It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: antibacterial go stones
Post #1 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:35 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 10
KGS: dedroid
I've heard mixed reviews about these stones. stuff like they're too big and won't fit, or even that the black rubs off a little on the hands. does anyone have any experience with these stones? I'm thinking about purchasing my first full sized set to play on and take to my local club. i was also wondering if they would fit on the bamboo board offered at shodan imports. if anyone can help with this, i would be thankful.

Post subject: Re: antibacterial go stones
Post #2 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:38 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 114
Is there any particular reason that their antibacterial nature is a good thing? It isn't obvious to me that it's worth caring about, but I know very little about these things.

I'm afraid I have no experience with the stones.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:44 pm 
Dies in gote

they said that it has to do with the material it's made out of, so that the stones don't become a fungus metropolis. and i imagine it's just generally good i guess. also described as indestructible...

Post #4 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:48 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Now if I do get some infectious bug from you, I can be sure that it is a drug-resistant superbug. :shock: Please use anti-biotics only when necessary.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:04 pm 
Dies in gote

i'm pretty sure it's not antibiotics. it could be antibacterial in the same way sphagnum moss is, so i'm sure there is no fear of that.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:52 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
I had a set, I found them to be too light for personal tastes.

They had so little density, that sometimes placing a stone on a cluttered board would cause an entire row to shift.

But...

$8, really is a bargain.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:21 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 43
IGS: ethanb
dedroid wrote:
i'm pretty sure it's not antibiotics. it could be antibacterial in the same way sphagnum moss is, so i'm sure there is no fear of that.

Or bleach - funny how you never hear anybody suggest that we'll have bleach-resistant e-bola any day!

Post #8 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:49 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 21
GD Posts: 731
ethanb wrote:
dedroid wrote:

Or bleach - funny how you never hear anybody suggest that we'll have bleach-resistant e-bola any day!

Funny how these "antibacterial" things are marketed to places where they are clearly not needed.

Please do wash your hands with soap and dry them with a towel instead of starting to use antibacterial stones. It is a much healthier way to do things, as washing hands also removes toxins in addition to removing the bacteria.

Post #9 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:47 am 
Dies in gote

my biggest problem is selecting stones that will be sturdy enough. i live in a small dorm room and am worried about breaking them. are the marble stones sturdy?

Post #10 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:51 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 123
GD Posts: 292
KGS: RedBeard
DGS: Akahige
I have a set of the "Hi-tech Antibacterial" stones, a set of marble stones, and a bamboo board like the one advertised by Shodan Imports. I also have a shin-kaya board and yunzi stones*.

The Hi-tech stones are made from a synthetic marble akin to DuPont™ Corian® which is used for kitchen and bathroom counters. The material is resistant to bacterial growth which is why it is advertised as "Antibacterial". The material is not anti-microbial and will not help to create a Super-Bug that will kill us all. The stones a virtually indestructible and have been approved for use in prisons since they can not be ground down or shattered into a sharp edge. The stones are Japanese size (⌀21cm) and very light. You should consider the stones as plastic, although I think the weight and texture are superior to the other plastic stones I have seen.

The marble stones are made from solid, natural, marble. They can be shattered with some effort and I did have one break due to a flaw in the stone. They are heavier than Yunzi but not as heavy as slate. The stones are Chinese size (⌀22cm) and will tend to crowd a board sized for Japanese stones.

The bamboo board is heavy and slick. The 1.2 cm board weighs as much as a 15cm kaya board and the glossy finish gives the board a high "click" sound as opposed to the deep "thonk" sound you get from a natural wood board. The board is sized for the larger Chinese stones, but Japanese stones do not look odd on it.

As to which set you should get depends on what you want to do with it. If you are looking for a table board to keep at home, the bamboo board with marble stones is ideal. I think the esthetics of the bamboo and marble, especially paired with bamboo bowls, is much nicer looking and to play on then yunzi and shin-kaya. If you want a set that is transportable, both the bamboo/marble and yunzi/shin-kaya are too heavy to easily transport and prone to damage. In that case a folding board and "Hi-Tech" stones are ideal. The lighter and cheaper the better.

*We can discuss the inverse relationship between the quantity of Go equipment and the quality of Go skill at another time ;)

Post #11 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:04 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
In general, with the exception of really evil bacteria, it's the people who are more exposed to them that are least often sick. Americans with their obsession with anti-bacterial this and that are actually lowering their resistance.

Post #12 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:19 pm 
Dies in gote

Thanks for the information, everyone!

Post #13 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 15
KGS: S1NK
"Anti-bacterial" properties being marketed as preventing fungus.
Antibiotic and antibacterial being used interchangeably.
Ebola (a virus) being used to a illustrate a comparison to antibiotic resistance.

Awful biology ITT. :)

My (Dead) Study Journal
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2058