It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My first (full size) Go set.
Post #1 Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:02 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 26
KGS: BigJakeV3
For awhile, I've been using http://www.gamedaze.com/Go-Deluxe-Wood-Set.aspxin solo games. It's not a bad set, but it wasn't made with adults in mind as the tip on my pinky finger covers it. As such, it's a pain to place or remove pieces in crowded areas.

So I've been looking high and low for a full sized set that wouldn't break the bank. I've seen sets online that look nice, but the price isn't right for a beginner like myself, and they where too big for the space I live in. Fortunately, I found parts for a Go set at the Game Daze in East Tucson.

I found http://www.gamedaze.com/Go-Board-Wood-Split-Slotted.aspx and http://www.gamedaze.com/Go-Stones-Jungstone-Glass.aspxfor a reasonable total cost and allows me to store them in cramped quarters. Broke the set in by playing a game with my Dad this morning.

Even though the stones are cheap, I like the heft and feel of them. The double-convex aspect is a boon as couldn't see my self getting used to the single convex ones.

As for my smaller set, I'll probably replace it with a magnetic travel set as time and funds permit and give away the original one. So if anyone is in the SE Arizona areas of Willcox, Sierra Vista, or Tucson and wants the small set let me know and arrangements can be made to hand it over. Better to give it away than to toss it or let it collect dust.

Post subject: Re: My first (full size) Go set.
Post #2 Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:27 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
It's a really nice step-up and looks like a very solid set! :)

My first board was a not foldable, which I quickly regretted because I didn't really have the room for it at the time. Then I got a magnet set, which, while quite nice and well-made, felt overall too "plastic-y" for me. I didn't get it to play others, but to replay games, so when that attempt "failed", I just picked up a netbook, which was perfect for what I had in mind.

I replaced my "real" board with a several cm thick bamboo board (I prefer the darker colour of it and also didn't want something made of rare trees) when I didn't have space problems anymore, and picked up a set of agate stones. Those were a tad costly, but I imported them from China which added some "exotic flair" to them and lowered the price a little. As with the board, I didn't want shell stones for environmental reasons and actually prefer the agate stones visually too. I plan on keeping that set for a few decades. :)

Post subject: Re: My first (full size) Go set.
Post #3 Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:36 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 26
KGS: BigJakeV3
I've been pondering on making a Go Board based on two concepts. One is an Italian bistro style chess table, and the second is using South West-style tile to give it a Santa Fe look.

I can't say I'm particularly enamored with the traditional floor-boards particularly as all our floors are tiled and even if they weren't, the usual cost of even a used one is ridiculously prohibitive even if one did have the money to spare for such a thing, (which I'm not even close to having).

I wont say when I'll begin the project as I haven't even bought the materials yet. I'll probably build a similar chess table first as it was on the drawing board long before I had the idea for the go table. Hopefully, it'll be soon, just need to find a good wood that can hold up in the dry heat of Arizona.