All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pocket Goban
Post #1 Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:42 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
KGS: DrBurns
DGS: DrBurns
I got an idea to make a small goban for quick games during meals. I hope maybe I can get some folks I frequently eat with to play a game or two, maybe even take an interest.

I carry around a murse full of all other manner of goodies so adding in this little package is hardly noticed. It'd be easy to toss in a backpack or... whatever else pretty much. If you have cargo pants or don't mind a wee bit of bulk, you can stick it in a good old fashioned pocket.

All wrapped up to go.

All the bits as they travel inside the container. I wouldn't want to fold leather. It can retain shapes when its really pressed into them, rolling it loosely should be fine though (so far so good.)

That really is it. I am seriously considering investing in some tool leather and custom making some bowls to fit the *stones. Playing out of a plastic bag is an unpleasant nuisance. I haven't been able to source an appropriately sized/indestructible container. I'll either suck it up with the bag, or be a man and build a better bowl.

The board. Not bad for a first try. 1 piece of leather, a Sharpie, and some time spent with a straight edge. The grid is aprox 7/8" increments in all directions.

With the Yunzi's in play on it. Size 33's are perhaps just the tiniest smidge tight, but I'm kinda used to playing them on my Chinese sized bamboo goban.

It's plenty flexible.

The stones will eventually be replaced by Size 33 Anti-Bacterial stones from YMI. I'm considering sourcing a large piece of Buckskin to do a 13x13 and see how that works out. The other things is I don't hugely like the suede of this leather. Again, my main idea is play during meals, suede is going to be a bacteria magnet. Anyhow, hope you all enjoyed it.

God bless,
Adam

*Disclaimer, the stones in the plastic bags are the ones I travel with (from a very cheap set.) The stones not in the bags are 9.2mm, Size 33, Double Convex Yunzi's.

This post by Dr Burns was liked by: goTony

Post subject: Re: Pocket Goban
Post #2 Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:08 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
I find the small ZipLock plastic bowls to be quite handy
http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/ContainersSmartSnapSeal.aspx

but I suppose you could also make some small cloth drawstring bags as well.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:34 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 123
GD Posts: 292
KGS: RedBeard
DGS: Akahige
xed_over wrote:
but I suppose you could also make some small cloth drawstring bags as well.

I used to have a leather pouch that had a round piece of leather as a base, strips of leather sewn to the sides, and a drawstring on top. It looked something like this:
The pouch would sit open on flat surfaces like a bowl. A pouch like that would be ideal for this set.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:40 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 70
Was liked: 8
KGS: Sujisan 12 kyu
OGS: Sujisan 13 kyu
This is clever. Did you make the board yourself?

Post #5 Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:19 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
I second the cloth drawstring bag/pouch idea. I have two magnetic portable boards whose stones I keep in cloth drawstring bags, and they don't feel bad while playing.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:09 am 
Dies in gote

Xed_Over,

I actually did buy some of those containers. The problem is that even their smallest ones are too big to carry conveniently. Stones for a 9x9 are surprisingly few in number and small in volume.

Redbeard,

The pouch is a possibility I have considered as well. I think I'm going to try and make some leather bowls. When I make a complete hash of that, I'll use the remnant tool leather for a base and buy another chunk-o-suede for such a creation.

Suji,

Yes, its a single piece of suede leather I bought at a local craft store (about $6 after tax.) I believe it was an 8"x10" piece. Then it just took some time with a sharpie and a straight edge to line it. You can see that the lines vary a bit in thickness where I wasn't as quick with the marker.

Phelan,

Thanks for seconding that. They seem like they'd do a fine job. All I can say at the moment is sandwich bags for sandwiches, not stones lol.

Thanks for your time and thoughts folks!

God bless,
Adam

Post #7 Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:12 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 47
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: MSGreg
Perhaps the Ziploc SmartSnap XS Bowl is a little big, but for quantity of 9x9 stones you can combine them and stack the bowls. The stones fit perfectly. As hinted at, each dimension is a little large, almost cube like :-) For playing, just separate into two bowls.

Attachment:
stacked9x9Thumb.jpg
stacked9x9Thumb.jpg [ 12.27 KiB | Viewed 11763 times ]

The stones also fit perfectly in *snack size* bags rather than sandwich bags.

Attachment:
snackbagsThumb.jpg
snackbagsThumb.jpg [ 9.16 KiB | Viewed 11763 times ]

I use the ziplock containers for our club with the YMImports plastic stones "Anti-bacterial Hi-tech".

Maybe an option for small and light travel-size (but still almost full-size width) would be 3/4" (19mm) wood discs--link is for US supplier. A little paint and a roll of each color is 5-1/8" (13cm). You can buy a bag of 100 for $3.80 (but $9 shipping). More raw materials information for US folks.

If you really want small travel, consider the 3/4" wooden discs in four nickel (US 5¢) rolls. US Penny (1¢) are exactly 3/4" but would probably be a tight fit.

These suggestions are not as fancy as what you have, but doable by the uninitiated. I really like what you've put together!

Go Tin - very portable go

Post #8 Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:56 pm 
Dies in gote

msgreg,

Thanks for the response. The ziplock containers I got are a bit larger by the looks of it. I tried stacking them and going the way you have depicted, it just didn't work well. I think I may have gotten the "bowl" issue taken care of. But that's still on a we'll see basis. So, until I find out, we'll see.

I've got a set of YMI's 9.2mm anti-bacterial on the way. The wood discs are an interesting idea, but I like the feel and function of a proper stone. I'll keep it in mind though. I'd like to have a larger playable grid, but those take up table space, and that's a pretty hard factor to mitigate. The 3/4" disks may make that possible.

God bless,
Adam

Post #9 Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:32 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 47
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: MSGreg
"Bowls" consist of the Ziplock SmartSnap "XS Bowl" 8oz. This holds (smallish) single-color stones for 13x13. And easily holds the 9x9 set in one.

The least expensive place I've found them is Walmart in the store, less than $3 for six of them. Online is more expensive.

Hope this helps!

Go Tin - very portable go

Post #10 Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:11 am 
Dies in gote

My bowl solution has arrived. Time will have to tell how it works, on the outset here's the info. (sorry for the absence of pictures, they will come as soon as I can.)

I found some nice bags at Dragon Chow Dice Bags: http://www.dragonchow.com/zencart/". The design looked exactly like what I was hoping for. They came in today, and so far so good. I got a pair of the 4x5 bags. They will fit a good number of size 33's, not quite enough for a game of 19x19, but easily enough for 13x13.

Cinched up the Dragon Chow bag will keep your stones secured. I gave it the military standard "flip it upside-down and shake" test. It passed with flying colors.

The mouth of the bag opens up quite well for getting your hand in. I have biggish hands. If your stones are getting low you can roll the top down to grant easier access.

The bag holds its boxy shape relatively well. Of course the heavier the contents the more deformed it becomes. Eighty or so Yunzi stones will get it looking a bit round. But it will still hold them just fine and grant you easy access so that you can worry about your tesuji instead of fishing your stones out of the bag.

EDIT: Before I forget... If you get looking at these nifty little bags and think, "I want one, but not in any of the patterns/fabrics I see." then there's good news! Lyndsay over at Dragon Chow can make you some custom bags out of your choice of material. Check it out here: http://www.dragonchow.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=297

God bless,
Adam