. no closing parenthesis.

mike