It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yellow Mountain Imports Shin Kaya
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:06 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Hi all, I just received the 1.2" shin kaya board from yellow mountain imports. First off it is beautiful, the color is not too yellow like some people have mentioned and the grid has no imperfections that I can see. However, one side of the board is raised a tiny bit and rocks when I press on that side. It does not affect game play, but in my opinion it takes away from the quality of the board. Fortunately I ordered through amazon so the return process seems easy enough. My question is, has anybody else had this problem with the board? I was planning on ordering the same board again but wanted to make sure that this was not a common problem with ymimports boards.

Thanks for the help, and if anybody wants to see the color of the board let me know and I'll post pictures.

Post subject: Re: Yellow Mountain Imports Shin Kaya
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:20 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 5
I haven't got a board from Yellow Mountain but I have a shin kaya board I think its actually 3/2". But it is not perfectly flat, and so does not sit solidly on a flat surface. A reason for this is that solid wood tends to warp, due to changes in the local humidity and temperature.

Unless you get a board made of well aged wood, made in a similar locale as yourself some amount of warping will usually occur.

Is the warping possible to be solved if you used some felt on the corners underneath to raise it a little, and stop it from moving?

Post #3 Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:27 pm 
Beginner

Thanks for the help, this is my first real board and I couldn't find anything online about how common this warping was. This was a reasonably priced board, and I'm very satisfied with the product, so I think I'll keep and enjoy it.

Hopefully these pictures help people on the fence, and the ing stones are great too if you can find them. I'd say the color in real life is closer to the first picture, but not quite as saturated with a more prominent grain.
Attachment:
New2.png
New2.png [ 3.3 MiB | Viewed 7588 times ]

Attachment:
New1.png
New1.png [ 2.51 MiB | Viewed 7588 times ]

Last edited by WadeTW on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by WadeTW was liked by: Bonobo

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:01 am 
Dies with sente

Was liked: 19
WadeTW wrote:
Thanks for the help, this is my first real board and I couldn't find anything online about how common this warping was. This was a reasonably priced board, and I'm very satisfied with the product, so I think I'll keep and enjoy it.

Hopefully these pictures help people on the fence, and the ing stones are great too if you can find them. I'd say the color in real life is closer to the first picture, but not quite as saturated with a more prominent grain.

Nice photos. I currently have Diamine Asa Blue inked in my Lamy 2K.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:52 pm 
Beginner

It's a great color! I have Sherwood Green in my 2k right now, but asa blue is one of my favorites.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:49 pm 
Dies with sente

WadeTW wrote:
It's a great color! I have Sherwood Green in my 2k right now, but asa blue is one of my favorites.

By the way, where are the bowls from? What are they made of?

Post #7 Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:33 pm 
Beginner

They're older bowls from yellow mountain imports. I'm not sure the type of wood, but they are in the Go Seigen style. I don't see any like them on their website right now.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:40 pm 
Dies with sente

WadeTW wrote:
They're older bowls from yellow mountain imports. I'm not sure the type of wood, but they are in the Go Seigen style. I don't see any like them on their website right now.

K, thanks!

Post #9 Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:46 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 8
I ordered the exact same board, but as a replacement for a bamboo board I bought from them through Amazon. The bamboo board started splintering apart after a month (probably due to changes in temperature and humidity in my climate), so they offered to send me the 1.2" Shin Kaya board as a replacement for a nominal fee.

The first board they sent me was split, literally, in half. So I snapped a photo and emailed them. Within 12 hours they got back to me and had sent another one out. I got the replacement-replacement a week later.

I have not experienced any issues with my board. No rocking, no serious issues with warping or discoloration or grain. It is a soft wood, so once a small pebble left on a table left a small indentation (very very small) on one side. I have taken care to keep it out of sunlight and away from any other elements as best I can. I've had the board for about 5 months now and it's become my main board.