It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it worth it to buy from Kuroki
Post #1 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:45 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 0
OGS: nj_wms
Hi, everyone. I am considering to buy a new set of go for myself. However, I am having trouble deciding which place I should buy from. Obviously, I have the options of buying from Kuroki and GGG. From my research, Kuroki has a beginner set that cost around 220 USD; however, the shipping itself will cost me around 100 USD from Kuroki. On the other hand, GGG has a deluxe set that costs around the same. Now I am having trouble deciding whether I should get the beginner's set from Kuroki or not given around 1/3 of the cost will be shipping cost. Also, I have a budget of 300-500 dollars; is there a better option for me?
Thank you all very much for your time.

I put the links of each one below so you guys could help me decide :D
http://shop.kurokigoishi.co.jp/en/item/453
https://shop.gogameguru.com/deluxe-go-game-set/

Post subject: Re: Is it worth it to buy from Kuroki
Post #2 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:34 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 55
Was liked: 179
KGS: Erythen
Wbaduk: Erythen
OGS: Erythen
Universal go server handle: Erythen
Online playing schedule: Beijing Time: Usually between 20:00 - 22:00
Of those two options I'd prefer Mr. Kuroki's. The disadvantage is that the stones in his set are size 28 which is a little small, though not bad. Some people prefer smaller, and some larger. I have extensive dealings with Mr. Kuroki and he takes very good care of his customers.

Whenever I sell used size 28 slate and shell stones with bowls it is usually in the $120 - $150 range so what you're getting from him is a pretty good deal if it's new and including the board. Another thing to keep in mind is that the yen currently has a favorable 10% exchange rate to the dollar right now.

I've never dealt with GoGameGuru, but they have a good reputation so going with them is also a good move. Personally I do not like the feel or look of glass stones.

Weighted plastic Ing stones from Yutopian are popular among people here on the forum. I've never played with them, but I would like to purchase a set to try out. They won't chip or nick as readily as glass and will look nicer on the board.

Another option might be to mix and match from different sellers.

Last edited by Erythen on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:35 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 36
Yes, I'd highly recommend Kuroki. I'm also a big fan of the shell stones over glass or yunzi, they just look so much better on the board. But...and here's the big thing...it's all a matter of personal taste. Some people prefer plastic stones on a foldable board, some prefer online, some don't care. I just happen to like the aesthetic of the shell stones. So choose what you like the best, because you're going to be playing on it.

Here's a couple of youtube videos of how he makes the stones and how he lays the lacquer on the boards.

This post by sparky314 was liked by 2 people: Erythen, Galation

Post #4 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:53 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
You could also try Yutopian (they are a regular vendor at US Go Congresses)
http://www.yutopian.com/go/

Post #5 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:12 pm 
Beginner

Thank you all for your answers. I have decided to get a set from Kuroki based on the posts. Now I am really hesitating on whether I should buy the blue label stones or the blossom stones. Could anyone tell how different they are and whether it's worth to get blossom stones?

Post #6 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:21 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 55
Was liked: 179
KGS: Erythen
Wbaduk: Erythen
OGS: Erythen
Universal go server handle: Erythen
Online playing schedule: Beijing Time: Usually between 20:00 - 22:00
Do you mean Jitsuyo (Standard/practical) or Hana (Blossom for Special Hyuga stones)?

Jitsuyo is for Mexican stones and Hana is for Hyuga (Suwabute) stones.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:10 pm 
Lives with ko

From Kuroki, the blue label and the premium are both made from Mexican clams. He also has the "Legendary Hyuga" which are made from the Japanese clams.

Snow grade (extremely expensive) has straight lines on the stones.
Blossom grade has semi-straight lines, but don't have the straight lines of the snow grade.

See the pictures on his site for these:
http://shop.kurokigoishi.co.jp/en/item/208

Blue label are stones that don't meet the strict quality of the snow/blossom grade stones. But I have a set of the blue label, and they look great.

The difference is a small matter of aesthetics. If you're really interested in figuring out if its worth it for the more expensive stones, then get a sample of each (available via his site) and take a look. I'd point more to the blue label, and getting the size you want. If you have a large disposable income, and want to spend a couple of grand on stones, by all means, but unless you're a collector, blue label is probably enough. I'd spend more money getting the size that you want in the blue label series than on getting the better grade stones. (Edit: Blossom stones cost twice as much as blue label for the same size, as of this writing.)

From Erythen:
Quote:
Yuki (Snow) grade - These stones are cut from near the base of the clamshell where the grain is finer. The grain will generally be strait. Because it's cut near the base, you can't get more than one, maybe two (if you're lucky) stones from a large shell.

Tsuki (Moon) grade - These stones are cut from the center. They'll still have a nice grain but not as fine as Snow Grade. Furthermore, there will be a slight curve in the grain along the sides of the stone. You'll tend to get 2 - 3 stones from a shell.

Jitsuyo (Standard) grade - These stones are cut at the widest end of the shell so the grain isn't at all fine, but you can get a lot more of them. Where each shell might get one snow grade stone, you can get 4-6 standard grade. The grain on a standard stone might curve like a moon grade, but with most sets I've seen, it'll wrap around the stone in a wide arc.

Source: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8967

I have size 30 blue label stones, and size 33 moon grade stones (purchased prior to the changes in January). I prefer the size 33 stones (for their size), but both look great on the board.

This post by sparky314 was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, nj_wms

Post #8 Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:05 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 5
KGS: 6
Well, I've never been in front of a good Go set but I find quite surprising that everyone would prefer Kuroki's. I'm thinking too about getting a set and I thought that it was more importante the board (GGG is 6 cm, K's is 2.9 and multipiece) than the stones (I suppose the bowls are similar in quality, please tell me if I'm wrong). I get that S&S stones are far superior than glass ones, but there's even a difference in size (28 to 36). I was thinking about getting some set alike the deluxe of ggg or the pro but now you's given me doubts... could you please expand your thinking about why you would go for the beginner's set at Kuroki's?

Thx!!

Post #9 Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:05 pm 
Lives with ko

The "beginner's" set isn't really a beginner set, but its not as expensive compared to the kaya boards and other stones.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you prefer.

Here's one of my sets (size 30 blue label stones, a shin kaya board, with kuri bowls): http://imgur.com/a/e6vH7

Edit:
Why I prefer Kuroki (purely aesthetics):
1. Craftsmanship is excellent
2. I have a kaya from Kuroki which I use at home, and it's beautiful. When I travel, I use a shin kaya, which I prefer over (painted) agathis.
3. I like the look of clamshell stones better than the glass stones.

Last edited by sparky314 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by sparky314 was liked by: Bonobo

Post #10 Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:07 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
I much prefer the quality of his stuff to GGG’s. GGG’s boards look like plywood (I even like YMI’s boards more for shin kaya). Their non-shin-kaya agathis boards painted with yellow paint and sound/feel accordingly. Glass stones sit lopsided on the board and have many imperfections and bumps on the surface. The clam stones are more expensive than same size from KG and also look ugly (with yellow spots).

Post #11 Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:33 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 5
KGS: 6
Sparky, that set looks really nice. Ok, I'll go for Kuroki's! Now I have to decide if going for the beginner's set or saving more money for something better. I can see myself buying and upgrading from time to time, but the shipping costs from Spain to Japan is a pain in the ass! Nevertheless getting a 2 sun table board, size 36 stones and bowls from Kuroki (or something like that) it would be far above my budget unfortunatelly. Their shin-kaya 2-sun is sold out :-(, maybe I can get the Hiba but I don't know if that'd be ok with stones so thin and I'd lost my "set discount".

Post #12 Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:48 pm 
Dies in gote

I would get their simple no-hinge folding board, which is like $40 (plus $40 for shipping — to the US at least) and whatever stones/bowls you like. This will give you something to play on (and possibly take to a club). Then, once you save up more/once they have a better board you like, you can get one of those. The sound and look for the no-hinge folding board is not kaya-level, but it’s pretty nice for the price.

Post #13 Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:14 pm 
Dies in gote

Does anyone know how Kurokigoishi's Blue Label stones compare to jitsuyo of other Japanese stone distributors? I'm asking because he currently doesn't have size 36, so I'm considering getting that elsewhere. I got a sampler of size 38 and would be satisfied with Blue Label quality in smaller size.

Post #14 Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:32 pm 
Beginner

want to know too

AnarchoChossid wrote:
Does anyone know how Kurokigoishi's Blue Label stones compare to jitsuyo of other Japanese stone distributors? I'm asking because he currently doesn't have size 36, so I'm considering getting that elsewhere. I got a sampler of size 38 and would be satisfied with Blue Label quality in smaller size.

Post #15 Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:47 pm 
Lives with ko

I don't have time tonight, but tomorrow, I'll try to post a picture of the blue label vs the moon grade (no longer available, in between blossom and snow).

Also, Kuroki has pictures of the blossom on his site, and you can see the pictures I did post. But I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

Post #16 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:01 am 
Dies in gote

So, snow > moon > blossom > blue label > standard/jitsu-yo?

Post subject:
Post #17 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:15 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
AnarchoChossid wrote:
So, snow > moon > blossom > blue label > standard/jitsu-yo?
I'm also curious about where the new blossom and blue label stand in the spectrum (usually, there's a direct coorelation to their prices?).

Post #18 Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:42 pm 
Lives with ko

Blue Label: http://imgur.com/a/BHmPX

Moon: http://imgur.com/a/sdxOi

Side-by-side (blue label on left, moon on right): http://imgur.com/QKyYfeo

I couldn't get a good side-by-side, due to shadows, camera, probably too many stones for comparison...

In general, you'll find more consistent, tighter lines on the moon grade. The blue label has several stones with few lines on them, that have a large arc, wider gaps between some of the lines, etc.

This post by sparky314 was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Heretix

Post #19 Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:55 am 
Dies in gote

Thanks!