All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mobile Client for playing Turn Based
Post #21 Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:32 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
mdobbins wrote:
I wanted to make it easy to explore games in general on the server, but not make it too easy to tempt/encourage people to always do it during playing. So I can't see that I would ever include it in player directly.

Aren't we all grown up enough to decide that for ourselves? ;-)
Honestly, this is the main benefit for me in playing turn based, that I am able to try out different variations, before I decide on my move. I will ALWAYS do that when I play turn based.

(By the way: this is also implemented on OGS.)

Post subject: Re: Mobile Client for playing Turn Based
Post #22 Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:56 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 64
GD Posts: 2067
KGS: mgd
DGS: mdobbins
Helel wrote:
SpongeBob wrote:
mdobbins wrote:
I wanted to make it easy to explore games in general on the server, but not make it too easy to tempt/encourage people to always do it during playing. So I can't see that I would ever include it in player directly.

Aren't we all grown up enough to decide that for ourselves? ;-)
Honestly, this is the main benefit for me in playing turn based, that I am able to try out different variations, before I decide on my move. I will ALWAYS do that when I play turn based.

(By the way: this is also implemented on OGS.)

There is really no point in trying to make people behave according to some moral code.
Let them be the moral cripples that they are, at least they will be happy that way. :twisted:

It is not a case of enforcing some moral code, after all it is easy to download and explore as much as you want. In fact it may actually be easier with the client as you can do both without changing to a different tool.

It takes effort I am not willing to spend in development and support at this point given how easy it is to remember a move in the editor and enter it in the player versus how much more I would have to invest in interface widgets and making sure that a valid move was selected to send to the server and the fact that I would never use it.

I am sympathetic to other peoples desires, but that gets filtered through how much time I have available, and what I think is interesting to work on next.

Your question in this area has caused me to think about what it would take, I can imagine how to do it, but it still is down near the bottom on my value/effort/desire to implement list. The list of what I do want to do with this client is still pretty long and focused on more universal features like starting and ending games, etc. I can't say that I would never change my mind, but a lot has to get done before I would consider it. If I get to the point of doing conditional moves in the client, then this feature would probably just fall out.

little by little.

This post by mdobbins was liked by: SpongeBob