It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yang stone vs yunzi stone difference?
Post #1 Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:01 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hello Everyone,

I recently started playing go, I been wanting to get a professional set of Go Stones for a while now but I'm not really sure what to get and there are too many questions behide each brand of Go Stones.

There are three brand I have in mind
Yunzi stone
Six brother co.
Jangstone

I did a price check on all of them of the same size Go stone, why are the Yunzi Go stones cheaper then the other brands, even tho they are regarded as the standard of go stones? Do they still have leads? I did a long search regarding the leads in yunzi go stones. I heard all the "New" Yunzi Go stones has low leads under 3pp but the new 9.2mm size yunzi stones which still has high lead amount?

I tried to look for 9.2mm yunzi but I never able to find any of it online. Only one I could find is the ones in a set that comes with cups and Go board.

Can anyone tell me a comparison of the three brands of go stones?
Like their feels, looks, quality, and ect..

Post subject: Re: Yang stone vs yunzi stone difference?
Post #2 Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:42 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 56
If I recall it right, Jangstone are a little more regular than six brothers, both are glass.

I kinda like glass because it is so easy to clean. Just use some washing-up liquid and leave it out to dry on a towel when you're done.

Well, you can wipe them individually if you really want to. But if you want to do that, you might as well get yunzi instead. I think you can still wash them in the same way, but you have to oil them after, and wipe them down individually unless you want to have oily stones.

The biggest difference in daily use is that the yunzi are a little bit warmer to the touch. You might also prefer light green and extremely dark green over the plain white and black of glass stones.

Another thing about yunzi is that you can get single convex ones, which have one side flat. It's a matter of preference, but it can be very jarring if it's not your preference.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:12 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Hi Creatorkai,
It is probably primarily a matter of taste, personal preference and budget.
I have several sets, including a 8.8 mm yunzi. I like them a lot. In fact, I prefer them over glass.
As tentano said, you like the touch of it (or not).
Glass can be a bit slippery, but yunzi feels more solid between my - clumsy - fingers. My yunzi of 8.8 even feel thicker than 8.8 glass, perhaps for the same reason: it's surface feels more rough than glass and it also weighs slightly more than glass. And I take the discussion about lead in yunzi with a grain of salt. If you wash and oil them even only once, surface lead will most probably not noticeable (if any). The lead discussion only holds if you intend to eat them. I also like the aesthetics of the yunzi. You can get yunzi in single convex or bi-convex, an equal personal choice. I do not know if they are (generally) considered as 'professional' stones though.
Still, your choice.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:49 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Yunzi are glass. Technically they're ceramic, but that's just another type of glass, afterall. Made from molten crushed stone (just like glass). They are fragile and break just like glass.

tentano wrote:
I think you can still wash them in the same way, but you have to oil them after, and wipe them down individually unless you want to have oily stones.

have to? why? they're just glass.

tentano wrote:
The biggest difference in daily use is that the yunzi are a little bit warmer to the touch.

?!?

lead oxide has typically been used in the manufacturing process as it lowers the melting point of the glass mixture, making it easier to work with the molten mixture and with lower temperatures.

here's an interesting video (in chinese) about the manufacture of yunzi stones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPdk6PbFbZk

Post #5 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:01 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
I have both and like both. My Yunzi are definitely more uniform and better shaped than my Korean glass stones. I also like the Yunzi feel.

Both stones have been dropped from table height onto tile at the pizza place where we play. So far no broken stones. They are both glass but rather durable.

I wish to get some Chinese flat Yunzis one day.

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

Post #6 Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:42 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 414
Was liked: 461
xed_over wrote:
tentano wrote:
I think you can still wash them in the same way, but you have to oil them after, and wipe them down individually unless you want to have oily stones.

have to? why? they're just glass.

Well, I have heard that it reduces friction, making them less likely to crack in the bowl, but even if that's not true, due to the matte surface, black Yunzi stones look dull and grey if they are not oiled. A touch of oil makes them look black and pleasantly shiny.

Personally, I prefer the look and feel of Yunzi. The slight translucency makes the white stones look more interesting, and it never fails to impress newcomers to the game to have them hold a black stone up to the light. :D

This post by Inkwolf was liked by: Bonobo

Post #7 Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:44 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Tygem: yangatpng
I just use water to wash my Yunzi, sometimes add some dish-washer.