Post #1 Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:15 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 18
KGS: Annihilist
IGS: Annihilist
DGS: Ubermensch
Kaya handle: Annihilist
So I thought I'd try my hand at making a go board. Looking at the stock list at my local slab factory, the only thing resembling the woods most gobans are made from is this, Sitka spruce:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picea_sitchensis

Shin-Kaya (white spruce) is known as Picea glauca. As you can see, Sitka spruce is the same genus. So would sitka spruce be similar to shin kaya? And is it safe, then, to assume that this wood would work to make a goban from?

Post subject: Re: Sitka Spruce
Post #2 Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:32 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Annihilist wrote:
So I thought I'd try my hand at making a go board. Looking at the stock list at my local slab factory, the only thing resembling the woods most gobans are made from is this, Sitka spruce:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picea_sitchensis

Shin-Kaya (white spruce) is known as Picea glauca. As you can see, Sitka spruce is the same genus. So would sitka spruce be similar to shin kaya? And is it safe, then, to assume that this wood would work to make a goban from?

You can make a useful go board from just about any kind of wood. Choice of wood depends on the qualities you want the finished board to have. If you want straight grain on the playing face of the board that has implications for what kind of wood you use. If you want a pleasing, bright yellowish color that is inherent in the wood (i. e. not stained) that limits your choices. Your preferences in the sound when stones are played, hardness of the wood, fineness of grain, all impact your choice. I've seen ads in Japan for boards made from Sitka spruce, so it is useable. Here is a link to a page on Sensei's Library that has links to many pages on making go boards: http://senseis.xmp.net/?MakingYourOwnEquipment You might find some useful information in the pages linked there.

P.S. Some types of cedar or cypress make good go boards. Hiba, for example, has a good color and hardness and is used commercially for go boards. Hinoki cypress has been used for decades for go boards in Japan. A possible source for go board wood is a lumber processing plant. You might be able to get thick pieces from them that would be suitable. Such wood might have to be aged before use, though.

This post by gowan was liked by: xed_over

Post #3 Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:35 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
Spruces are all quite similar.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:43 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
Annihilist wrote:
So I thought I'd try my hand at making a go board. Looking at the stock list at my local slab factory, the only thing resembling the woods most gobans are made from is this, Sitka spruce...

Do let us know how your project proceeds. Suggest you take several photos at every major step so you can post some here. There are many threads on how to arrive at your slab's shape and more on how to apply your lines to your slab.

Access to and experience with traditionally edged Japanese woodworking tools?

Hope you have an enjoyable woodworking experience and that your project is successful.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:27 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 18
KGS: Annihilist
IGS: Annihilist
DGS: Ubermensch
Kaya handle: Annihilist
bogiesan wrote:
Annihilist wrote:
So I thought I'd try my hand at making a go board. Looking at the stock list at my local slab factory, the only thing resembling the woods most gobans are made from is this, Sitka spruce...

Do let us know how your project proceeds. Suggest you take several photos at every major step so you can post some here. There are many threads on how to arrive at your slab's shape and more on how to apply your lines to your slab.

Access to and experience with traditionally edged Japanese woodworking tools?

Hope you have an enjoyable woodworking experience and that your project is successful.
Chances are I'll proceed if it's more financially viable than buying a decent set - at the rate stones ship to Aus I doubt it will be much cheaper to buy a pre made, better set. But we'll see.