It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to find Kaya Wood and Unfinished Stones?
Post #1 Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:44 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hi all,

I'm working on a very small project and am looking for a small piece of genuine Kaya as well as unfinished clam and slate stones. I'd only need 5 or so.

Any ideas on where I could get my hands on these?

Post subject: Re: Where to find Kaya Wood and Unfinished Stones?
Post #2 Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 55
Was liked: 179
KGS: Erythen
Wbaduk: Erythen
OGS: Erythen
Universal go server handle: Erythen
Online playing schedule: Beijing Time: Usually between 20:00 - 22:00
Send Mr. Kuroki an E-mail. He can easily get you unfinished stones in various levels of completeness, even if they're not listed on his website.

http://www.kurokigoishi.co.jp/english/

Post #3 Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:59 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Kaya's botanical name is Torreya Nucifera and it may be easier to find using that name rather than the Japanese name. It is a protected species in Japan, only fallen trees can be harvested. If you don't need this specific species, there are other members of the torreya, such as torreya californica (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torreya_californica), which grow outside of Japan. Depending on how small a piece of genuine kaya you need you might be able to get some someplace away from Japan. When a go or shogi board is made from kaya there are many pieces of the tree that are too small to make into boards and they are used for things like utilitarian things like saucers and bowls. These items can be bought from department stores, such as Mitsukoshi or Rakuten.

As for unfinished slate and shell stones, Kuroki Goishi Ten might sell you a few that they couldn't finish satisfactorily.

This post by gowan was liked by: Waylon

Post #4 Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:57 pm 
Beginner

Erythen wrote:
Send Mr. Kuroki an E-mail. He can easily get you unfinished stones in various levels of completeness, even if they're not listed on his website.

http://www.kurokigoishi.co.jp/english/

Thanks! I just sent him an email! Do you think he'd be able to provide the Kaya pieces as well? They're pretty small. 1,1,2 cm.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 pm 
Beginner

gowan wrote:
Kaya's botanical name is Torreya Nucifera and it may be easier to find using that name rather than the Japanese name. It is a protected species in Japan, only fallen trees can be harvested. If you don't need this specific species, there are other members of the torreya, such as torreya californica (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torreya_californica), which grow outside of Japan. Depending on how small a piece of genuine kaya you need you might be able to get some someplace away from Japan. When a go or shogi board is made from kaya there are many pieces of the tree that are too small to make into boards and they are used for things like utilitarian things like saucers and bowls. These items can be bought from department stores, such as Mitsukoshi or Rakuten.

As for unfinished slate and shell stones, Kuroki Goishi Ten might sell you a few that they couldn't finish satisfactorily.

Thanks! I'll try looking into other sources :) I sent Kuroki an email. Will wait for his response.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:56 am 
Beginner

KGS: Keleon
ManofCedar wrote:
Thanks! I'll try looking into other sources :) I sent Kuroki an email. Will wait for his response.

Just out of curiosity, was Mr. Kuroki able to help you with your quest? :)