Post #1 Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:34 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: pete0877
Hey Folks,

I just bought this really old floor goban:

http://baduk.blogsite.org/wp/?page_id=556

Does anybody have any tips on how to restore the playing surface? The lines are very hard to see. The whole surface got much darker than it was originally, I'm sure. I wonder if I should try to plane it (deeper cut and more dangerous) or just use sand-paper (a power tool might be necessary to make sure it comes out uniform). I would of course have to redo the lines afterwords somehow.

Also, has anybody ever tried to clean really old shell stones? As you can see there is some orange residue on them.

Thanks!
Pete :scratch:

Post subject: Re: restoring a 50 year-old goban & stones
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:52 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
pete0877 wrote:
Hey Folks,

I just bought this really old floor goban:

http://baduk.blogsite.org/wp/?page_id=556

Does anybody have any tips on how to restore the playing surface? The lines are very hard to see. The whole surface got much darker than it was originally, I'm sure. I wonder if I should try to plane it (deeper cut and more dangerous) or just use sand-paper (a power tool might be necessary to make sure it comes out uniform). I would of course have to redo the lines afterwords somehow.

Also, has anybody ever tried to clean really old shell stones? As you can see there is some orange residue on them.

Thanks!

Pete :scratch:

I have no idea how to restore the board. The various cracks look scary to me. I'd want to stabilize the board somehow so the cracks don't get worse. The cracks on the playing surface will make it hard to draw lines if they're not closed. As for the stones, check out this page http://senseis.xmp.net/?CaringForGoStones on Sensei's Library. The discoloration on the white stones might be just grime from use and should clean off easily. There could be staining from skin oil, which might be harder to get out.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
Hi Pete,

If I had that goban, I wouldn't touch it at all. Honestly, I think it looks beautiful as it stands and any attempt to "restore" it would ruin its character.

Having said that, and guessing that you'll attempt a restoration in any event, sanding the surface wouldn't be a problem. It's what you do with the sides that's of concern. A clean top with that type of patina on the sides would look goofy in my opinion, thus requiring those surfaces to be removed as well.

It depends on how deep the patina goes and once you start taking material off the the sides you are altering the board dimensions. Unless you're a skilled woodworker, I would not plane any of the surfaces - that takes some skill. Also, while it may seem relatively easy to put lines on on a board, it's NOT.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:00 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
deja wrote:
If I had that goban, I wouldn't touch it at all. Honestly, I think it looks beautiful as it stands and any attempt to "restore" it would ruin its character.

I agree with deja, any attempt to refinish that board will ruin it. There are many beat-up old gobans around that I wouldn't say that about, but your board looks too interesting as it is. If you really want a cleaner looking board I'd suggest selling or trading this one for a regular old goban.

The wood used for go boards gets darker with age, so it's not easy to say what kind of wood it is.

You may find that the white stones are permanently stained. A professional could probably get them whiter, but it would require sending them to Japan, so maybe not worth it.