Post subject: Re: Please help with clam stone identification
Post #1 Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:28 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
onedeepriver wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie. New to Go, new to this forum.

I would be very grateful if you could please help me with the identification of the type of clam stones in the photos attached.

Is it a set worth buying? 8.9mm. If so, how much should I pay for the set?

Many thanks

Hello. The stones are aged and even a bit dirty it seems. They look like they could be nice nice enough to play with. What are you hoping for? Does the set come with slate stones as well? Do you want them to shine ピカピカ or are you happy to have clam shell stones even if they are discolored?

There is a bit of discussion on cleaning and care of all stones (glass, shell, etc) here: https://senseis.xmp.net/?CaringForGoStones:v66. But it may not be possible to remove all discoloration without harsh chemicals. And you may not get the results you want.

As for price, usually shell stones are priced based on material (Japanese or Mexican clams), thickness, quality (lines, color, consistency), and craftsmenship. 8.9mm thickness is a typical size. Not too thin, but definitely not a thicker stone.

As for price, you can get new 8.0mm clam shell stones on Amazon Japan for $150 shipped. Or a nice set from Kurokigoishiten for $300, or a very nice for as much as you want to pay.

I'm not sure where you found that set but you can purchase used goods from Japan using a courier service like https://buyee.jp/.
You can even check auctions at Yahoo Japan to see pricing.

Good luck

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:13 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
OneDeepRiver, welcome.

Post subject: Re: Please help with clam stone identification
Post #3 Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:44 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
Quote:
8.9mm. If so, how much should I pay for the set?

What is the seller asking for them? As CDavis7M says, you compare the offer against know samples from retailers and make an informed decision. The grain pattern in your photos suggests a higher grade, blossom or possibly snow, but we'd need to see the rest of the white stones in backlit photos.

Look for chips and severe discoloration that will suggest age and level of care the previous owner used. Count them, should be 170-180; fewer than that and I would pass on the deal unless they were inexpensive. (You can obtain sets of 10 replacement stones from various online dealers but they'd never match.) Do they come with bowls? Examining bowls carefully can also indicate much about the stones. Look for scratches, dents, flaking lacquer, water spots, cracks.

This post by bogiesan was liked by: Galation