It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jang Stone No. 1
Post #1 Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:01 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 1
KGS: yawnguy
I recently bought a set of these on eBay, New Nano Silver version. The seller advertised them as being 22mm x 9mm.

I don't read Korean, but on the box it says "361[squiggle] x 22 x 9," which seems clear enough. I counted and measured the stones. There are 361 of them. The actual size (I measured 10 end to end and divided by 10) is White 21.4 x 8.0; Black 21.8 x 7.7 mm. The diameter is fine, but the thickness is definitely skimpy compared to the manufacturer's description.

The seller confirmed the measurements with another box he had.

Paul

Post subject: Re: Jang Stone No. 1
Post #2 Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:06 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 9
KGS: kaimat
Online playing schedule: KGS most nights after 8pm CST. Sundays available anytime but on in the morning and evening.
I assume it's like a lot of things where the seller/manufacturer is just lying a little to make their product seem better than it is. Like how if you buy 8gb of ram you don't actually get all 8gb, or if you get a 500gb hdd you don't actually get to use all 500gb, or to use a cycling reference, some manufacturers have sold 23mm wide tires as 25mm tires so that people who really wanted 25mm tires would see those and think they were made of better, lighter material(when in reality they were just skinnier).

Perhaps the stones start as thick and are then thinned as they're shaped.

Or perhaps you just got jipped.

Choose your favorite :)

Post #3 Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:08 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 1
KGS: yawnguy
Yeah. I'm not really bitching about it. I just posted the sizes as I couldn't see the information anywhere and I felt it should be known, since it might influence someone's buying decision.

Paul

Post #4 Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:03 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
KGS: Frango
kaimat wrote:
I assume it's like a lot of things where the seller/manufacturer is just lying a little to make their product seem better than it is. Like how if you buy 8gb of ram you don't actually get all 8gb, or if you get a 500gb hdd you don't actually get to use all 500gb, or to use a cycling reference, some manufacturers have sold 23mm wide tires as 25mm tires so that people who really wanted 25mm tires would see those and think they were made of better, lighter material(when in reality they were just skinnier).

I know this is a little old, but I was first interested in the comment about the stones and then I couldn't help but notice this common misconception about storage sizes.

For some reasons, manufacturers count that a gb has 1000 mb, has 1000 kb, has 1000 b, while what we use everyday is a gb has 1024 mb, has 1024 kb, has 1024 b.

So if we take your 500 gb example, you can convert it in the following way:

500 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 = 500 000 000 000 bytes, this is the amount of bytes in your 500 gb drive.

Now let's see how this translates in real life gb:

500 000 000 000 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 = 465,66 gb

similarly, a 1 tb drive is considered to have 1000 gb, and turns out being 931 gb in real life units.

They don't lie, but they use different conventions and it is confusing and misleading.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:36 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 9
KGS: kaimat
Online playing schedule: KGS most nights after 8pm CST. Sundays available anytime but on in the morning and evening.
Frango wrote:
kaimat wrote:

I know this is a little old, but I was first interested in the comment about the stones and then I couldn't help but notice this common misconception about storage sizes.

For some reasons, manufacturers count that a gb has 1000 mb, has 1000 kb, has 1000 b, while what we use everyday is a gb has 1024 mb, has 1024 kb, has 1024 b.

So if we take your 500 gb example, you can convert it in the following way:

500 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 = 500 000 000 000 bytes, this is the amount of bytes in your 500 gb drive.

Now let's see how this translates in real life gb:

500 000 000 000 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 = 465,66 gb

similarly, a 1 tb drive is considered to have 1000 gb, and turns out being 931 gb in real life units.

They don't lie, but they use different conventions and it is confusing and misleading.

Thanks for the information. I learned something new :)

Post subject:
Post #6 Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:25 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
yawnguy wrote:
The seller advertised them as being 22mm x 9mm.
The actual size (I measured 10 end to end and divided by 10) is White 21.4 x 8.0; Black 21.8 x 7.7 mm.
The diameter is fine, but the thickness is definitely skimpy compared to the manufacturer's description.
(Old thread I just noticed.) This feels like false advertising, especially since Go stones are priced by 1-mm increments of their thickness
(for slate & shell, they are priced by 0.3-mm increments).