Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
KGS: Traveler17
Tygem: Traveler17
IGS: Traveler17
OGS: Traveler1701
Hello everyone.

I recently purchased some slate and shell go stones with bowls on Ebay and I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me more about them. I've seen some other posts of a similar nature and people being able to determine the difference between Japanese and Mexican shell stones or what kind of wood bowls are made out of.

I have no idea what the age of these stones are, but I'd be curious to get some opinions from those that are more familiar. As far as measurements go the shell stones are ~21.95mm x ~6mm and the slate are ~22.04mm x ~6.23mm. So far I've washed the shell stones with soapy water and they appear to be pretty white, would a H2O2 soak whiten them up even more?

I'd also be curious about the bowls too if anyone has any ideas about them, possible age or type of wood?

The file upload here was giving me trouble so I uploaded pictures to Imgur:
https://imgur.com/a/mBxLX

Thanks!

This post by Traveler1701 was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:43 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Quote:
they appear to be pretty white, would a H2O2 soak whiten them up even more?
Hi Traveler,

Congrats on your new set.

About H2O2, one idea: pick one of the shell stones that you find still "stained", take high quality photos of its "stains", and try it with a small amount of H2O2. Compare the before and after. This way, if the chemical does any damage, it's limited to only one particularly "stained" stone, and not your rest. Conversely, if it does reduce the stainness with no obvious damage, then you can try it on a few more other shell stones. :)

I like your use of a caliper. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Go stones and bowls
Post #3 Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 71
Nice stones.

Slightly unusual: the shell stones look like a mix of grades. Some have striations that are close together and regular, and some are far apart or irregular. Maybe this was the norm years ago?

Your slate stones need a few drops of mineral oil or a wipe with a mineral oil dabbed cloth.

The bowls look like chestnut to me.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:38 am 
Beginner

Thank you. They were less than $100 shipped from Japan so I think I got a pretty solid deal on them.

The shell stones definitely vary. Some don't have any visible striations, while others have quite a few. Some even have them front and back. I took a light to them all and they are all shell though. Kind of interesting.

Yep, washing the slate stones and oiling them was going to be a tonight project.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:06 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Nice stones :)

Re: Cleaning: I recommend reading How to Clean Slate and Shell Go Stones by L19 forum user “Erythen”, he has quite some experience with refurbishing used Go stones (as you can see if you read his posts here).

Post #6 Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:51 pm 
Beginner

Thanks for that. That's actually the guide I have been following. Very good instructions.

This post by Traveler1701 was liked by: Bonobo

Post #7 Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:35 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
The bowls are certainly chestnut, an inexpensive type of wood. I wouldn't venture to say definitely about the stones. My guess would be Mexican clam and varying grade. Are the stones of different thicknesses, too?

Post #8 Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:10 pm 
Beginner

Thanks for the reply gowan.

The thickness of the stones is pretty consistent.

Post #9 Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:15 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 55
Was liked: 179
KGS: Erythen
Wbaduk: Erythen
OGS: Erythen
Universal go server handle: Erythen
Online playing schedule: Beijing Time: Usually between 20:00 - 22:00
The stones are Mexican clamshell and Jitsuyo (Standard/Practical) Grade. Just looking at them I'd guess they were size 22, or maybe 25. I couldn't say for sure without a caliper. For reference size 20 is 6.0 mm, size 22 is 6.5 mm, and size 25 is 7.0 mm.

H2O2 would probably clean them up a little...hard to tell since the pictures are dark, but if you feel it's worth a try then I'd say go for it.

I hope my guide helps :salute:

Now the bowls really catch my interest. The wood is Chestnut so pretty standard and inexpensive, but I love the gorgeous carving on the bottom. Very unusual and quite beautiful...if they'd ended up in my hands I'd keep them in my little personal collection :D . Please treasure them for many years to come :tmbup:

This post by Erythen was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, goTony

Post #10 Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:40 pm 
Beginner

Thanks for the reply Erythen.

How can you differentiate between Mexican and Japanese clam shell? I've tried finding picture comparisons, but have been unsuccessful. I figured they were Mexican clam shell though.

They are about 6 mm, little bit of variation, so size 20.

Your guide is very helpful and clear, definitely appreciate you creating it.

I'm pretty happy with the bowls. From the pictures on Ebay I thought they were just scratches from age so the etchings were a pleasant surprise when they finally arrived.

Post #11 Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:06 pm 
Lives with ko

Quote:
They are about 6 mm, little bit of variation, so size 20.

There's often a little difference in size between the stones. Size 20 shell stones are basically anything from 6.0 mm - 6.4 mm. It allows some variation between stones in the manufacturing process. As a normal rule, however, the slate will be one size larger than the shell stones in order to balance the illusion of the slate being smaller on the board.

Quote:
How can you differentiate between Mexican and Japanese clam shell? I've tried finding picture comparisons, but have been unsuccessful. I figured they were Mexican clam shell though.

This an get a little tricky, but once you've had a little practice with what to look for it's fairly easy to spot the difference.

Mexican stones are graded on where the stone is cut in the shell (basically the fineness and uniformity of the grain).

Near the base you'll get snow grade which has a fine, fairly uniform grain. About 10% of stones.

In the middle you'll get 30% in moon grade. These also have a fine grain but not as uniform. Some manufacturer's like Mr. Kuroki don't use moon grading anymore which I find a bit of a shame.

Towards to base of the shell you'll get about 60% of your stones, these are the Standard or Practical grade (the wording is interchangeable). There are two types of practical grade that I've seen. One (the kind Mr. Kuroki makes) that is nicer and has a strait grain across and the other where the grain loops in an arc around the shell.

Here are some snow grade Mexican Clam stones...sadly these are old pictures. I'm in China at the moment and can't use my personal collection as an example (and why I'm not selling at the moment on Ebay). Sorry these pictures are rather big...but it will help show the detail ;-)

Attachment:
DSCN4276.JPG
DSCN4276.JPG [ 1.68 MiB | Viewed 8274 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN4341.JPG
DSCN4341.JPG [ 910.2 KiB | Viewed 8274 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN4340.JPG
DSCN4340.JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 8274 times ]

Hyuga (Japanese) clamshell (Called Suwabute) is not graded the same way as Mexican clamshell because the grain is exceptionally fine and uniform grain throughout. So much so that it puts to shame even Mexican snow grade. Instead Hyuga stones are graded mostly on their color. The uncut shell is quite beautiful and rather colorful. "Standard" grade is called "Flower" grade and will have a warm, orange glow throughout. Moon grade will have less color, but nonetheless still noticeable. Snow grade will be milky white with just a tinge of orange coloring giving the stones a slight warmth.

The grain in Hyuga stones will often have a slight angle to it, and in sizes 28+ you'll often see a curvature/arc in the grain towards the center (more common the larger the stones are...I almost never see it below size 25).

So you can identify Hyuga stones on three points. 1. Grain, 2. Color, 3. Angle/curvature of grain.

You'll never find Hyuga stones larger than size 40...in fact you can count on one hand the number of sets that have ever existed in that size. The shells grow much slower (and not as large) than Mexican shells which is why they are rarer and the price rises exponentially with each size increment. I once held a set of size 40 stones...each one was worth almost two times more than it's weight in gold (at current market value)

I have some hyuga pictures I'll show you, but I can only load three per post, so I'll put them in just a moment.

This post by Erythen was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, Galation, sybob

Post #12 Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:29 pm 
Lives with ko

Here are the Hyuga (Suwabute) stones. I couldn't get my best picture to upload, so the first photo is a little more orange than normal snow grade, but still good.

Attachment:
DSCN4963.JPG
DSCN4963.JPG [ 1.86 MiB | Viewed 8264 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN3692.JPG
DSCN3692.JPG [ 1.78 MiB | Viewed 8264 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN5907.JPG
DSCN5907.JPG [ 1.65 MiB | Viewed 8264 times ]

Post #13 Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:30 pm 
Lives with ko