It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a slotted Go board
Post #1 Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:01 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
Hello,

I'm new to the game and I'm looking for a nice slotted Goban that I could put in my backpack and take with me to coffee shops or friends' houses.

The existing links to slotted boards across topics in the forum mostly point to ymimports.com and are currently broken 404 links.

My budget is USD ~$200 just for the board. I have no idea about the differences between good and bad boards, but I am a quality freak, so would like something that feels and looks nice and solid. The reason I don't want a folding board is because the gap along the folding line does not feel nice.

A soft board does not feel nice also. At that point I might as well just use a large tablet, which is what I'm doing right now.

I did come across a nice slotted board at a local Go enthusiasts' club here in Austin that I liked the feel of, but the guy said he got it 30 years ago, and those are no longer in production.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by sssilver on Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:32 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
sssilver wrote:
My budget is ~$200.
Hi sssilver,

Which currency ? Is that US$ ? Is the $200 just for the board,
or for the entire set ( board + stones + bowls ) ?

If it's US$200 just for board, I would recommend you get a nice table board --
you get a much better deal than a folding board. Although I understand the portability issue. :)

I've been carrying my 2" table board (shown in my avatar) for over 10 years to coffee shops
(now twice a week for our Go club). I don't mind it, but I can see it's too much for others. :)

Post subject: Re:
Post #3 Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:34 pm 
Beginner

EdLee wrote:
sssilver wrote:
My budget is ~$200.
Hi sssilver,

Which currency ? Is that US$ ? Is the $200 just for the board,
or for the entire set ( board + stones + bowls ) ?

If it's US$200 just for board, I would recommend you get a nice table board --
you get a much better deal than a folding board. Although I understand the portability issue. :)

It's just for the board (updated the main topic).

A nice table board wouldn't work for me, because I need to put it in my backpack. I don't want a folding board, I want a slotted board.

Post subject:
Post #4 Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:35 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
You should be able to get a nice slotted board for much less than US$200.

Post subject: Re:
Post #5 Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:39 pm 
Beginner

EdLee wrote:
You should be able to get a nice slotted board for much less than US$200.

I updated the head, yes it is US Dollars (isn't that kinda assumed in casual settings by the $ sign?).

If you know of a nice slotted board for under $200, can you help me find it? The only one I found had weird lime'ish color around the sides, and I wasn't sure about the overall quality.

Unrelated: I want to avoid cluttering the responses with these clarifications and prefer to update the original post, as that makes it easier for future people to find the entire information by not having to sift through these conversations.

Post subject: Re: Re:
Post #6 Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:06 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 238
Was liked: 60
Hi sssilver

I found this e-shop with the browser:
http://www.uncommongames.com/product/p-229-go-board-wood-slotted.aspx
I cannot recommend, nor advise against, since I don't know the site, nor the product but it is indeed a slotted board ;-)

sssilver wrote:
I am a quality freak, so would like something that feels and looks nice and solid

btw, IMHO I would recommend a folding board with conifer wood (spruce = shin kaya) like this from the same site:
http://www.uncommongames.com/product/p-228-go-board-spruce-folding.aspx
better quality and much more in the "aesthetic japanese canon", as you can see also from the price: it doubles, but still in your budget.

Good luck with your search! :tmbup:

This post by Galation was liked by: sssilver

Post #7 Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:10 pm 
Beginner

Galation wrote:
Hi sssilver

I cannot recommend, nor advise against, since I don't know the site, nor the product but it is indeed a slotted board ;-)

sssilver wrote:
I am a quality freak, so would like something that feels and looks nice and solid

btw, IMHO I would recommend a folding board with conifer wood (spruce = shin kaya) like this from the same site:
http://www.uncommongames.com/product/p-228-go-board-spruce-folding.aspx
better quality and much more in the "aesthetic japanese canon", as you can see also from the price: it doubles, but still in your budget.

Good luck with your search! :tmbup:

Thank you so much! These look great, especially the second one. If I find nothing better, that's probably the one I'll end up purchasing.

My concern with a folding board is that the metal hinges have to take some space beyond the wood surface, which means the board either doesn't sit completely flat on the surface, or the gap between the 2 sides is significant (and hence feels awkward to put stones on), or both. But the pictures don't look that way.

Does anyone have any experience with folding boards? Do they have any of these problems, and if not, how do they overcome them?

Post subject: Re: Looking for a slotted Go board
Post #8 Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:11 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
I've got a folding Go board (Agathis) - though it was a present so I don't know where it came from.

Quote:
My concern with a folding board is that the metal hinges have to take some space beyond the wood surface, which means the board either doesn't sit completely flat on the surface, or the gap between the 2 sides is significant (and hence feels awkward to put stones on), or both. But the pictures don't look that way.

actually you're overlooking a third option - the design of the board could be such that it sits perfectly flat - but slopes slightly up towards the hinges* so that the join is properly closed and the board sits flat on the surface below - anything less is an unusable board (but I supose it would be possible in really cheap ones).

* - I've not noticed it before, I thought it got thinner but now I've measured it, it appears slightly curved towards the hinge point - not noticeable in use.

Actually you can see this in (random internet search) - this shogi board (third photo)http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/g-store/item/10000340/g-store@fork.ocn.ne.jp

- it's not warped but like that by design.

btw, my board is similar to this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NINTENDO-JAPAN-JAPANESE-IGO-GO-potable-board-5gou-/151163555276?hash=item23320ccdcc:g:fykAAOxydB1SgCX5 - and I'd probably get one like that, especially since it's made by Nintendo :)

Another folding board for consideration:
https://shop.gogameguru.com/intrepid-go-game-set/

Post #9 Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:10 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
The Go Game Guru board is a decent portable playing surface, but not suitable for someone who is annoyed by hinges or looking for an exceptionally high quality board.

Kurokigoishi has a no-hinge folding go board that may fit your budget even with international shipping: http://shop.kurokigoishi.co.jp/en/item/166.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:31 am 
Beginner

Such wonderful options, thank you guys!

So between Nintendo, Kurokigoishi, the Intrepid set, and the spruce board, which one is the better board?

Post #11 Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:07 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10287
I got this off a Japanese auction site. Best travel board I've even seen.

This post by tchan001 was liked by: Galation

Post #12 Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:05 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 71
sssilver wrote:
Such wonderful options, thank you guys!

So between Nintendo, Kurokigoishi, the Intrepid set, and the spruce board, which one is the better board?

I can't quite remember but isn't the Nintendo set a travel size? not a full size board? Full sized boards are maybe 45cm long.

Have you checked out 6 Brothers Baduk? I don't know if you'll be able to find a Western reseller as their website looks a bit impenetrable.

Have you checked out Yellow Mountain Imports? It's worth checking.

I have a Kurokigoishi board and I treasure it. I also play on it often. The packaging was almost as good as the board itself. Never in my life have I seen as much polystyrene.

Post #13 Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:18 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Galation wrote:

I have this board. I bought it from a local shop.
I don't understand why it has the extra slots on the outside edges of the board. Its weird. Its the only thing I don't like about the board.

I've been wanting a good slotted board for years, but manufacturers just don't make those any more.

Post #14 Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:25 am 
Lives in sente

Stay away from the Intrepid Go set. The board isn't bad, but it has exactly the annoyances you were looking to avoid. (incidentally, it is from 6 brothers baduk)

Post #15 Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:42 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 180
sssilver wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with folding boards? Do they have any of these problems, and if not, how do they overcome them?

While I do not know if any folding go boards are made this way, it IS possible to have a hinged board where the hinges do not protrude below the plane of the bottom when the board is open, where there is no open crack between the halves when open, and where the halves close in complete contact when the board folded. That's speaking of this as a problem in woodworking. You were perhaps considering only simple one pin hinges, hinges not inset, non-critical edges not relieved, etc.? Think about the problem again assuming two pin hinges (link connected hinges), inset, and bottom edges below the points of rotation relieved.

Again, I do not know if any folding boards use such a complex solution. The folding boards I have solve the problem a much simpler way. Ordinary hinges, not inset so protruding below the plane of the wood, then at each corner of the board, pads the same thickness that the hinges protrude. That means the board, when open, rests on the hinges in the middle and those pads at the outside edges, perfectly flat and stable.

Post #16 Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:50 am 
Beginner

Sounds like I'll be getting the Kurokigoishi board then! You guys have been immensely helpful.

So with a board like this, what size of stones would be ideal?

Post #17 Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:45 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 71
Thickness and material are an individual's preference so there is no wrong answer. I'd stay away from plastic unless they are weighted like Ing stones. yunzi stones are nice, as are some of the glass stones made in Korea by various labels. You probably don't want slate and shell. It is a lot of expense and a lot of workmanship for something in a backpack. I myself have 7.5mm glass stones for travel as they are less bulky and I have slate and shell for home use.

Post #18 Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:22 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
yeah, as a traveling set, I'd recommend Ing stones (https://www.yutopian.com/go/stone/st060.html) for the durability. You can store them in more portable containers if you'd like.

For casual play (and assuming you're not using Ing fillin counting), you'd only need about 150 stones each (rather than the full set of 180)

Post #19 Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:53 am 
Lives in sente

The durability won't be as good as the Ing stones, but the stones from the Intrepid go set (the go bento box) have a pretty nice feel and are very compact. You will want something to wrap around the box to keep it closed if you go that route, though. You should also be aware that the set includes 160 stones of each color instead of a full complement of 180. Despite the drawbacks, I find it to be a nice set of travel stones.

Post #20 Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:45 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
I still love my olden beechwood veneer board with magnetic hinge — and it’s reversible, with a 13x13 grid on the back side.

http://www.hebsacker-verlag.de/buchenfu ... r-p-7.html

This is in Germany, but they may also ship to the USA – ask them via contact link, they’re friendly.

This post by Bonobo was liked by 2 people: Bantari, FredV