It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One-piece shin-kaya or multi-piece kaya?
Post #1 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:37 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 15
KGS: Brenno
IGS: Brenno
Hi all,

I am looking into buying my first decent go board, even though "decent" must be qualified in view of a relatively tight budget.

After a brief research online, I've seen it is possible to find (through places such as yellow mountain imports) a one-piece shin-kaya 2" board for around US$200.00, and a multi-piece hyuga-kaya board (through places such as Kuroki Goishi, probably among those boards he would classify as "second-grade") for around US$250.00 plus shipping.

Is a multi-piece (3,5,7 pieces) hyuga-kaya board from Kuroki, even if graded as "second-grade" by the man himself, a better product (more durable, not prone to warping, etc) than a one-piece shin-kaya board, to the point of justifying the $50 + shipping price difference?

Since I know nothing about woodwork, I am not sure if there are any difference (apart from aesthetics) between a one-piece and a multi-piece board...

Any advice and suggestions would be very welcome here...

Thanks a lot in advance!
Brenno

Edit: I thought I'd show which of Kuroki's hyuga-kaya boards I have in mind, since I see some of his "second-grade" ones can be much more expensive than the price-tag I have in mind. The ones I am referring to are listed here: http://www.kurokigoishi.co.jp/english/o ... index.html

Post subject: Re: One-piece shin-kaya or multi-piece kaya?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:18 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Hyuga-kaya is THE wood which is most prized for go boards.
Shin kaya is "imitation kaya" and is not the same wood.

I would always go with a hyuga kaya over a shin kaya go board if the difference is not that much.

If you were comparing a one-piece honkaya board to a multi-piece hyuga kaya board and the prices were similar, I'd pick the one-piece.

This post by tchan001 was liked by: Brenno

Post #3 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:16 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
tchan001 wrote:
I would always go with a hyuga kaya over a shin kaya go board if the difference is not that much.

If you were comparing a one-piece honkaya board to a multi-piece hyuga kaya board and the prices were similar, I'd pick the one-piece.

Nothing to add.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:15 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
I agree that the genuine kaya boards are preferable to the spruce board (shin kaya). Real kaya ages gracefully and retains its luster while shin kaya becomes duller over a long time. As for multi-piece boards, if they are properly made they are more resistant to warping than a comparably sized one-piece board. The boards are made so that the glue joints are almost imperceptible on the playing surface and are covered by the lines.

This post by gowan was liked by: Brenno

Post #5 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:03 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 10
GD Posts: 15
KGS: Brenno
IGS: Brenno
Thanks, guys.

A while after I posed the message I decided to message Mr. Kuroki, and in his reply he emphasized the same points as tchan001 and gowan.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:21 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
I'm going to offer a different take on this. The best traditional wood or the best wood assembly method may not be your particular best board.

Do you have the objectivity to remove lust from the equation of irreducible factors: primary budget, plus shipping, color, thickness, coolness, portability and method of transport, expected lifespan of given board, long term commitment to the game, potential for acquiring additional and possibly better boards, and your opinion on the general aesthetic harmony with your favorite stones and bowls. Oh, and the significance of your significant other's opinions about the expense and placement of the new board in your shared home?

I have three superb—but wildly different—boards, four or five sets of stones and four pairs of bowls. I care nothing for the aesthetics of how these things go together. These acquisitions have all been serendipitous; an opportunity arose, I capitalized.

Because of the random nature of the items, I have unique and interesting stories that accompany each object. Of particular interest to me are a fabulous board from Canada and custom bowls made of pine needles.

I say, look around some more. Lots more.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:36 pm 
Gosei

bogiesan wrote:
These acquisitions have all been serendipitous; an opportunity arose, I capitalized.

Because of the random nature of the items, I have unique and interesting stories that accompany each object.

Take a look at what I would call my serendipitous acquisition which has a unique and interesting story.

This post by tchan001 was liked by: xed_over

Post #8 Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:21 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
[quote]Take a look at what I would call my serendipitous acquisition which has a unique and interesting story.[quote]

Absolutely beautiful. The sheen that the board maintains even after hundreds of years is stunning. The picture of that board by itself speaks volumes as to why genuine kaya is THE most prized wood for Go boards... even the lower grade kaya.

Have you/do you use that board to play or is it exclusively a display piece?

Post #9 Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:39 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
tchan001 wrote:
bogiesan wrote:
These acquisitions have all been serendipitous; an opportunity arose, I capitalized.

Because of the random nature of the items, I have unique and interesting stories that accompany each object.

Take a look at what I would call my serendipitous acquisition which has a unique and interesting story.

Amazing. Where did you get it and how much did it go for?

Post #10 Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:33 pm 
Gosei

Definitely one of those unexpected items where you have to be there at the right place, at the right time and at the right price.

Cloud E Head wrote:
Have you/do you use that board to play or is it exclusively a display piece?

I haven't played on it yet. Mainly intend to have it as a display piece as of right now.

p2501 wrote:
Amazing. Where did you get it and how much did it go for?

I bought it from a Japanese auction for a small fortune (not going to elaborate on the exact price though).

Post #11 Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:04 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 14
Oh, that is sublime.