It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Size 50 Stones
Post #1 Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:02 pm 
Lives with ko

Posts: 195
Liked others: 49
Was liked: 157
Rank: KGS 4K
KGS: Erythen
Wbaduk: Erythen
Universal go server handle: Erythen
Online playing schedule: Beijing Time: Usually between 20:00 - 22:00
Hello,
Within the last week I've been offered a number of items that include sets of stones with minor flaws. These flaws can range from tiny nicks to small, unusual indentations. They're brand new stones, but didn't quite make the final cut. They remain excellent playing pieces.

I'm going to buy a number of these sets and offer them at large discounts, but my post here is specifically about Sized 50 stones (and to a lesser degree, sets larger than 40). What's your level of interest in playing with sized 50 (or any sizes over 40) stones.

Sized 50 stones are truly massive. The largest possible(14.3 mm). They're just over twice the thickness of sized 25.

The prices I'd offer for sized 50 are as follows...

Snow Grade = $4600
Moon Grade = $1200
Standard Grade = $850

Anyway, I'd like to see if anyone would actually be interested or not.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Size 50 Stones
Post #2 Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:10 am 
Dies in gote

Posts: 27
Location: RVA
Liked others: 8
Was liked: 16
They must nearly be marbles.

I cannot afford any of those prices but I would appreciate it if you could post a pic or two.

_________________
The Master said, To stuff oneself with food all day without worrying about anything, is difficult indeed! But what about weiqi players then? It is better to be one of them than to do nothing!


This post by Manchu was liked by: oca
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Size 50 Stones
Post #3 Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:37 am 
Oza

Posts: 2182
Location: ʍoquıɐɹ ǝɥʇ ɹǝʌo 'ǝɹǝɥʍǝɯos
Liked others: 237
Was liked: 659
Rank: AGA 5d
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I cannot quite imagine being able to hold them correctly. It seems they would slip out of the fingers too easily. In my opinion, once the size gets above 9mm their desirability goes down.

_________________
Still officially AGA 5d but I play so irregularly these days that I am probably only 3d or 4d over the board (but hopefully still 5d in terms of knowledge, theory and the ability to contribute).

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Size 50 Stones
Post #4 Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:13 pm 
Lives with ko

Posts: 254
Liked others: 0
Was liked: 51
Rank: 13k
Erythen wrote:
Hello,
What's your level of interest in playing with sized 50 (or any sizes over 40) stones. Your thoughts are welcome.


Those sizes and those prices are for collectors or showoffs, buddy. Just my opinion, of course, but 9mm is my maximum comfor level. The old Ing weighted plastic stones were about 10.5mm and they were a bit difficult to hang onto.

Truly, though, who needs a $4,600 set of go spheres? Such stones will not make one a better player. So they are either for show or to show off. Like having a massive and ancient masame go board, there's more personal satisfaction, I should think, in possessing, at least for the short time we are here, an artifact that approaches the status of a national treasure than in actually playing go with the stones or on the board.

_________________
David Bogie, Boise ID
I play go, I ride a recumbent, of course I use Macintosh.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Size 50 Stones
Post #5 Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:03 am 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1537
Location: Hong Kong
Liked others: 45
Was liked: 516
GD Posts: 1292
There is nothing wrong with people wanting the biggest stones they can get. Why do some people want a Ferrari when a Ford would drive just fine? Everyone has their own preferences. I wouldn't equate "having a massive and ancient masame go board" as equivalent to owning close to a national treasure. That would also depend on how famous the maker of the board is and whether it has the signature or usage by some famous historical go player, etc. And just masame isn't the best cut :) Everyone has their own tastes in go equipment. Please don't try to impose your preferences on others.

_________________
http://tchan001.wordpress.com
A blog on Asian go books, go sightings, and interesting tidbits
Go is such a beautiful game.

Top
 Profile  
 
Online
 Post subject: Re: Size 50 Stones
Post #6 Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:03 am 
Judan

Posts: 6067
Location: Cambridge, UK
Liked others: 344
Was liked: 3262
Rank: UK 4 dan
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
bogiesan wrote:
those prices are for ... showoffs


Says the guy with a Mac ;-) :lol: </troll>


This post by Uberdude was liked by: Shawn Ligocki
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Size 50 Stones
Post #7 Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:44 pm 
Lives in gote
User avatar

Posts: 660
Liked others: 25
Was liked: 123
Rank: Miserable 4k
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
bogiesan wrote:
Erythen wrote:
Hello,
What's your level of interest in playing with sized 50 (or any sizes over 40) stones. Your thoughts are welcome.


Those sizes and those prices are for collectors or showoffs, buddy. Just my opinion, of course, but 9mm is my maximum comfor level. The old Ing weighted plastic stones were about 10.5mm and they were a bit difficult to hang onto.

Truly, though, who needs a $4,600 set of go spheres? Such stones will not make one a better player. So they are either for show or to show off. Like having a massive and ancient masame go board, there's more personal satisfaction, I should think, in possessing, at least for the short time we are here, an artifact that approaches the status of a national treasure than in actually playing go with the stones or on the board.


Having a high value floor board and stones would motivate me to play on it more because it's COOLER, making me a better player through effort and time spent studying. (Also playing on a floor board that's raised higher is better than my dumb table board imo.)

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Size 50 Stones
Post #8 Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:35 pm 
Lives with ko

Posts: 254
Liked others: 0
Was liked: 51
Rank: 13k
tchan001 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with people wanting the biggest stones they can get. Why do some people want a Ferrari when a Ford would drive just fine? Everyone has their own preferences. I wouldn't equate "having a massive and ancient masame go board" as equivalent to owning close to a national treasure. That would also depend on how famous the maker of the board is and whether it has the signature or usage by some famous historical go player, etc. And just masame isn't the best cut :) Everyone has their own tastes in go equipment. Please don't try to impose your preferences on others.


The OP asked about the market appeal of a super expensive set of stones.

Anyway, I'd like to see if anyone would actually be interested or not.

I posted my opinion and stated clearly it was my opinion. You have yours. I care about yours as little as you seem to care about mine. And, yes, I bow to your superior knowledge of grains and makers. You win that round. But to argue with you because you want to, a Ferrari and a Ford are not comparable machines. One buys a Ferrari if one can and one wishes to. One buys a Ford or Eliot nap because one can or needs to. No one who needs a nice little set of go stones is going to buy a $4,600 set of go stones. Only someone who can will spend that kind of money on go stones. I wish the vendor good luck and riches but I don't see anyone on this forum clamoring for such products.

_________________
David Bogie, Boise ID
I play go, I ride a recumbent, of course I use Macintosh.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Size 50 Stones
Post #9 Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 pm 
Lives with ko

Posts: 254
Liked others: 0
Was liked: 51
Rank: 13k
Uberdude wrote:
bogiesan wrote:
those prices are for ... showoffs


Says the guy with a Mac ;-) :lol: </troll>


I am fortunate to have only used one style of personal computer for my entire digital career as a photographer and a video produce/animator. 25 years ago the Macintosh ruled those niches and I am very glad to have invested in the hardware at the time. It is comfortable and it pleases me to pay the small premium for the build quality and not to need to learn a new system after almost three decades. But I would never presume to try to sell anyone on the Mac OS. One uses the tools one likes or can afford.

_________________
David Bogie, Boise ID
I play go, I ride a recumbent, of course I use Macintosh.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Size 50 Stones
Post #10 Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:46 pm 
Lives with ko

Posts: 254
Liked others: 0
Was liked: 51
Rank: 13k
Abyssinica wrote:
bogiesan wrote:
Erythen wrote:
Hello,
What's your level of interest in playing with sized 50 (or any sizes over 40) stones. Your thoughts are welcome.


Those sizes and those prices are for collectors or showoffs, buddy. Just my opinion, of course, but 9mm is my maximum comfor level. The old Ing weighted plastic stones were about 10.5mm and they were a bit difficult to hang onto.

Truly, though, who needs a $4,600 set of go spheres? Such stones will not make one a better player. So they are either for show or to show off. Like having a massive and ancient masame go board, there's more personal satisfaction, I should think, in possessing, at least for the short time we are here, an artifact that approaches the status of a national treasure than in actually playing go with the stones or on the board.


Having a high value floor board and stones would motivate me to play on it more because it's COOLER, making me a better player through effort and time spent studying. (Also playing on a floor board that's raised higher is better than my dumb table board imo.)


I think, in time, you will find this statement to be exuberantly misguided. It is the desire to be better that drives the best players. The gear is a physical manifestation of the mind's image, nothing more. To play at the 1 dan level, one does not really need a board and stones, or so I have been told. They can play on cardboard using M&Ms and gain skill and insight.

_________________
David Bogie, Boise ID
I play go, I ride a recumbent, of course I use Macintosh.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Size 50 Stones
Post #11 Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:57 am 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1537
Location: Hong Kong
Liked others: 45
Was liked: 516
GD Posts: 1292
The gear is a physical manifestation of the mind's image, nothing more. I'm sure the best players like Lee Sedol can gain much more skill and insight just on their mind's image than most people can on cardboard using M&Ms.

_________________
http://tchan001.wordpress.com
A blog on Asian go books, go sightings, and interesting tidbits
Go is such a beautiful game.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Size 50 Stones
Post #12 Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:11 pm 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1537
Location: Hong Kong
Liked others: 45
Was liked: 516
GD Posts: 1292
bogiesan wrote:
No one who needs a nice little set of go stones is going to buy a $4,600 set of go stones. Only someone who can will spend that kind of money on go stones. I wish the vendor good luck and riches but I don't see anyone on this forum clamoring for such products.

No one who needs a cheap bicycle for transport is going to buy a recumbent. Only someone who can will spend that kind of money. I'm sure some people do spend big bucks on bicycles and recumbents. Would you have something against collectors and showoffs who own expensive bicycles and recumbents? I certainly don't own a recumbent but I have nothing against people owning one.

The vendor is only letting people know that if they are interested in such rare stones that they are available at the prices he offers. Maybe some people might be interested but when you put down something just because you are unwilling or unable to afford it, it's quite annoying to potential collectors and showoffs who do appreciate such items.

We can't all be as brilliant at go as Lee Sedol, but if you can afford it, you can own better equipment than he does :)

_________________
http://tchan001.wordpress.com
A blog on Asian go books, go sightings, and interesting tidbits
Go is such a beautiful game.


This post by tchan001 was liked by: sybob
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group