It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boards from USA craftsmen
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:08 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 40
I’ve owned (and sold or given away) several exquisite table go boards over the decades: hiba, kaya, purpleheart, spruce, agathis, and maple. I’ve been trying to find a new, high quality board and discovered that most of the old sources for good equipment have either dried up completely or, in the case of Kuroki, for instance, prices and shipping have inflated to a point where they no longer can be rationalized by my desire. So, if I’m going to spend some money, I’d like to support an onshore woodworker. I have come across only one craftsman who is making go boards. Do you know of others?

(link will die eventually): [url]https://www.etsy.com/listing/558689949/full-size-19x19-maple-goban?ref=rv_more-1-8
[/url]

Woodson Woodcraft is in Seattle. He’s used glued up maple, a CNC router to engrave his lines, and filled the lines with black epoxy. If you look carefully at one of the glued joint closeups, he doesn’t quite have this process perfected yet. I don’t have a problem with such imperfections, they are what give any handmade artifact its distinction.

I’d like to locate or contact some other woodworkers who would know a go board from a cutting board. Your suggestions would be appreciated.