It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Go Style Estimator
Post #21 Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:54 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
I've played 148 games on KGS. Not many but quite a bit more than 40. What kinds of games do you exclude from the sample? Free? Handicap? The latter makes sense to me, the former is awkward because you don't know which free games were serious and which were teaching games or whatever.

A long list of mistakes being reported is good. Not knowing if it's pointing out mistakes made at 20k that I'm no longer making, not so useful. I'll try and dig up a sample of games I recorded and played offline with a more consistent strength rating and see what happens. :)

Post #22 Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:06 am 
Oza

Small sample, I fed it 60 odd games from August to December but it only chose 16 for analysis: http://gostyle.j2m.cz/WAPP_RES/f8957394 ... 67ce0b99c/ (I play a lot of handicap go offline since there's no one for me to play even games with)

Very different results. Thought you might find this interesting. :)

Post #23 Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:53 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Well, we only take into account games played on 19x19, without handicap stones (moreover, the sgf has to be valid and have only one game tree inside, but this is a technicality). The reason is obvious, smaller boardsizes and handicap go have "different" flow of the game and strategies - these cases would need to be treated separately. Of course, this would be really interesting to do and compare the results (e.g. style differences for handicap games, etc.), maybe in the future :-)

Post #24 Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:24 pm 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 3
Universal go server handle: kwhyte
I tried it with some of my games and got 3d +- 2.63, which is a bit high (I'm probably right on the border of 1k/1d). Out of curiosity I also tried it with a collection of 40 or so games of Go Seigen that I had in a collection, and it also ranked him 3d +- 2.63. It did correctly identify that Go Seigen was one of the pros with a similar style to him.

Post #25 Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:53 am 
Beginner

Well, the algorithms are trained on KGS players from 20kyu to 6dan - and this is also the range of the strength scale. So the professional players (or players stronger than 6d) cannot even be classified correctly. On the other hand, the style should fit well.

Post #26 Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:08 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
In my case it says: "The KGS equivalent of strength of the player: 3d ± 2.63". What does that mean? I am an 1k KGS for years now. Does that mean that I am a 3d in EGF or where?

Post #27 Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:33 pm 
Oza

Pippen wrote:
In my case it says: "The KGS equivalent of strength of the player: 3d ± 2.63". What does that mean? I am an 1k KGS for years now. Does that mean that I am a 3d in EGF or where?

It means 3d KGS I think from the wording and what's been said on here. It's out by around 3 stones for me as well, I'm closer to 8k than the 5k it came up with.

Post #28 Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:27 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
Boidhre wrote:
Pippen wrote:

It means 3d KGS I think from the wording and what's been said on here. It's out by around 3 stones for me as well, I'm closer to 8k than the 5k it came up with.

Well, but then the calculation is just wrong. I checked other players who have pretty stable ranks and they were all judged about 2-3 ranks stronger which is a contradiction to their actual ranks over the years and after thousands of games on KGS. It seems contradictory to say: You are a 3d on KGS while I am a 1k on KGS...or maybe it means: you could be a 3d if you played a little bit better?

Post #29 Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:38 am 
Oza

Pippen wrote:
Boidhre wrote:
Pippen wrote:

Well, but then the calculation is just wrong. I checked other players who have pretty stable ranks and they were all judged about 2-3 ranks stronger which is a contradiction to their actual ranks over the years and after thousands of games on KGS. It seems contradictory to say: You are a 3d on KGS while I am a 1k on KGS...or maybe it means: you could be a 3d if you played a little bit better?

I put in a few people I know and they were all overestimated in rank if it's KGS rank that is estimated.

Post #30 Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:33 pm 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 3
KGS: Alexfrog
Is the app still working?

Every time i try it recently I get Error 500 - Internal Server Error.

Post #31 Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:39 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Alexfrog wrote:
[..] I get Error 500 - Internal Server Error.
same for me

Post #32 Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:03 am 
Beginner

OGS: NanashiHItori
Online playing schedule: 16:00 - 20:00 UTC
Same here. It was an interesting app. The style was indeed right but the rank was not.