It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Re:
Post #21 Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:52 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 34
Was liked: 52
Bonobo wrote:
edit: if you could get a close up of the Red stamp, it might be easier to read than the freehand Kanji.
Will these somewhat modified images help?

[/quote]

I think it says this on the right side. The left bottom is still not legible for us.
It is like saying, it is "special wood, high quality hikimono". Hikimono is a special process for making wood. Like this: http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/49/ ... c4c658.jpg

銘木高級挽物

This post by Go_Japan was liked by: Bonobo

Post #22 Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:03 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Go_Japan wrote:
What makes you think it is shin-kaya?
Uhm <scratches head>

TBH, I have no idea … I just thought it would be “too good to be true”.

Quote:
Does it have dents in it from playing on the board?
No, but as said, it has only been used once, and only for re-playing a pro game … but well, there actually is one tiny little dent (perhaps 2mm long and 1 mm wide) outside the playing area, between the edge of the board and the edge of the grid, but I’m quite sure that this is not from playing and may have happened during some transport or something. If you visit the imgur album I linked to in the other comment, there is a photo of a textile jacket (sleeve? envelope?) for the board, maybe you can recognize it, I think it may be a certain vendor who sells these together with their boards?

Quote:
I have been looking at a lot of boards to purchase recently and I haven't seen a shin-kaya board made from several pieces. Perhaps I am just looking at the more expensive boards, but shin-kaya I have seen is always just one piece of wood. OTOH, Kaya is often made from several pieces because it is much more expensive. So, I am just wondering, maybe your board is kaya.
Mh… I know close to nothing about all this, and you definitely know a LOT more, so I’ll just take your word and go <wow> and again <wow>

Suddenly I feel “rich” as I never have felt before (OK, that’s not totally true, happened similarly in 2013 with that olden Goban, S&S and Yunzi stones which also were a steal; see below [and another comment above], and sort of undeservedly so … I mean, I’m almost 59, how can I ever fully appreciate all this—and do it justice—in my remaining lifetime?

I cannot say that I feel totally at ease … on one hand I have a little bad conscience b/c I spent a LOT more money than would have been “wise” for a person in my life situation, and OTOH I got a LOT more for the money than “appropriate”, very odd. Can anybody understand? Maybe it’s just a question of self-esteem or something. I know I have some issues. Yet I know (do I?) that I’m not amassing these “riches” to increase my “worth” or something, it’s rather that I enjoy the beauty and want those who play with me resp. play under my roof (I “am” the local Go club) to enjoy just the same, I hardly ever re-play or exercise IRL alone for myself, all this is only used whenever other Go players (or people interested) turn up.

Go_Japan wrote:
I think it says this on the right side. The left bottom is still not legible for us.
Ah well, never mind, you have helped me SO MUCH already, thank you!

Quote:
It is like saying, it is "special wood, high quality hikimono". Hikimono is a special process for making wood. Like this: http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/49/ ... c4c658.jpg

銘木高級挽物
awesome … just a few weeks ago somebody posted a video of the process, here or in one of the Go groups on FB or in the Go community on G+, and I watched it open-mouthed, wishing I had learned woodworking instead of acquiring a flat butt while being the lonely ape in front of the computer … especially the repeated waxing and polishing of the bowls at the end, wow … I believe that every real good artisan also is sort of a philosopher … at least I personally respect them as if it were so.

I have created another imgur album for some images I found on my HD, from 2013 where I was lucky to acquire … (EdLee, since you asked above and I wrote a little bit in reply, this is what I was talking about.)
  • a well-used Katsura goban,
  • size ~30-31 (8,2 mm) similarly well used shell/slate stones in wooden bowls (both have a vertical crack, you can see it in one of the photos), and …
  • single convex green Jade Yunzi stones in straw bowls.

all about 45–50 years old

The album als has a few pics of my “Go salon”; meanwhile there are a LOT more books, while I haven’t yet “acquired” enough time to read them all … though I have read in quite a few. BTW, did I ever mention that I really like Robert Jasiek’s books, every single one I read or read in?

Post subject:
Post #23 Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:13 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Go_Japan wrote:
銘木高級挽物
Yes, this makes a lot of sense.
Most of the characters were my guess, too, but I wasn't sure, so didn't guess the other four. The cursive 銘 was unclear to me;
高 was too much -- if it was written like that, stand alone, out of context,
it'd be nearly impossible to guess. :)

Hi Tom,
Quote:
This person actually had played in their company’s Go club for a while but apparently couldn’t stand the pain of everybody being stronger than them
Yea, to each his own; but this seems a little strange.
If the gap was huge -- say, everyone else was 7-dan, and he was DDK..., still... --
but if there were both high dans and people slightly better,
that could be a nice environment. Alas, education is very difficult.

Post #24 Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:38 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 34
Was liked: 52
Bonobo wrote:
Go_Japan wrote:
What makes you think it is shin-kaya?
Uhm <scratches head>

TBH, I have no idea … I just thought it would be “too good to be true”.

It is hard to tell really. I thought if you saw a bunch of very small dents in the board, it would be obviously shin-kaya. But if it doesn't have them, it doesn't mean that it is kaya, I think.

The old bowls in that album look like kuri maybe, chestnut. Hard to tell, but usually those bowls are pretty cheap, like some of the cheapest wood you can get about 5000 yen new.

http://www.maekawa-kayagoban.co.jp/SHOP/gh00095.html
http://control.kurokigoishi.co.jp/updir ... 1463902643

This post by Go_Japan was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: [solved, thx] Please Help Identifying Stone Quality
Post #25 Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:09 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Beautiful.
Table board looks very much like a board I have which was sold as being kaya.

Can you press your fingernail in it (on bottom site) without putting too much pressure, making a small scratch?
If so, probably kaya indeed. Kaya is fairly soft wood, shin kaya is harder.
But it does look like it could use some TLC. Probably, if you oil it correctly, its appearance will improve even more.