It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WTB complete set of English Baduktopia books
Post #1 Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:36 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
OGS: dwstern
I'd like to buy the complete set of 23 Baduktopia books in English (i.e. everything here: http://baduktopia.co.kr/AsaMall/english/), either new or in good condition second-hand (e.g. without notes written on them!), for delivery to the UK. I've emailed info@baduktopia.co.kr twice (in English), but 2-3 weeks later have not had a reply yet.

I see them for sale at https://www.schaakengo.nl/goshop-keima/ ... aduktopia/, but if you'll forgive me they seem a little expensive there. On Baduktopia.co.kr they are listed at 12,000원 which is about €9.34 each. Schaakengo.nl sell the books for €15 each (some as sets with a ~10% discount), plus postage to the UK from the Netherlands is another €27.83. I understand that 1. they are running a business and need to cover their costs, 2. these books may not sell in very large quantities here in Europe so the margin needs to be higher, and 3. there are shipping and tax costs when ordering direct from Korea which I've not included in my comparison here, but still, that does seem quite a high price. From Baduktopia.co.kr, if I could successfully order direct, it would be about €214.82 plus shipping plus tax (VAT is due on imported goods above a certain value, but I think it is 0% for books: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-of-va ... newspapers). From Schaakengo.nl, €322.00 plus €27.83 shipping. So the difference is about €130 in cost - that's quite a lot.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else had success buying books directly from Baduktopia directly, in English for delivery to Europe or the US? The most recent posts I've seen where people have been able to do that were about two years ago.

Post subject: Re: WTB complete set of English Baduktopia books
Post #2 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:03 am 
Beginner

For anyone else who is similarly interested, I did eventually receive a reply from Daniela Trinks at Baduktopia (the author, or one of the co-authors, I believe), about 5 weeks after my original emails. Daniela has been very helpful and in a brief email exchange has helped me arrange an order of 17 books, with a choice of shipping options. This will work out significantly cheaper than ordering from Schaak en Go Winkel (with apologies, I'm sure they are lovely), saving me about GBP50, albeit with delivery taking 2-3 weeks rather than 3-5 days. I am not in a hurry. For smaller orders, the saving would be much smaller, and ordering from Schaak en Go Winkel for delivery to the UK would be quite similar in cost.

This post by dwstern was liked by 3 people: Bill Spight, Bonobo, Waylon

Post subject: Re: WTB complete set of English Baduktopia books
Post #3 Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:08 am 
Beginner

My complete set of 23 books arrived yesterday, thanks to Daniela Trinks for arranging the order via email in English, and Baduk school owner Lee JaeHwan, who does the packing and shipping. Very happy with the end result, since I was not in a hurry.