It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Go Eye released 1.1.5, with important updates
Post #21 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:55 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
GoEye2012 wrote:
The review assumption that "the author has not tested or used their own apps" are not true. Actually the author uses it every day, as a great go fan, and tries to make every detail shine.

I'm sorry if my opinion was expressed in unpleasant and harsh way. I'm glad to see that you use this app, so definitely there is a high probability the bad things ("bad" in my point of view of course) will be fixed.

Post #22 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:11 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 49
IGS: goeye
lobotommy wrote:
GoEye2012 wrote:
The review assumption that "the author has not tested or used their own apps" are not true. Actually the author uses it every day, as a great go fan, and tries to make every detail shine.

I'm sorry if my opinion was expressed in unpleasant and harsh way. I'm glad to see that you use this app, so definitely there is a high probability the bad things ("bad" in my point of view of course) will be fixed.

No problem. The problems reported will mostly be addressed in future release. As for image recognition problems, would you please post some problematic sample pictures here or send email to us? Thanks.

Post #23 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:13 am 
Lives in gote

macelee wrote:
lobotommy wrote:

Recording games.
As a tool for recording games this app is... broken. But how? Is it really possible? Yes. All is "rather ok" (more below), till you want to enter a variation. Then all the magic happen. Magic of bad design and the ugly true that developer was not testing nor using it's own app.
First: there is no any indication on a board where are the variations, where the next moves are. There is no "a", "b", "c" etc. There are just small screenshots of the board with a variation position right or below a board. Looks nice right? But totally unusable. If you have a game with variations under variations then good luck with that. It's a nightmare to go through it.

The support on variations does exist and works quite well. As soon as you tap the board and create a variation, you will notice two dots at the bottom of the panel, indicating a different view is available. Go to the second view you will see thumbnails of separate branches. Tap them to swap to different branches. This might take some time to get used to. I do believe this is an elegant way to present branches. I appreciate many people may be more familiar to tree views (similar to what KGS client does). I hope an option of tree view can be provided in a later release.

Sure, it looks very nice. At first there was even a "wow" effect. But, as all people, I have my habits. There's no any indicator on the board where are variations and let's say I want to create a fuseki lesson sgf. Or how to browse through variants in Kogo's sgf? How on earth I can do this now with these thumbnails I do not know. I don't know on which branch I am currently. I would love to use it as it is but I simply don't know how to operate it in the current state.

Last edited by lobotommy on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #24 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:17 am 
Lives in gote

GoEye2012 wrote:
As for image recognition problems, would you please post some problematic sample pictures here or send email to us? Thanks.

I will send you these files little later today or tomorrow.

Post #25 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:19 am 
Lives with ko

lobotommy wrote:
macelee wrote:
lobotommy wrote:

Recording games.
As a tool for recording games this app is... broken. But how? Is it really possible? Yes. All is "rather ok" (more below), till you want to enter a variation. Then all the magic happen. Magic of bad design and the ugly true that developer was not testing nor using it's own app.
First: there is no any indication on a board where are the variations, where the next moves are. There is no "a", "b", "c" etc. There are just small screenshots of the board with a variation position right or below a board. Looks nice right? But totally unusable. If you have a game with variations under variations then good luck with that. It's a nightmare to go through it.

The support on variations does exist and works quite well. As soon as you tap the board and create a variation, you will notice two dots at the bottom of the panel, indicating a different view is available. Go to the second view you will see thumbnails of separate branches. Tap them to swap to different branches. This might take some time to get used to. I do believe this is an elegant way to present branches. I appreciate many people may be more familiar to tree views (similar to what KGS client does). I hope an option of tree view can be provided in a later release.

Sure, it looks very nice. At first there was even a "wow" effect. But, as all people, I have my habits. There's no any indicator on the board where are variations and let's say want to I create a fuseki lesson sgf. Or how to browse through variants in Kogo's sgf? How on earth I can do this now with these thumbnails I do not know. I don't know on which branch I am currently. I would love to use it as it is but I simply don't know how to operate it in the current state.

The color one is the current active branch. The black/white ones are other variants to choose.(This is easily remembered as the color one matches the big board's color to represent active branch. Again, this is intuitive design :). The first one (left most) is the main branch.

Tap to choose. Long touch to edit (remove).

Last edited by GoEye2012 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post #26 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:23 am 
Lives with ko

lobotommy wrote:
GoEye2012 wrote:
As for image recognition problems, would you please post some problematic sample pictures here or send email to us? Thanks.

I will send you these files little later today or tomorrow.

Thanks.

Post #27 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:55 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
lobotommy wrote:
Sure, it looks very nice. At first there was even a "wow" effect. But, as all people, I have my habits. There's no any indicator on the board where are variations and let's say want to I create a fuseki lesson sgf. Or how to browse through variants in Kogo's sgf? How on earth I can do this now with these thumbnails I do not know. I don't know on which branch I am currently. I would love to use it as it is but I simply don't know how to operate it in the current state.

As I mentioned this does take a bit time to get used to. May I suggest that you first view a few SGF's with branches before trying to create your own. That will make the learning process easier. The commented games on gogameguru are perfect for this purpose. Note that you can load those games using Go Eye's integrated browser.

Maybe the author can consider providing a tree view in long term. I understand habit is very hard to break.

Post #28 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:15 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
lobotommy wrote:

Slider for a fast game viewing.
Slider does not work as it should - you can move a slider but it does not update a board position unless you stop touching screen. And it does not work if your finger moved over the slider even a little. Why?
There is a move number listed but there is no update of it when you use a slider, and it's impossible to get exact place you want at a game.
So this functionality is totally broken.

I had another look at this. I think the current slider behaviour is reasonable. What lobotommy suggested is nice to have.

A tip: if you want to fast forward/backward a game, you can tap and hold the + or - button. The initial 2 or 3 moves are slow then it moves faster. A lot of electronics devices are programmed this way so I think Go Eye behaviour is quite intuitive.

Post #29 Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:27 pm 
Lives with ko

macelee wrote:
lobotommy wrote:

As I mentioned this does take a bit time to get used to. May I suggest that you first view a few SGF's with branches before trying to create your own. That will make the learning process easier. The commented games on gogameguru are perfect for this purpose. Note that you can load those games using Go Eye's integrated browser.

Maybe the author can consider providing a tree view in long term. I understand habit is very hard to break.

A tree view is not so friendly for touch devices as the nodes are too small to touch. I got a better idea for presenting variants, inspired by the comments. But please forgive me that I will keep it as a secret for now :) Will improve in future releases.

Post #30 Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:18 am 
Lives with ko

I am happy to announce that the following fixes suggested by lobotommy and mace have been implemented and tested, and will include in the next release of Go Eye.

1. The +black/white stone button now will be used to input consecutive stones.
2. +b/w stone button will be used to add Setup stones (like handicap stones) if it is used for first move.

3. A new option to choose double/single tap switch in settings for user to change the input mode.

4. Slider now will show the move numbers at real time.

Cheers!

Post #31 Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:58 pm 
Lives with ko

Go Eye 1.2.0 is released. So please wait a few minutes(hours) before Apple pushes the binary to your country's appstore. Here are the release notes:

This is a major revision which includes lots of significant improvements.

***PLEASE NOTE: Any app with in-app browser is required to rate 17+ by Apple! ***

1. Book mode major revision. Improved the PDF book page look and feel. Add
captions and auto numbering for figures in main branch and variants. Better
board layout and realistic ko chain display like those printed in paper books.

2. Improved web browsing experience to near perfectness inside Go Eye's embedded
browser.

Support browser login sessions and downloading of SGF attachments or files in
login page, which previously will result in a "Error loading frame" error and
needs to use external browser to import. It now supports directly downloading
games from web sites like go4go.net or lifein19x19.com, etc.

Support direct touch to images in the browser to trigger image recognition of go
games!

Persist web browser status so that you can leave it to other menus in Go Eye and
be back to the same web page again.

Add a home button in browser toolbar. Re-layout iPad toolbar to top to leave
more space for user contents.

3. Improved SGF editing user experience. You now can have single tap option to
input a new stone. You can consecutively place same color of stones using
+(insert) black/white stone buttons. You can add setup stones (like handicap
stones) at the
first move by using these +(insert stone)buttons too.

Fixed game slider bug to make it show moves at real time while you sliding it.

4. Live game refresh! You can pull to refresh online games. This is useful when
you have a live game link. Support pull to refresh for go4go game list too.

5. Keep the status of group opening status in All Games.

6. Bug fixes: Markup tools bug after changing board size in SGF raw text. The
variants for first node are not shown problem in book mode. etc.

We are constantly improving image recognition algorithms. Should you find any
pictures that are not recognized properly, please email us the samples. And
please rate our app.

Post subject: Re: Go Eye released 1.2.0, a rich revision
Post #32 Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:29 pm 
Lives in gote

Update for my review. GoEye 1.2

"Entering a stones"
It's good now. Quick, responsive.
Variations still are not respresented by letters on the board. I'm still trying to get used to current way of presenting variations, but it's hard.

"How about creating some tsumego?" / setting up a position.
Good. Much better than previously. But with one bug wich can cause some problems.
At move#0 enter moves with +⚫/+⚪. Try to delete entered moves - red minus show up but is not active and you can't remove or replace any stone with different colour.

"Slider for a fast game viewing."
Bugs fixed. It's usable now!

Wish list:
Fix a bug with removing stones and entering them with +⚫/+⚪
Option to turn off a move numbers in a bookview.

Crash bug in a bookview:
Enter a stones at move zero with +⚫/+⚪.
Open book view. Try to turn a page. Crash.

It's a good update and it's very nice to have a developer who listen his customers.

It looks like I need to change my opinion about this app. It's a good one now.

Post #33 Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:01 pm 
Lives with ko

Thanks for the feedbacks, lobotommy.

The +/- stone bug causing not able to delete the #0 setup stones was known and it has been fixed. It will be shipped together with V1.2.1 (There are other good features to include in V1.2.1).

The book mode bug was also known and will be fixed.

For variation, yes, a few marks displayed in the board looks acceptable. Will try to improve this part in future version or 1.2.1.

For "Option to turn off a move numbers in a bookview.", what is the intention to do so?

Thanks for detailed feedbacks. Should you find any more problems or wish list, please let us know.

lobotommy wrote:
Update for my review. GoEye 1.2

"Entering a stones"
It's good now. Quick, responsive.
Variations still are not respresented by letters on the board. I'm still trying to get used to current way of presenting variations, but it's hard.

"How about creating some tsumego?" / setting up a position.
Good. Much better than previously. But with one bug wich can cause some problems.
At move#0 enter moves with +⚫/+⚪. Try to delete entered moves - red minus show up but is not active and you can't remove or replace any stone with different colour.

"Slider for a fast game viewing."
Bugs fixed. It's usable now!

Wish list:
Fix a bug with removing stones and entering them with +⚫/+⚪
Option to turn off a move numbers in a bookview.

Crash bug in a bookview:
Enter a stones at move zero with +⚫/+⚪.
Open book view. Try to turn a page. Crash.

It's a good update and it's very nice to have a developer who listen his customers.

It looks like I need to change my opinion about this app. It's a good one now.

Post #34 Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:17 am 
Lives with ko

Go Eye will support iPhone5 in 1.2.1. Finally 4" screen size will be better off reading a go game with more comments.

Post #35 Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:11 am 
Lives with ko

Go Eye 1.2.1

Fully iPhone5 support, optimised for 4" screen, showing more comments. Fully iPad retina display support to have higher definition of display quality.

Important add-on for live broadcasting. Remember the pull down to refresh in 1.2.0? Now we collect live broadcast from famous web sites and compile the contents to you!

Enhance the game list for go4go by graying out the viewed games, so it is now easier for you to know which games have been viewed and which ones are still fresh.

Add offline help content. Now it won't waste your mobile traffic any more for reading some help. You can of course switch to online by clicking the link in the offline help pages.

Many library updates including Facebook API upgrade to latest 3.5 API, OpenCV image processing libraries upgrade.

Many small bug fixes: Cannot remove setup stones at 0 move. Book page not updated after game updated. Fix game title overflow in book page. Performance improvements in database access and game parsing. etc.

Attachments:
iOS Simulator Screen shot 7 May, 2013 10.21.57 PM.png
iOS Simulator Screen shot 7 May, 2013 10.21.57 PM.png [ 642.35 KiB | Viewed 9610 times ]
iOS Simulator Screen shot 7 May, 2013 10.22.35 PM.png
iOS Simulator Screen shot 7 May, 2013 10.22.35 PM.png [ 222.9 KiB | Viewed 9610 times ]

This post by GoEye2012 was liked by: Bonobo

Post #36 Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:37 am 
Lives with ko

GoEye2012 wrote:
Go Eye 1.2.1

Fully iPhone5 support, optimised for 4" screen, showing more comments. Fully iPad retina display support to have higher definition of display quality.

Please note that there is an iOS 6 issue reported by user that cause crash when opening bookmark and download window. We will fix it asap. Thanks.

Post #37 Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:53 am 
Lives in gote

GoEye2012 wrote:

For "Option to turn off a move numbers in a bookview.", what is the intention to do so?

I teach kids and I create a lot of tsumego sets for them. I do a screenshot of tsumego, then combine 6 or more go problems on one page and print. More clean screenshot - less work for me.
If there are move numbers then such tsumego is rather unreadable. Bookview creates very clean view with flat stones, without any distracting textures - which is something I highly appreciate, and made me think of this app as a good one. It simply makes my work easier: I don't need to remove all textures or background images and I don't need to process every image into black and white. But if there are move numbers on every go problem I created I need to do a lot of retouching in photo editor to remove them.

Two things I would like to see in the future updates:
- ability to import/Open in zip files with sgf games - it works, but something is wrong if you try it on iOS 5.1.1: trying to open zip file does not give an option to open with GoEye (iPad1 with iOS 5.1.1). On iOS 6 GoEye is visible in "Open In" window.

- ability to open sgf files sent from SmartGo Kifu. SmartGo Kifu combine all selected files into one sgf file. There are some apps that can open it and divide it into separate games, but unfortunately GoEye can't yet.

Two bugs:
I have encountered some issues after importing collection of problems. If a problem was designed for 7x7 board then in GoEye they appear as 19x19 and are misplaced to the upper left corner of the board instead of lower left corner. I tried to edit SZ parameter in SGf to set it to 9 but then there is problem with position of stones: they are two lines above the bottom. If I could just move all stones like it is possible after image recognition then it would be great. But I would like to open and use 7x7 board sizes in GoEye without any editing and correcting diagrams.

And a second bug (only on Retina devices): after I edit SZ parameter the thumbnail of such sgf file appeared as Non-Retina (a little blurry).

Thanks,
Tomasz

[edit: added info about some issues with importing collection of go problems, typos error)

Last edited by lobotommy on Mon May 13, 2013 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #38 Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:59 pm 
Lives with ko

Thanks very much for providing valuable feedbacks at real time and will address them in future version.

The reason to turn off a move number is understood and it will be included in version 1.2.3 (V 1.2.2 would only provides critical fixes to download/bookmark issues small fixes like board size, and blurred thumbnail).

Go Eye assumes that board size is at least 9x9 (The option menu for board size supports 9x9) We will make it more flexible to support more options 4x4, 5x5, 7x7 (It seems that 4x4 games could also be interesting).

The quick fixes should arrive in a few days.

Importing multiple SGF games from a single SGF file would be OK. Go Eye handles this and drops the later games. We will allow multiple games in importing.

Will check Zip import issue for 5.1.1. It seems that we didn't encountered the problem (I always keep a device running 5.1.1 to ensure testing on the version).

Thanks.

lobotommy wrote:
GoEye2012 wrote:

I teach kids and I create a lot of tsumego sets for them. I do a screenshot of tsumego, then combine 6 or more go problems on one page and print. More clean screenshot - less work for me.
If there are move numbers then such tsumego is rather unreadable. Bookview creates very clean view with flat stones, without any distracting textures - which is something I highly appreciate, and made me think of this app as a good one. It simply makes my work easier: I don't need to remove all textures or background images and I don't need to process every image into black and white. But if there are move numbers on every go problem I created I need to do a lot of retouching in photo editor to remove them.

Two things I would like to see in the future updates:
- ability to import/Open in zip files with sgf games - it works, but something is wrong if you try it on iOS 5.1.1: trying to open zip file does not give an option to open with GoEye (iPad1 with iOS 5.1.1). On iOS 6 GoEye is visible in "Open In" window.

- ability to open sgf files sent from SmartGo Kifu. SmartGo Kifu combine all selected files into one sgf file. There are some apps that can open it and divide it into separate games, but unfortunately GoEye can't yet.

Two bugs:
I have encountered some issues after importing collection of problems. If a problem was designed for 7x7 board then in GoEye they appear as 19x19 and are misplaced to the left right portion of the board instead of lower left corner. I tried to edit SZ parameter in SGf to set it to 9 but then there is problem with position of stones: they are two lines above the bottom. If I could just move all stones like it is possible after image recognision then it would be great. But I would like to open and use 7x7 board sizes in GoEye without any editing and correcting diagrams.

And a second bug (only on Retina devices): after I edit SZ parameter the thumbnail of such sgf file appeared as Non-Retina (a little blurry).

Thanks,
Tomasz

[edit: added info about some issues with importing collection of go problems)

Post subject: Re: Go Eye released 1.2.1, support iPhone5/iPad4 & new feat
Post #39 Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:47 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 12
As to "Open In" zip file on iOS 5.1.1:
Piror to iOS 6.0, there are only 9 or 10 applications can be shown in the "Open In" menu, please see this article for more info.

Post subject: Re: Go Eye released 1.2.1, support iPhone5/iPad4 & new feat
Post #40 Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:57 am 
Lives in gote

xiangz wrote:
As to "Open In" zip file on iOS 5.1.1:
Piror to iOS 6.0, there are only 9 or 10 applications can be shown in the "Open In" menu, please see this article for more info.

Thanks! Problem solved by deleting some unnecesary apps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next