Post subject: SmartGo vs Goeye
Post #1 Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:37 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 1
KGS: 2d
Tygem: 6d
Hello
I am planning to buy go app for pro games study/ problem solving.
Can anyone who bought both apps help me with pros and cons?
For the obvious reasons I am not interested in developers opinion.
Thanks in advance!

Post #2 Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:26 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 15
Universal go server handle: DrQuantum
I have both, and the only advantage GoEye has over Smartgo is the integration it has with go4go and the ability to easily get games into its database. The way that it marks variations made when studying is, to me, thoroughly opaque. Instead of the ubiquitous branch diagram, GoEye uses a small board icon that appears whenever there is a branch (or two if there are two branches going). Keeping track of which icon is associated with which variation branch is impossible when studying. Game with several variations that exist at once, and it can be very frustrating as a result. Since studying annotated games, and commenting on my own or others' games when I study is the primary reason I have these tools, that means that essentially I wasted the purchase price of GoEye. I would go 100% with smartgo and not think twice about it. There really is no contest.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:17 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
I agree with Quantum about having hard times with branches in GoEye, however there are features not available in other apps. Go4Go integration, photo/graphics to sgf option, quite good options for sorting files, updates to actually running games(!) - pull to refresh option. The latter is very nice - It's possible to view games from Kgs on iOS via KGSArchives (games are there updated with every move). Ok that's all for now, maybe more later ;)

[Later...]
These apps shouldn't be compared in versus mode. They have different set of features so direct comparison is always unfair in one or other way. Similar thing goes with EasyGo app. Very good app for different usage scenarios. Ok, in every app you can edit and review games and every mentioned app is great to do it, but very additional features makes each of these apps quite unique. EasyGo is best to study go problems and import games batches in zip, internal www browser also available inside the app, very good built in tsumego section. GoEye is great for viewing new international games from Go4Go or other go sites, and also for games from KGSArchives, pdf export. SmartGo Kifu - biggest offline database of games (GoGoD), players encyclopaedia, joseki/fuseki recognition, book view of sgf, ability to play against AI.
So each of these apps has it's own very good set of unique features.
In short - such comparisons should not be "vs" because these apps are complementary to each other.

This post by lobotommy was liked by: jenson