It is currently Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: go tesuji - spaced repetition android app
Post #1 Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:21 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I recently came across an android app called go tesuji. The app has a few functions that makes it a very attractive tesuji training method. The first is that it uses spaced repetition, which is a learning method based on showing you material that you have mastered less frequently than material you are still struggling with. Go tesuji's implementation of spaced repetition is a bit primitive, compared for example to anki, but that's a minor complaint considering that I haven't seen it implemented at all anywhere before, and I think that it is a promising method.

Other complaints that I have about the app are also minor, such as the app crashing or not doing a good job displaying on my small screen, but they are far outweighed by its positive features. Aside from the innovative use of spaced repetition, the app always rotates repeated problems. Here's how the app works: When you see a problem, the app tells you how many moves the tesuji entails, and after you have made that number of moves, you can check to see if you got it right. You are shown the correct answer with the moves numbered and are told how long it will be until the app shows you the problem again (depending on your history with the problem). Furthermore, you are offered two very useful options. first, you have navigation buttons, so that you can look at the solution move for move. I am not good with numbered diagrams, and I find this a fantastic feature. The second is called "check," which shows you the initial position and lets you place stones wherever you want. This lets you compare your wrong answer with the solution, try out alternative responses to the correct moves, or to continue the sequence after the solution to verify why it is good.

I don't know how many problems the app includes, but they are divided up into 4 levels, 1,2,3 and yose. Level 1 problems are either 1 or 3 moves, and level 2 are more elaborate. I haven't tried the other levels yet, but from the problems I've seen, my sense is that it is a good selection. I hope that this app gets developed further with the bugs getting ironed out and more problems added, but I'm already glad to recommend it.

Post subject: Re: go tesuji - spaced repetition android app
Post #2 Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:15 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
This sounds pretty cool! I'm not sure how useful SRS is would be with tsumego, but the fact that it institutes a schedule is something that appeals to me.

Thanks for the review.

Post subject: Re: go tesuji - spaced repetition android app
Post #3 Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:43 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
I've just tried it out, and my observations are as follows:

After I had downloaded it, it have tested it for about half an hour. The app seems to make extensive use of battery power. at least 3-5 times more than the radio app or the music app. It won't be a problem if you keep your device connected.

As for the funcionality I like the idea of spaced repetition very much and am using it currently for learning a foreign language (selfstudy). My repetition intervals there are 0 days (until I know the word/expression), 1 day, 2 days, 4 days and 8 days, and I have very good experience with these. When using the tesuji app however, you will never be asked a tesuji problem again (i.e. not within the next three months), when you have correctly solved it incidentally the first time you were asked. This seems plain wrong. I want to be sure that I am able to solve the problems immediately on sight, and not just incidentally. That would require some repetitions as well. You could trick the app by giving a wrong solution intentionally, but that is certainly suboptimal...

Well, after all it is free of charge, so no reason to complain. ;-)