It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Travel Go board recommendations
Post #1 Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:24 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you had recommendations on travel go sets. I've seen this one from YMI: http://www.amazon.com/Game-Weiqi-Magnetic-Travel-Portable/dp/B000JHSORK/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_3. Anybody had any experience with it? I'd like to have a semi-decent set that I can take around with me that isn't going to take up a lot of space.

If you don't like these types of sets, what do you guys do when you travel?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Travel Go board recommendations
Post #2 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:07 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Oh, I won that set in China in a mini Go tournament. I've used it a few times and overall it's decent. After leaving it rolled up, the board gets harder and harder to flatten out. Also, I really don't like the stones since they're too small to hold them like you would a normal stone and they just feel lame, but it's inevitable for portability...or so I thought.

I don't know if scsfello migrated from GD to here yet, but he had a very nice set that he brought to the Go club that wasn't quite as portable as the item you're looking at, but portable "enough" with a board that squeezes from two separate parts into one, and a container that held the bowls and the stones. If I bump into him, I'll ask him where he got this set.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:15 am 
Lives in gote

Araban wrote:
Oh, I won that set in China in a mini Go tournament. I've used it a few times and overall it's decent. After leaving it rolled up, the board gets harder and harder to flatten out. Also, I really don't like the stones since they're too small to hold them like you would a normal stone and they just feel lame, but it's inevitable for portability...or so I thought.

I don't know if scsfello migrated from GD to here yet, but he had a very nice set that he brought to the Go club that wasn't quite as portable as the item you're looking at, but portable "enough" with a board that squeezes from two separate parts into one, and a container that held the bowls and the stones. If I bump into him, I'll ask him where he got this set.

Thanks. That's the kind of information I'm looking for. Most of the reviews I've seen of it online sound pretty good. And if you can find out any more info about some other possibilities, that would be great. :)

Post #4 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:09 am 
Site Admin

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 121
Universal go server handle: Jordus
http://www.ymimports.com/p-148-travelin ... ieces.aspx

i have a couple of these sets. i like them because you don:t have to deal with a roll out mat. but the stones are small. I wouldn:t recommend for car travel unless you use a different type of container for the stones then they come with... zip-lock baggies would do nicely.

it folds up to approx. 11in x 1.25in x 5.5in

Post #5 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:33 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 38
First, I guess you want to use it in eg a car or train, so it has to be magnetic.

In general, I suggest the biggest set that you can afford if there aren't any reasons to chose a smaller set; for example, if you want to use it where there is limited space, eg on a fold-down table on a long distance bus...

There are quite some different models out there and I believe that all have some advantages and disadvantages, so it's very hard to give any advise.

If price is not a issue I would suggest this Japanese 35x34 cm set or the slightly smaller 32x30 cm set.
The smaller one of those is what I bought for myself long before I started selling Go equipment and I am very happy with it.
Those sets are also quite popular in at least one Go Club where the players have to bring their own equipment.

There are also smaller sets, sets with drawers for the stones instead of separate containers, sets that stays unfolded, and much more; to satisfy all...

Keep in mind though that a magnetic set is always a compromize, and will never be the same as the Real Thing.

Edit: The sets above are called MG-20 and MG-25, if you want to search for them at a local Go Store.

/Mats

Post #6 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:45 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 87
Was liked: 20
KGS: cockroach, hobosaurus
mohsart wrote:
If price is not a issue I would suggest this Japanese 35x34 cm set
/Mats

I have what I believe is one of those. The exact outside dimensions of the board are 36.3 x 34.9 cm. I won it in the 1970's in Amsterdam so the formulation (magnets ?) may be different now.

It is a very nice board, though heavier than a full size cloth board with plastic stones.

The stones will stay in position even when the board is vertical. The only issue I have with it is the vinyl case which splits at the corners - and I have had to reinforce those with duct tape. The bowls may scratch the surface of the board when transported so it is a good idea to protect the surface with cloth.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:01 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 123
GD Posts: 292
KGS: RedBeard
DGS: Akahige
I really like the sets from Myung-In in Korea. I have the Baduk/Chess set for traveling. It's certainly not pocket sized, but the stones are big enough that you can hold them properly.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:11 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
Well, if you have an iPad and SmartGo Kifu...

Post #9 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:09 pm 
Lives in gote

Thanks guys, I'll have to look some of those over. Mohsart, those are a little out of the price range I was looking for, but do look like nice sets. I'll still keep them in mind. :)

kirkmc wrote:
Well, if you have an iPad and SmartGo Kifu...

And suddenly the sets mohsart posted don't seem all that expensive...;)

Post #10 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:59 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
There's a page at senseis about this, although it doesn't have many specific recommendations: http://senseis.xmp.net/?TravelGoBoards

I have a small foldable magnetic board, and a roll-up magnetic. Got both while I was in china, and I don't know what models or brands they are, so I can't recommend them. I use the foldable one more often, since it doesn't require a flat surface.

Edit: Just looked at the links. My roll-up magnetic is the one on your first post, or very similar to it. I haven't used it much yet. It seems to be good quality, and holds stones even in vertical. I plan on using it for teaching.
My foldable is a very cheap version of the myung-in sets. Something like "Go Go game chess" with a cartoon kid on it. I bought it at a big department store.

Post #11 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:18 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 38
Well, those two are kind of top of the line, I guess; there are plenty of alternatives.
Personally, if I was to buy one now I'd chose a Chinese 25x25 cm set for about $30. (I still think it's too small, but it's good value for the money)
I'm sure similar sets are available from many vendors.

/Mats

Post #12 Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:48 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
The roll-up I mentioned before is from www.quanqi.com.
And here's the foldable magnetic:

Attachments:
gogogamechess_small.JPG
gogogamechess_small.JPG [ 68.03 KiB | Viewed 14444 times ]

Post #13 Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:07 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 10
Hello,
I highly recommend the $12 magnetic traveling board from Yellow Mountain. It's 10x10 inches (most are around 7x7) with nice stones so it's great to play on while being portable.
Peter Shotwell

Post #14 Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:58 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
I got a very similar set to that magnet set(probably the same except the packaging, link) and I like it as well.
One interesting property is that the bowls are nicely fixed when inside the board and can't move around then. The stones, bowls and board are nice for a portable set, but of course can't be compared to a real board.
The only thing that annoyed me is that it has no smaller boards integrated(for example by having thicker lines forming a 9x9 board) which would be nice for teaching beginners.

Post #15 Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:12 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 8
We used the magnetic board the OP mentions when we were at "DSC Cup 2008 L-go Group Match For Youth(WuHan)" (yes, nice name :) ), and I really didn't like it. It kept trying to fold on its own and ruined any side and corner positions since the stones slid around when it did that.. Much better was a solid magnetic go board, it was foldable and you put the stones inside it. At least it didn't try to fight against you.

Post #16 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:37 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
Redbeard wrote:
I really like the sets from Myung-In in Korea. I have the Baduk/Chess set for traveling. It's certainly not pocket sized, but the stones are big enough that you can hold them properly.

I also have the Myung-In set. It's very sturdy and well made. Redbead, did yours come with a sticker on the outside of the box that says "Not authorized for sale outside of North America"? I'm trying to figure out what that means? Perhaps they are made differently in some way.

I have the MB 180 by the way.