It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Equipment in the US for new player
Post #1 Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:57 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a set so I can play this wonderful game I just discovered.
I am not looking into anything really fancy but I'd really like to find a board that is 19x19 on one side and 13x13 on the other (and shin kaya if possible) . My budget is 100-200$. Glass stones are perfectly fine, I don't need shell and slate.

Can I find that somewhere? I have been trying to look online but this kind of reversible board doesn't seem to be very popular (the other side is usually 9x9, not 13x13).

Post subject: Re: Equipment in the US for new player
Post #2 Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:05 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
At Yellow Mountain Imports, at least, you can get a 19x19 spruce (shin-kaya) board and yunzi stones with bowls for a bit over $100. They've had reversible boards in the past, but I don't see one there now. If you really want a 13x13 board, you can purchase one separately and still fit well within your budget.

Another good place to look is Yutopian, which may be able to supply the kind of board you're looking for, along with relatively inexpensive stones.

Edit:
A quick look on amazon also brings up a shin kaya board from YMI that is 19x19 and 13x13 for around $80. Not sure why it's not on their main website.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:42 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 36
GoGameGuru has a reversible 9x9 and 13x13 for $35. Then you can pick up a separate 19x19 board from them for $50, plus stones for $37, all shin-kaya.

As for a single board with a 19x19 and a 13x13, I have the Yellow Mountain Imports one, and I can recommend it, but I also paid $40 for it about a year ago. After AlphaGo, YMI and sellers on amazon doubled their prices.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:57 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 235
Was liked: 77
Universal go server handle: fireproof
I've had the YMI 19x19 / 13x13 board for years and it's been perfectly serviceable. They're on YMI's website now for $68: http://www.ymimports.com/collections/go ... yn-ts012-a

Post #5 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:44 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Thank you everybody.

fireproof wrote:
I've had the YMI 19x19 / 13x13 board for years and it's been perfectly serviceable. They're on YMI's website now for $68: http://www.ymimports.com/collections/go ... yn-ts012-a

It's not in stock :(. That was exactly what I was looking for though. I'll wait a little to see if they get it back soon. Otherwise I might go with what sparky recommended.

skydyr wrote:
At Yellow Mountain Imports, at least, you can get a 19x19 spruce (shin-kaya) board and yunzi stones with bowls for a bit over $100. They've had reversible boards in the past, but I don't see one there now. If you really want a 13x13 board, you can purchase one separately and still fit well within your budget.

Another good place to look is Yutopian, which may be able to supply the kind of board you're looking for, along with relatively inexpensive stones.

Edit:
A quick look on amazon also brings up a shin kaya board from YMI that is 19x19 and 13x13 for around $80. Not sure why it's not on their main website.

I can't find it on amazon. I find a bamboo one, but not a shin kaya.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:15 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
I have the bamboo one (3/4" thick, 19x19 and 13x13) from YMI. At this point, I've had it for a few years and use yunzi stones on it, and have no real complaints. It is harder than a lot of other materials, a bit darker, and shows the bamboo joints on the board, but I've never found it distracting.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:39 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 8
pierrefr wrote:
(shin kaya if possible)

Yellow Mountain Imports has a shin kaya floor board (19x19) on eBay right now for around $70. It doesn't have the 13x13, but it's got legs.

I have the reversible shin kaya board from them, which usually sells for around $80 (shipped). It's also great, but it's frequently out of stock. Perhaps buying a 13x13 separately is your best bet if you want to order it quickly.

Edit: Nevermind. The floor boards have apparently sold out :\ Boards are going like hot cakes nowadays!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shin-Kaya-1-6-G ... SwzvlW-96W