It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What's your perfect setup?
Post #21 Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:51 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
This is about actual/physical boards, isn't it, in stead of computer setup?
Secondly, it is about the perfect setup one may have on hand, in stead of the ideal setup one may wish?

I have made it a hobby to collect as many and as different boards, stones and bowls as possible.
My current collection varies from a free paper board with cut-out 'stones' (thank you former Go Game Guru), plastic stones, several glass stones both Japanese and Korean, yunzi stones, some slate and shell stones, and some bowls. I have a thin, standard of the mill table board, a foldable board, some shin kaya boards of different thickness, a traditional floor goban and two actual kaya table boards. I can also choose between some different bowls. Some paraphernalia includes some stickers, a watch, some semi-precious (onyx) stones, paulownia boxes, a storing cabinet, etc. I like to view it as my personal museum. It has grown over the years out of curiosity and appreciation of (nice) playing material.

My perfect setup? It depends.

To go to my weekly club meetings, I highly appreciate my shin kaya 2.5 inch table board with size 33 double convex yunzi stones, nice bowls. Bought new from Yellow Mountain Imports. Very nice to play with, very nice to (my) eyes, to the feel and touch. This is the set I use most often, being perfect for club play.

To occasionally go outside to play at a public place, I like an old foldable board with Japanese glass stones. This board is of some sort of very hard wood, so less risk of damage during travel and play. It is old and second hand, so I don't mind any possible damage or loss of some stones. I just toss it into a shopping bag.

Sometimes, a friend and I play at home. For his and my pleasure (he is also into nice stuff), I gladly use the most upper end set that I have. Size 35 slate and shell snow grade stones (second hand but very nice) on a table board about 2.5 inches thick (also second hand). I don't know what kind of wood it is. It does not seem to be kaya, shin kaya, hiba, agathis or bamboo, but it has a pleasant brown colour, nice grain and it is very soft wood. The sound when placing a stone, such a beautiful stone, is ever so delicate!
Some large, dark wood bowls match entirely (in my view). I unpack this set out of an paulownia box to enhance the experience.
For those occasions, this is my perfect setup.

So I have the luxury of being able to chose my perfect setup according to the occasion and my personal preference of the moment.
My ideal would be (of course?) a separate playing room, to play on an even nicer kaya board (to be acquired).

My other items are just for my collection and are rarely used. The floor goban I use maybe once per year, same as an old, worn and warped kaya table board, semi-precious stones and some other items.

This post by sybob was liked by 2 people: Applebaps, Waylon