It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 18 mm go stones?
Post #1 Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:23 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 12
Hi,

I mainly play on the net (nowadays not even there) so a physical go set was never a priority (I didn't have anyone to play with anyway).
I used to play my younger brother as a child using a plastic set: a thin, folding plastic board and double convex, shiny plastic go stones (of surprisingly pleasant quality).
As my children grow I'd like to play with them more often and I used to default to my old plastic set, but the material of the board became too old and it broke.

My wife gave me a new board for Christmas... How to go about this? You should not judge a present. Enough to say that it's not the best quality. The board would be ok (for me), after all, it's better than my old plastic set. But the stones are unbearable. They are amorph glass blobs painted black and white. What's worse, they are too large and don't fit the (unusually thin spaced) board.

This has led to me become reluctant to play go with my kids. Unfortunately my old plastic stones are even larger than these glass blobs, so I can't use them as a substitute. I measured the board grid and the spacing is 19 mm, so I think 18 mm stones would fit. But I don't seem to find 18 mm stones anywhere.

So my question, do 18 mm diameter stones even exist? And where to find them? I'd prefer glass stones, but plastic is ok too. Also can someone help with the standard sizing of go stones? Because many times I just see "Size 28" and if I'm lucky I can find in the detailed description that those are 21 mm in diameter. Though there must be a table somewhere describing those sizes, like this one (but this one is only partial): https://shop.gogameguru.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/o/go-stones-size-hainan-shell_2.jpg

Post subject: Re: 18 mm go stones?
Post #2 Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:33 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 55
Was liked: 179
KGS: Erythen
Wbaduk: Erythen
OGS: Erythen
Universal go server handle: Erythen
Online playing schedule: Beijing Time: Usually between 20:00 - 22:00
Hello,
Mr. Kuroki has some miniature boards and stones. I don't know if he has any with an 18mm diameter, but it could be worth sending him a message if you don't mind the premium for slate and shell.

http://shop.kurokigoishi.co.jp/en/category/0908

The sizes in height are based on the old Japanese Shaku system. I'll post their equivalents for you below.

Sizes
20 = 6.0 mm
22 = 6.3 mm
25 = 7.0 mm
28 = 7.5
30 = 8.0
31 = 8.4
32 = 8.8
33 = 9.2
34 = 9.5
35 = 9.8
36 = 10.1
37 = 10.4
38 = 10.7
39 = 11.0
40 = 11.3

Anything larger than 40 is a bit unwieldy and isn't normal stock. However stones can reach size 50 which is 14.3mm

Hope this helps :)

This post by Erythen was liked by: Bonobo

Post #3 Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:10 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 25
Erythen wrote:
The sizes in height are based on the old Japanese Shaku system. I'll post their equivalents for you below.

Sizes
20 = 6.0 mm
22 = 6.3 mm
25 = 7.0 mm
28 = 7.5
30 = 8.0
31 = 8.4
32 = 8.8
33 = 9.2
34 = 9.5
35 = 9.8
36 = 10.1
37 = 10.4
38 = 10.7
39 = 11.0
40 = 11.3

Anything larger than 40 is a bit unwieldy and isn't normal stock. However stones can reach size 50 which is 14.3mm

Hope this helps :)

Ieks... so those Korean stones I bought that have a "20" in a string of Korean characters are actually the smallest stones that are still considered 'normal'? :roll:

I only use my (cheap) set of stones and a 13x13 board to do some problems away from the computer, so those stones feel normal to me. I wonder if I would be able to handle a size 36 or so (which seems to be the golden target for many) without issue at this point.

I actually don't have anyone to play with, because nobody around here plays or even knows Go :-? Nobody under the age of 65 seems to know chess either, by the way :shock:

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:19 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Sorry for necroing this topic a bit, but since no one answered yet here it goes: in Hungary these are the only 18 mm stones I managed to find: http://www.gemklub.hu/logikai-jatekok-puzzle/absztrakt-tarsasjatek/go/go-kovek-muanyag-tartoban-729001.html
They are single convex stones, but it's still better than nothing.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:50 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
I bought a small MDF folding board and ~18mm dia. glass stones at a Korean store, H-Mart (Kinda like our own K-Mart), for $20 ($10 for the board, and $10 for the stones). Its been a number of years ago now.

Its about the same size as a "large" magnetic set. So, they are small, but not too small to still be usable.

Its actually one of my favorite sets (even though the board is a little on the ugly side).

both the stones and the board are products of 6-Brothers.