It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: massive go book sale
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
For a long time I have bought almost any go book I could get my hands on that I considered valuable for my progression (even deep into the dan ranks). While I don't regret doing that at the time, today things are different. I will always play go, but another hobby has emerged: photography - which is both time and money consuming. So I'll be keeping my favorite books and sell the rest.

But first of all, I would like to ask if anyone can help me with the pricing. I have no idea how to do that, I just want a figure that is fair to the buyer but also to me.

The list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Most of the books are in english, with a few in german, chinese, japanese and korean (see the books title for that - no language defined means english).

Once I start selling (when the prices are fixed), it will be first come first serve - except for bookseries - buyers who want to buy the whole series will be prefered over buyers of individual books of the series.

Any comments are welcome.

edit: I can provide photos for any book in question - just send me a pm if your are interested.

Post subject: Re: massive go book sale
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:06 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: Yukontodd
Online playing schedule: Find me on OGS these days.
I'm sorry; I can't be much help besides to say, cut 20% off the price of anything still in circulation and ask for a minimum number of books per order (Kiseido's recent 15% sale required a 4 book minimum, I think), and value the rest even higher than cover price (check out amazon for the ballpark in a lot of cases). But really, I just wanted to ask, as someone in the process of buying way too many of the books found on your list to someone who has collected so many Go books: which ones are the books that you won't sell? That is, out of so many books you've studied, which Go books are your favourites?

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:26 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: Yukontodd
Online playing schedule: Find me on OGS these days.
Drooling... I mean Looking over your list further, I'd love to know what you'd like for the Jump Level Up series...:)

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:21 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 23
KGS: Gorim
OGS: Dokuganryu
It really depends on you. For example look at the prices NannyOgg asked few months ago for his books. Often it was less than 50% of the price. Also I wouldn't suggest myself with amazon too much, those prices are often "multiply the price by ten, and wait for a rich, unpatient person to buy it".

Post #5 Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:34 am 
Lives in gote

Yukontodd wrote:
Drooling... I mean Looking over your list further, I'd love to know what you'd like for the Jump Level Up series...:)

I priced all books roughly at 60% from what they would cost new, minus whatever seemed appropiate due to usage/damage of the book. Most books I just looked into briefly when they came with the mail and then put them onto the bookshelf (which is organized in two rows, because of space issues ^^ - one in front one in the back). So they are in very good condition (marked as 'like new').

If any questions about the conditions arise, feel free to ask, I can provide high quality photos for all.

As for the books I am keeping - I am currently not home and I can't possibly remember all of them. But off the top of my head, those I value highly are:
Commented Games by Lee Sedol, Learning from pro games, the Master Play Series (I like game commentaries a lot and these are very well done imho), 200 Endgame Problems / 200 Tesuji problems by Shirae Haruhiko, Counting Liberties and Winning Capturing Races (very good book), A Way of Play Go for the 21st Century (just interested in it as it is by Go Seigen), Best of Kido 1: The Art of Positional Analysis, Best of Kido 2: The Ins and Outs of Life and Death, The Heart of Go series, Fundamental Principles of Go, Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go, Opening Theory Made Easy, Shuko The Only Move 1 + 2, Jungsuk in Our Time (the only Joseki book I'll keep), if I had The Go Consultants as print I'd keep that too, have it on my iPad, The 1971 Honinbo Tournament (because I've read the commentary is well done), Weiqi Life and Death 1000 Problems (very good problem book) and the two Problem Book Series from Lee Changho (http://senseis.xmp.net/?LiChangHoJingjiangWeiqiSihuo and http://senseis.xmp.net/?LiChangHoJingjiangWeiqiShoujin) (very well done too).
There are some very good books, that I will try to sell and will not keep because I will never buckle down and study them properly. Goes for most Lexicon type series (Tesuji, Joseki, ...).
There are more, but I can't remember right now, plus I am at work right now, sooo...

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:43 am 
Lives in gote

Because it just came up in a pm: Total price of the package will go down the more books are bought. Postage will be paid by the buyer - I am shipping from Germany.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:27 am 
Lives in gote

I am already receiving lots of orders, soo... I think I'll look through the list and lower here and there a little bit and will accept orders from tomorrow on (28.06.2013 00:00 CEST). I'll notify all users who contacted me via pm. I will start shipping books this weekend (provided payment has arrived already).

PS: Should have known people won't wait ^^

Post #8 Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:45 am 
Lives in gote

I lowered the prices for around half of the books - even for those where premature orders were already made. I hope they are appropriate. :study:

Post #9 Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:11 am 
Lives in gote

I updated the list according to current orders and pmed all buyers.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:56 pm 
Lives in gote

The list is up to date again and some books that were blocked earlier now freed up again.

Suprisingly no one has asked for a photo from a book yet.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:26 am 
Lives in gote

The books that went out today - sorry that I didn't manage to send more. All books that are currently due for shipping will go out during the next 3 days.

Attachments:
File comment: The books that went out today
book_wave_1.png
book_wave_1.png [ 2.14 MiB | Viewed 8401 times ]

Post #12 Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:30 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Thank you, p2501, I’m a happy customer :-)

FYI: The books I purchased are in perfect condition, like fresh from the press.

Greetings, Tom

Post #13 Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:36 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Cheers p2501,

Delayed due to the wonderful mess that is shipping from the continent to Ireland but they arrived in perfect condition. :)

Post #14 Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
What type of photographic equipment are you using for your new hobby? DSLR? Medium Format? Studio Lighting? Just wondering.

Post #15 Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:29 pm 
Lives in gote

tchan001 wrote:
What type of photographic equipment are you using for your new hobby? DSLR? Medium Format? Studio Lighting? Just wondering.

So far I have a Canon EOS 60D (so DSLR APS-C), a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS USM. No studio shooting so far, maybe for macro later.

Some photos are up here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97639650@N02/sets

This post by p2501 was liked by 3 people: Boidhre, Bonobo, tchan001