It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Antique goban with calligraphy from Cho Chikun!
Post #21 Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:44 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Nice find!

Post #22 Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:45 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 12
KGS: chiahc1
Tygem: chiahc1
Online playing schedule: Tygem most everyday around 21:00 UTC
Hi Erythen,

Thanks for sharing the detail information about the curving of the legs!

Erythen wrote:
Have you oiled the sides, legs and bottom? If not, doing so will likely dampen or eliminate the scratching on the sides, legs and bottom.

Yes, I have oiled the whole board + wax. I have posted the pictures right after the pictures of its original condition.

Erythen wrote:
There is a difference in quality of the cuts, but that's usually a matter of board quality and not wood.

I have read somewhere that says traditional Katsura board were all Itame-kiura cut, I am not sure what's the reason.

Since you seems to know a lot about different types of wood, which goban do you think I should keep?
This board with the calligraphy but Katsura or add $200 more for a masame cut Hon-Kaya goban with no calligraphy?

Anyone can feel free to share with me your opinion, so tempting to switch for the Hon-Kaya goban! But I feel like it's so rare to get the chance to buy a goban with calligraphy, especially in the US, which makes it worth more than the a regular Kaya goban. Let me know what you think :salute:

Post #23 Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:52 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
I don't think you should make your choice based simply on value. I doubt the value of a goban will appreciate that much over time and they are fairly hard to sell casually. Instead, you should choose the one that will give you the most pleasure. Since Cho Chikun is one of your favorite players that seems like a really special find, but I can't really judge how much you care about having a kaya goban.

This post by jeromie was liked by: chen1664

Post #24 Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:07 pm 
Dies in gote

jeromie wrote:
I don't think you should make your choice based simply on value. I doubt the value of a goban will appreciate that much over time and they are fairly hard to sell casually. Instead, you should choose the one that will give you the most pleasure. Since Cho Chikun is one of your favorite players that seems like a really special find, but I can't really judge how much you care about having a kaya goban.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I actually have a table kaya board, I really like the smell of the kaya board and its light golden color. Other than that I don't see a particular reason why I want the kaya board.. maybe it's because kaya goban that are new cost so much more than Katsura goban... but you have a good point since I really like Cho Chikun it adds another layer of meaning to the board. :tmbup:

Post #25 Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:32 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 55
Was liked: 179
KGS: Erythen
Wbaduk: Erythen
OGS: Erythen
Universal go server handle: Erythen
Online playing schedule: Beijing Time: Usually between 20:00 - 22:00
chen1664 wrote:
I have read somewhere that says traditional Katsura board were all Itame-kiura cut, I am not sure what's the reason.
Since you seems to know a lot about different types of wood, which goban do you think I should keep?
This board with the calligraphy but Katsura or add $200 more for a masame cut Hon-Kaya goban with no calligraphy?

Yes, I may have misread the post about the legs. Katsura boards are always Itame (Kiura or Kiomote) because the trees don't grow large enough to produce Masame boards. The legs themselves will be a combination; simply from the nature of the way their cut. Typically they should come from the scraps of the same tree (left over from the board).

For what kind of board to buy it's a matter of personal taste and real (non-monetary) value is determined by you.

It is a pleasure to own good Kaya and clamshell, but Go is a beautiful game that can be easily be played with lines drawn in the sand and rocks picked up off the street. Nice equipment adds to the aesthetic, but so does the feeling that's gone into it. A decades old board that's truly loved will have a lot of soul. It's a matter of what you yourself are looking for, are you wanting to build the soul in a board or find one that has history and love in it already?

Yeah, I know, I'm sentimental :razz:

This post by Erythen was liked by 3 people: chen1664, jeromie, Waylon

Post #26 Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:52 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Nice find.
My antique goban also has quite a bit of history and soul :)
https://tchan001.wordpress.com/2011/05/ ... en-go-set/

This post by tchan001 was liked by 6 people: Bonobo, chen1664, ez4u, Galation, jeromie, Waylon

Post #27 Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:59 am 
Dies in gote

tchan001 wrote:
Nice find.

It's a nice board that you got there! It must feel very special to use a board that a Honinbo once used! and I can't believe the ink preserved so well on your board, do you use it regularly or is it more like a decoration for you? I am curious to know if the board still produces the unique smell of kaya board?

Post #28 Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:23 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
tchan001 wrote:
Nice find.

Wow!

Post #29 Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:12 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
chen1664 wrote:
It's a nice board that you got there! It must feel very special to use a board that a Honinbo once used!
Same goes for the OP, who has a board from the 25th Honinbo :)

This post by daal was liked by: chen1664

Post #30 Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:09 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
Quote:
Same goes for the OP, who has a board from the 25th Honinbo

But I very much doubt it belonged to Cho. More likely he signed it for a fan.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: chen1664

Post #31 Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:51 pm 
Dies in gote

daal wrote:
chen1664 wrote:
Same goes for the OP, who has a board from the 25th Honinbo :)

I doubt he ownd the board, but maybe he used it to play a game after an important tournament? Or at least placed a few stones? I guess that's the beauty of antique goban, you never know what's the story behind the board and you could imagine anything you want! :study:

Post #32 Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:11 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
chen1664 wrote:
It's a nice board that you got there! It must feel very special to use a board that a Honinbo once used! and I can't believe the ink preserved so well on your board, do you use it regularly or is it more like a decoration for you? I am curious to know if the board still produces the unique smell of kaya board?

I have used it in the past but currently it is in storage so at the moment I can't tell you if it still has the unique smell of kaya.

Post #33 Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:07 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
chen1664 wrote:
gowan wrote:
The board looks like katsura to me, judging by the grain, the color, and the carving of the legs. Of course I could be wrong since I can't see the board in person. I also think it is a nice find.

I didn't know the carving of the legs are different between kaya and katsura, that would explain why the price was so low.
They also carry a quiet nice looking antique light color hon-kaya goban with tenchimesa cut 6.5 inch (I believe its Japan grown) that they are selling for $200 more than the board I bought. which one do you think I should keep and which one would be more valuable over time (like for resale and bragging to go friend value :razz: )?

Thanks!

It is hard to say which is more valuable. Obviously Kaya is considered the "best wood" to make GO boards out of. It is also rare and slow growing adding to its value. But I would rather have the cheaper board signed by Cho Chikun. I think many players would feel the same. So if u wish to keep the Kaya and sell the Cho let me know! I would be interested! I hope u get lots of enjoyment and improvement from both boards. : )

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony