It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone looking to sell his goban / stones or bowls?
Post #1 Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:59 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
IGS: crunchie
I'm in the process of purchasing a complete go set of good quality (we are talking nice table board, with no legs, shell & slate stones and nice bowls).

I do not mind buying only a board, stones or bowl seperately. There is no need to have all three at the same time.

Shell & Slate stones can be of any grade (snow up to the lesser quality) but the size must be either 36-37-38 or 39.

So before I go ahead and purchase a set overseas, I was wondering if anyone wanted to part with theirs first?

If anyone has a nice set that is not getting the attention it deserves, I'd be very interested in hearing about it!

Hope I can help someone out here!

Daniel

Post subject: Re: Anyone looking to sell his goban / stones or bowls?
Post #2 Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:30 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
I have an old Japanese floor goban that isn't very thick (~3.5") that I usually use as a table board with the legs removed. It's probably made of katsura, and bears the marks of years of use. Boards of this type are pretty heavy though, so shipping wouldn't be cheap. I also have a paulownia wood cover for it.

If you're interested I can take some new photos and think about a price. It wouldn't be expensive. There is a picture from a while ago here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/imabuddha/ ... 3987744630

I don't want to sell my stones & bowls though, and mine are thinner than you want anyway. The only reason I'm selling the goban is because I'm moving to Japan soon.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:22 pm 
Beginner

IGS: crunchie
Thanks for the offer! Your stones look really nice (although like you said, they would be too small for me). The board seems to have a bit too much usage for my taste, so I'm not sure yet if it would make me happy. How would you describe the playing surface, corners and edges?

Post #4 Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:15 pm 
Lives with ko

This is definitely not a "like new" board.

The corners & edges are alright, but not pristine. The top surface doesn't have any stains, but does show the impressions of the many stones that have been played upon it over the years. It's a Japanese board with proper black lacquer lines, and the lines are in good condition.

There are some minor (hairline) cracks & the board is slightly warped. The grain is itame kiura, so the center is a tiny bit higher than the sides. (see http://senseis.xmp.net/?Itame) As I said, it wouldn't be expensive. :)

This flickr pic shows a bit more of the board than the other one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/imabuddha/ ... 987744630/

I bought this board from a Japanese used goods store back in the early 1990s, and it was probably 20 years old then. Although imperfect it's still a nice hunk of wood.

If you're able & willing to spend several hundred $ then Kurokigoishi is your best bet.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:47 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
imabuddha – do you live in Europe? In that case I’d be interested in the price of the board you’re offering, I like it. Do you still have the feet?

And even if you live on the American continent … do you have an idea what the cheapest (=slowest?) shipping cost would be for shipping to Germany?

TIA, Tom

Post #6 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:10 pm 
Lives with ko

Bonobo wrote:
imabuddha – do you live in Europe? In that case I’d be interested in the price of the board you’re offering, I like it. Do you still have the feet?

And even if you live on the American continent … do you have an idea what the cheapest (=slowest?) shipping cost would be for shipping to Germany?

I'm currently in the state of Kentucky, USA. I do still have the feet. I have no idea what the best (cheapest) way to ship to Germany is, but I will be taking pictures of the board & weighing it sometime soon. I'll create a new thread here at that time.

I'm moving to Miyazaki, Japan, before summer. Since that's where the finest Japanese go boards are made it doesn't make sense for me to take this one with me. ;)

Post #7 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:56 pm 
Beginner

KGS: 20k
OGS: 17k
Universal go server handle: lildrummerninja
Online playing schedule: KGS sparingly on weekdays 17:00-18:00 EST
weekend afternoon
I might be interested in this goban. I'm located in North Carolina at the moment, so shipping won't be that much of an issue.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:22 pm 
Lives with ko

lildrummerninja wrote:
I might be interested in this goban. I'm located in North Carolina at the moment, so shipping won't be that much of an issue.

I'll try to get pics & complete info posted by the weekend.
:salute:

Post #9 Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:20 pm 
Lives with ko

I posted info about the board in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5843