It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Difficult decision...
Post #41 Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:58 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 25
Go_Japan wrote:
I am not sure that they are actually from Kuroki. I have a set of Tsuki stones I bought from another vendor and I doubt that they came from him. They are nice stones, though, and I am quite happy with them. I don't know if I could tell the difference between the quality of manufacturing the Kuroki stones and the ones I bought. I am sure they are from a different manufacturer though. The quality control and attention to individual stone detail from Kuroki is most likely unmatched by any other vendor. They finish every stone by hand, which I doubt the other manufacturers do. They also inspect all stones by computers and by hand. Most likely other manufacturers only inspect by computers. The bottom line is that if you buy blossom grade from Kuroki, you won't find a flawed stone, or at least the chances are very low. If you buy another set of stones, you might find a few flawed stones, since quality control and manufacturing process is not nearly as good.

Fortunately, I'm not really that particular. Even the glass stones I have now are not all 100% perfect. As long as a stone is not wildly out of whack or even chipped, I think it'll be alright. Same with the board; they're natural products, after all.

LifeIn9x9 wrote:
The older logo that KGT used is visible on the sets in the above shop in the backstock behind the counter.

If that is the Kuroki logo, then the stones they sell are from them; and likely older stock. The logo is on the packaging :)

I hope I can get a Moon grade set in size 31-34, with 32 preferred (as I can then get some spares from Mr. Kuroki, who doesn't sell the odd numbers anymore, and size 34 is stretching my budget to the max I'm willing to spend).

Post #42 Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:08 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
When your set is complete, Babelardus, I think that after this thread, you should post some nice pictures of how the endresult looks like.

Post #43 Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:12 pm 
Lives with ko

I will. I hope I can get the stones and bowls I'd like. I'm not used to this e-mailing, waiting and hoping if stuff is available, then ordering by mailing back and forth... I'm used to looking for what I want within my budget and then just clicking buy, pay, and wait for it to arrive :p

I'll take some pictures after I find out again how my camera works... I haven't used it for years. (I've been a freelance, semi-pro photographer between 2004 and 2010, but have taken nary a picture since 2012 :shock: Since I took up Go, almost 4 years ago, to the date, LOL :-? )

Post #44 Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:36 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 5
KGS: 6
If I can ask, from where did you buy your shin-kaya board? I'm in Europe too and I wanted to get a nice but in the budget shin-kaya 6cm board.

Post #45 Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:44 pm 
Lives with ko

Nestor wrote:
If I can ask, from where did you buy your shin-kaya board? I'm in Europe too and I wanted to get a nice but in the budget shin-kaya 6cm board.

In descending order, regarding quality:

Go Game Guru, 1-piece board, 6cm, 7kg, €250
Go Game Guru, 3-piece board, 6cm, 7kg. €179
Hebsacker-Verlag, 4-piece board, 6cm, 5.2kg €199
Hebsacker-Verlag, 6-piece board, 5cm, 4.2kg, €139
Go Game Guru, 6-piece board, composite (compressed wood core), 6cm, 7.3kg, €115

These are the ones I looked at, and chose the second one. I found the €75 extra for the single piece board a bit too much, taking into account that single piece boards are more susceptible to warping. I wonder why the Go Game Guru boards are so much heavier than the other ones. All these boards are made from Alaska Spruce. At least, it says so in the description, and/or in the FAQ. (Except of course the composite board: it's made out of pressed wood, and veneered with Alaskan Spruce. I don't know how thick that veneer is. The description doesn't say.)

About the three boards at Go Game Guru, where the two more expensive boards are compared to the composite board:

Quote:
This board isn't a solid piece of shin kaya. It's made with a compressed composite in the center and shin kaya on the exterior. It looks the same as a normal shin kaya board and many people can't tell the difference. However, it's constructed using a non-traditional (more modern) technique.

Because of that, this board is very stable and resistant to warping. It's also cheaper than other shin kaya boards because shin kaya (Alaskan Spruce) is expensive and this board uses other materials in its core. It won't necessarily appeal to purists, but this method of contruction produces quality boards that offer great value for money.

The multipiece board is made from several pieces of shin kaya which weren't big enough to make a 19x19 board on their own. Apart from the fact that those pieces are joined together, it's a solid wood board made only from shin kaya. This is a more traditional way of constructing Go boards.

Compared to this board, the multipiece shin kaya board is more expensive because it requires more shin kaya to make it. However, compared to our single piece shin kaya board, the multipiece board is cheaper because it doesn't require a piece of wood from a very large tree to make a Go board.

All three of our 2.4'' shin kaya boards are very nice to look at and play Go on. It really depends on what your priorities are and to some extent why you play Go. This board is cheaper and more practical, while still being attractive and satisfying to use. The other boards are more expensive because they cost more to make, but they offer a more traditional Go board.

There are more stores in Europe.

The ash bowls are also from Go Game Guru; they are probably going to end up replacing the plastic boxes I use for my current set.

Post #46 Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:55 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Babelardus wrote:

FWIW, there also Yellow Mountain Imports’ eBay outlet which also ships to Europe, and (IMHO) for reasonable S&H: http://www.ebay.de/usr/ymimports?rt=nc (if this doesn't go to the European ebay page for your country just search for “ymimports”).

I just ordered this set there for our village Go club, for some variety since it was my birthday :roll: since I cannot find a source for Ing stones <plink plink>

Yunzi Double Convex Stones and Jujube Kitani Bowls - 9.2mm (Size 33)

Post subject: Difficult decision...
Post #47 Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:21 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 5
Babelardus wrote:
LifeIn9x9 wrote:

Kuroki Blossom grade 32 compared to Aoyama Moon grade 32, which for both companies is the middle grade, is 50.000 yen to ...

Here is another Tokyo-based shop, though they are sold out of the size you are looking for:

http://igo-shogi.game.coocan.jp/

I am planning on listing for sale a pair of Kusu bowls from KGT in the near future, that are in line with your budget, once I can find them and photograph them. They have been out of stock for a while at KGT, so not planning on offering a discount over the original pricing, as they are in excellent condition... something to consider.

Post #48 Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:07 am 
Lives with ko

LifeIn9x9 wrote:
Babelardus wrote:
LifeIn9x9 wrote:

Kuroki Blossom grade 32 compared to Aoyama Moon grade 32, which for both companies is the middle grade, is 50.000 yen to ...

Here is another Tokyo-based shop, though they are sold out of the size you are looking for:

http://igo-shogi.game.coocan.jp/

I am planning on listing for sale a pair of Kusu bowls from KGT in the near future, that are in line with your budget, once I can find them and photograph them. They have been out of stock for a while at KGT, so not planning on offering a discount over the original pricing, as they are in excellent condition... something to consider.

Thanks for mentioning the shop. My preferred size would be 31-34 (my current stones are 31), with 32 as the number one option. I would like to avoid size 31 and 33 if possible, because I don't know where I could get a few spare stones. Mr. Kuroki only sells 32 and 34. And getting 32 over 34 is obviously a price consideration.

When choosing between Jitsuyo and Moon grade, I'd go for the Moon grade because it sits in the middle of the spectrum, and because (according to Erythen on this board) they're stronger because they have more and straighter grain.

Post #49 Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:34 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
You already seem to have made your decision/ordered, so i guess this isn't really necessary, but another pretty well-respected store is Oishi Tengudo in Kyoto. Below their catalog.

http://www.tengudo.jp/go/images/catalog.pdf

They do show some of their stuff on their English site, but as you can see, the English is an abomination. Thing is you can't really expect more than that in Japan. Oftentimes the biggest stores won't be able to help you in anything other than Japanese, so I'm not surprised that something as niche as a Go shop doesn't seem to cope too well. It's very possible that none of the people at Kuroki speak English themselves and have an acquaintance translate e-mails for them. I doubt they'd pay a professional for that, so it's probably dependent on whenever their contact has some time to spare.

As other members have already written, these people are artisans/craftsmen. They're proud of their work and will gladly show you around. As impractical as it may sound, at the end of the day the best way to shop would be to actually visit in person and look at the products yourself (and then have them send it). Ideally take someone with you that can translate for you. If you can't speak Japanese yourself, it's going to be exceedingly difficult to convey exactly what it is you want without a middleman.

I assume you sent your e-mail in English and of course there's nothing wrong with that at all (especially considering Kuroki have an English language site themselves), but I know enough people who would go the extra mile and get someone to translate their e-mails prior. Just to avoid mistakes, you know. It's no good if later on you find out that there's been a misunderstanding and that you'll have to send a heavy Go table back to Japan because you got x instead of y. No doubt the decision is going to be easier too if you can actually hold the stones in your hand.

My own experiences have only been good. They're all friendly, helpful and appreciative. Then again I speak the language. I could very well imagine that if, as a customer, you come in speaking fast English and give the impression of wanting much for few, possibly even heckle/ask them to give discount, they're going to be somewhat less, uh... enthused. Not trying to be overly negative here, but you kinda have to meet them halfway, if you know what I mean.
Personally, I don't think Kuroki or Oishi would treat any customer that way, but you never know. It's the unfortunate reality that recently many Japanese retailers are making bad experiences with often rude, newly-rich Chinese tourists, who come in droves and buy half their place out in a binge, only to sell the things at a higher price back at home. Not Go shops in particular of course, but it's a thing that happens. Not everyone is happy about that. Then again Oishi on their blog actually invite tourists to go on a binge. :lol:

What surprises me is that even though Kuroki are clearly willing enough to sell abroad to have someone with proper knowledge of the language translate the website for them, their response to you was as slow. Because yes, three weeks is indeed slow.

In any case, the actual products Kuroki sell are absolute top-notch, but Oishi's worth consideration as well. The actual buying part just can be an inconvenience sometimes.

This post by Blue Three was liked by: Bonobo

Post #50 Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:57 am 
Lives with ko

New ongoing review/picture thread of the equipment I'm receiving as a result of this thread

Post #51 Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:20 am 
Lives with ko

Hi Blue Three,

Blue Three wrote:
As other members have already written, these people are artisans/craftsmen. They're proud of their work and will gladly show you around. As impractical as it may sound, at the end of the day the best way to shop would be to actually visit in person and look at the products yourself (and then have them send it). Ideally take someone with you that can translate for you. If you can't speak Japanese yourself, it's going to be exceedingly difficult to convey exactly what it is you want without a middleman.

Not possible. I'm halfway around the world in another country :)

Quote:
I assume you sent your e-mail in English and of course there's nothing wrong with that at all (especially considering Kuroki have an English language site themselves), but I know enough people who would go the extra mile and get someone to translate their e-mails prior.

Sometimes that would be best. If I was buying stuff costing thousands of dollars, OK... but I think in this case, that would be over the top.

Quote:
My own experiences have only been good. They're all friendly, helpful and appreciative. Then again I speak the language. I could very well imagine that if, as a customer, you come in speaking fast English and give the impression of wanting much for few, possibly even heckle/ask them to give discount, they're going to be somewhat less, uh... enthused. Not trying to be overly negative here, but you kinda have to meet them halfway, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. My e-mail was therefore short, and to the point, in English as easy as I could make it. I stated the products I wished to buy by providing links to their own website, and I also provided links to the sets in which these products had discounts. Then I asked if Mr. Kuroki would consider applying those discounts to my set as well.

(In the end, that set would still have been more expensive than Mr. Kuroki's pre-made sets.)

Quote:
What surprises me is that even though Kuroki are clearly willing enough to sell abroad to have someone with proper knowledge of the language translate the website for them, their response to you was as slow. Because yes, three weeks is indeed slow.

I think that this is a pity. Mr. Kuroki seems to be the only seller that is also a manufacturer, and he has a good website in good English. He must have noticed that he has a good name outside of Japan. I, if it were me, would certainly get someone working for me who'd be able to answer questions in English.

If Mr. Kuroki's store would have answered the e-mail a few days earlier, I may have just bought the board, stones and bowls at his place, as he seems to have agreed to the requested discount. Alas, I decided to go the European route for the board (and bowls for my cheaper set) just a day before I received the answer, to save on shipping costs and taxes. While I'm quite patient in most matters, e-mailing back and forth at a speed of one e-mail per three weeks is a bit too much.

I could go for European stones as well, but the only ones obtainable here are Jitsuyo at prices for which I can get Moon/Blossom grade in Japan (even including taxes), or Yuki stones costing over €1000 if going for anything bigger than size 30. I'm going to wait and see if Aoyama responds, as they have the best price/grade/thickness of stones at the moment, as far as I could find.

PS: The English on Oishi's website is actually good enough for me. In Japan they should just stop using Kanji, and write everything phonetically, using the Western alphabet, or Hiragana. I possibly know enough words or be able to translate enough to be able to read the most important parts :P

PS2: Oishi also doesn't list any moon grade stones. It seems they're dying out everywhere. However, with the Yuki stones, they are in the same price range as Aoyama; their Yuki stones are less expensive than Mr. Kuroki's Blossom grade stones.

Post #52 Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:52 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Babelardus wrote:
Not possible. I'm halfway around the world in another country :)

I know. It wasn't a serious suggestion. It would only make sense if you were planning to go on a trip anyway and could wait a bit for your new set. Like... I definitely want one that's better than the one I got now, but that's gonna cost me more than I can throw at my hobby at this moment with good conscience. I don't the think the wife would be too excited having to live off Cup Noodles for a month or two in exchange for nice-looking goishi. :lol:

Quote:
While I'm quite patient in most matters, e-mailing back and forth at a speed of one e-mail per three weeks is a bit too much.

Oh, I can totally understand that. I too want my stuff when I want my stuff.