It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go store on Shinjuko
Post #1 Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:58 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any comments/recommendations regarding this go equipment store: http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~goban/engli ... rsion.html

In particular, how does the quality of their products compare to Kurokigoishiten? (I am very satisfied with the products I have received from KGT so far, but they don’t currently have kaya boards I might be interested in buying, or size 36 standard grade stones.)

Post subject: Re: Go store on Shinjuko
Post #2 Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:24 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 5
I have purchased a number of items from this store and feel the quality and prices are great. In fact, it's quite possible that they source things from Kurokigoishi, as they collect items direct from artisans themselves and through various distributors. Earlier this year, I purchased the piece box in this picture (which is mulberry) for a very good price and am very satisfied with the purchase.

[img]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/3988c63ad2ab7b830cef9082af5fcbb6.jpg[/img]

If you visit in person, the proprietor speaks a little English and is very knowledgable about his wares. The shop is also easy to get to, though one draw back is that most of the items are not displayed (it's a small store) so browsing online is much easier than showing up in person.

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:29 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi L9x9,

Here's your photo -- do you use it for Shogi pieces ? --
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 205.7 KiB | Viewed 3241 times ]

Post subject: Go store on Shinjuko
Post #4 Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:36 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 5
Yes, it's a unconventional piece box - most are square. It struck me as particularly beautiful and never saw one like this until I visited the above shop, so it seemed appropriate to buy as an impulse buy :)

I am curious if rather thin Go stones would fit - perhaps I can try that and report back. Even buying two would likely be cheaper than most mulberry Go bowls :)