It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help identifying smaller sized stones/bowls?
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:38 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
I'm quite new to the game of Go; I had been using a small travel-sized go board for practice along with some books I got, and replaying a game or two. I find that I learn better if I'm actually placing stones rather than reading or clicking. The only problem is that the travel board is small (about 9-1/2 by 10-1/5 inches) such that the stones are difficult to remove in later stages (they're about 12mm in diameter. I've had a lot of fun with it, but thought I should watch out for a larger board and stones. I did manage to pick up a cheap normal-sized board, but it didn't come with the stones.

On an impulse I purchased a set of stones which came in an interesting wooden container, I hadn't seen anything like it, but I'm still new to all this. Unfortunately these stones are too small for the larger board. The stones themselves appear to be made of the same materials as the travel go board; I'm not sure if the black is actually slate, but the white is glass I'm sure. These are about 16mm in diameter, almost halfway between the travel-board stones and regular sized stones.

The container is interesting, as it is stackable. The bottom half contains the white stones while the top half has the black stones, then the lid. The container narrows from its base to the top. In this case, there are no lids that can act as the prisoner trays.

My questions would be: Does anyone know anything about such stones or bowls? (I've attached pictures of them for reference) Are there boards made for stones of this size? Did I just buy stones for a slightly larger travel set?

Thanks for any help!

Here are the pictures:
Attachment:
_1013887.JPG
_1013887.JPG [ 433.35 KiB | Viewed 3340 times ]

Attachment:
_1013885.JPG
_1013885.JPG [ 467.53 KiB | Viewed 3340 times ]

Attachment:
_1013888.JPG
_1013888.JPG [ 576 KiB | Viewed 3340 times ]

This post by yasher175 was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:38 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi yasher175, if you stick around long enough in your Go career,
most likely you'll eventually get yourself one "standard"-sized set.
Or two. Or more. :)

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: Help identifying smaller sized stones/bowls?
Post #3 Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:22 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 55
Was liked: 179
KGS: Erythen
Wbaduk: Erythen
OGS: Erythen
Universal go server handle: Erythen
Online playing schedule: Beijing Time: Usually between 20:00 - 22:00
Hello,
Those are really cool looking bowls. I've never seen any like that before.

The white is definitely glass and from the coloration the black looks slate. To be sure, look for any nicks or scratches in the black and shine a light on it, if there's a shine then it's glass, if not, slate.

The only place I've seen that sells boards for stones that size is Kurokigoishiten. Those are pricier Kaya boards though.

http://shop.kurokigoishi.co.jp/en/category/0908

If you find any other places that sell smaller boards, let us know :salute:

Post subject: Re: Help identifying smaller sized stones/bowls?
Post #4 Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:49 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
I cannot really help identifying the materials, though I think it is possible that those black stones are glass (but they sure could be slate as well.

I have seen several vintage Japanese travel boards with really small glass stones (~6-7 mm diameter IIRC), and the black ones also were quite dull/matte, not glossy. I don’t know how they produce them, but maybe it’s the same process as for the white ones, and then put them in an etching bath for a minute? And FWIW, all the black standard size glass stones I have also are not glossy …

And what an awesome container, I also would have been strongly tempted if I had seen it somewhere (depending on the price, of course), because, as EdLee said, “or more” :-D