Liked others: 55
Was liked: 179
KGS: Erythen
Wbaduk: Erythen
OGS: Erythen
Universal go server handle: Erythen
Online playing schedule: Beijing Time: Usually between 20:00 - 22:00
Hello,
I just got another shipment of stones in and have just finished going through them. I've spent the past week cleaning and sorting the sets and hope that you'll find something you like ;)

For those who are interested, the items ship from Logan, Utah, USA (Zip code 84321)

Here's how I'm describing the stones...

Brand New = New from the box, never been played with.
New = Set has been cleaned and stones look brand new. No missing or chipped stones, no yellowing or discoloration.
Used = Set has been cleaned but stones have yellowed a little and/or there are chipped stones in the set.
Antique = Very old stones. Cleaned but still showing many signs of wear.

Hyuga Clamshell = Native Japanese clamshell. Very rare.

Note: All bowls except the two Kaya sets are used.

Aside from the brand new stones, I've cleaned and polished the each individual white stone, and oiled the black. A very laborious task indeed ;)

If you have any questions or have an interest in one of the boards or stone sets, feel free to contact me :)

Stones

1. Size 28 - Standard Grade (Brand New)
180 White, 181 Black
$160 SOLD
This is a brand new set of 180 white and 181 Black sized 28 stones. These stones have never been played with and have only been opened for photographic purposes. This is an exceptional set with beautiful, clear grain.

Note: I put up the wrong picture for the box in this set. The box says sized 25, this box is actually for set #2, the set #1 box is identical aside from saying size 28 instead.

2. Size 25 - Standard Grade (Brand New)
180 White, 181 Black
$140 SOLD
This is a brand new set of 180 white and 181 Black sized 25 stones. These stones have never been played with and have only been opened for photographic purposes. This is an exceptional set with beautiful, clear grain.

3. Size 40 - Standard Grade (Brand new)
181 White, 182 Black
$650 SOLD
This is a brand new set of 180 white (plus 1 extra) and 181 Black (plus 1 extra) sized 40 stones. These stones have never been played with and have only been opened for photographic purposes. This is an exceptional set with beautiful, clear grain.

4. Size 32 - Standard Grade (used)
180 White, 181 Black
$295 SOLD
A gorgeous sized 32 standard grade set with a full 180 white and 181 black stones. This set includes a few stones that I'd mark as moon grade but I'll price it as though all stones are standard. One stone has a very tiny chip, otherwise I'd mark this set as "new". Size 32 is considered the perfect size for aesthetic appeal.
As an added bonus, I'm including a very beautiful pair of Keyaki (zelkova) bowls, well fitted for these stones.

5. Size 34 Standard Grade (new)
180 White, 181 Black
$400 PLEASE SEE FEBRUARY'S OFFERINGS
A beautiful set that includes a full 180 standard grade white and 181 black, sized 34 stones.
As an added bonus I'm including a well fitted pair of used but very nice Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls. Though used, these are some of the most beautiful keyaki bowls I've seen. They have very nice golden-orange sheen. Their design is somewhat unusual in that they are more oval in appearance rather than round. A unique edition to any collection.

6. Size 31 - Snow Grade (used)
180 White, 181 Black
$280 SOLD
This is a beautiful, full set of 180 white and 181 black stones. The stones are of the highest grade (Snow) and have a very beautiful, fine grain. Sized 31 - 33 stones are considered the ideal in aesthetic appeal. They've yellowed some over years of use but remain beautiful, with a clear grain.
As an added bonus, I'm offering a set of gorgeous, well fitted Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls. These bowls have a very unusual wood pattern and a bright golden-orange sheen.

Last edited by Erythen on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject: Re: November: New and used Slate and Shell sets. Kaya board
Post #2 Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:24 am 
Lives with ko

The website seems to hate it when I post too much so I have to split this. Sorry about that ^_^

7. Size 28 Standard Grade (new)
180, 181 Black
$200 PLEASE SEE FEBRUARY'S OFFERINGS
Gorgeous set of sized 28 standard grade stones. The set is complete with 180 white and 181 black stones and is in new condition with no flaws.
As an added bonus I'm including a set of well fitted, new kaya bowls. The bowls are rather special, emanating a the soft cinnamon scent unique to genuine kaya.

8. Size 37 Standard Grade (new)
183 white stones, 181 black
$450 SOLD
A beautiful set of sized 37 standard grade stones. This is one of my nicest collection of stones currently on sale. The set is complete with 180 white stones (plus an additional 3 spares) and 181 black. The set is in new condition with no flaws.
As an added bonus, I'm including a set of kaya bowls perfectly fitted for the stones, an old paulownia box and a set of cloth bowl covers. The box is a bit old and worn but adds a touch of class and age to a gorgeous set. The bowls are rather special, emanating a the soft cinnamon scent unique to genuine Kaya

9. Size 38 - Moon Grade (new)
181 White, 182 Black
$600 SOLD
A beautiful set of sized 38 moon grade stones. This is one of my nicest collection of stones currently on sale. The set is complete with 180 white stones (plus an additional 1 spare) and 181 black (plus an additional spare. The set is in new condition with no flaws.
As an added bonus, I'm including a set of used but beautiful Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls perfectly fitted for the stones, and a paulownia box. The box is a bit old and worn but adds a touch of class and age to a gorgeous set.

10. Size 28 (mixed grade, mostly moon) (new)
180 White, 182 Black
$160 SOLD
A beautiful set of sized 28 stones. These stones are used but in new condition. The set includes some standard and some snow grade but mostly moon. As such, I'm pricing this set as though they were standard grade.
As an added bonus I'm including a set of beautiful, well matched bowls. I'm not sure what the bowl material is but I suspect Keyaki (Zelkova). It's unusual for Keyaki to be processed with an itame cut like this (circular top).

11. Native Japanese Hyuga Clamshell - Moon Grade (used)
180 White, 181 Black
$100 SOLD
This is a beautiful, old set of 180 white and 181 black stones. These are some of the legendary Native Japanese clamshell found on the beaches of Miyazaki Prefecture Japan. Clams large enough for stones have all but vanished from Japan's coastlines and stones (even small ones like these) are very rare.
These stones are used but remain in beautiful condition. Moon grade Hyuga stones have a far finer, and more illustrious grain than even snow grade Mexican shells.
Many of the stones in this set have an odd coloring, due to many years of use (please see photos). The grain and luster of the stones remains intact however.

12. Sized 34 - Standard Grade (used)
166 White, 187 Black
$200 SOLD
This is a set of standard grade sized 34 clamshell stones. This set is old and has yellowed some with age and use, in addition there are several stones missing (180 = full set) and five have small chips. The black stones are from various sets with 143 (size 33), 39 (size 35), 4 (size 37), 1 (size 32) for a total of 178. Because of this, I'm offering this set at a large discount.
As an added bonus, I'm offering a set of gorgeous Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls. These bowls are indeed unique and very beautiful. They have an unusual wavy grain pattern, such patterns are considered highly aesthetic. These bowls are true gems.

Last edited by Erythen on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:25 am 
Lives with ko

Part 3 :)

13. Single Convex Hyuga Stones (Antique)
147 White, 151 Black
$50 SOLD
This is a very old set of stones, though I don't have a date of manufacture. These are Hyuga, Native Japanese Clamshell, but through many years of use they have lost a lot of their luster so I cannot rank them though I believe they were formerly Snow Grade. I've done what I can to clean and restore the stones, and while I've restored much of their natural shine, I cannot clean the dirt and oils once they work their way into the shell itself. These stones are more a collectors piece rather than for playing, though if you'd like, I'll include a number of glass stones with the purchase.
As an added bonus, I'm adding an old set of Kuri (Chestnut) bowls. These bowls have been well used and there is a large crack running along the surface of one of the lids.

14. Size 25 - Standard Grade (used)
175 White, 181 Black
$110 SOLD
Though I do not have a clear date of manufacture, this is a very old set of stones. The set includes 175 white stones (38 of which have small chips) and a full 181 black stones. Despite their age, the stones are in remarkably good condition, having yellowed only a little over the years.
As an added bonus, I'm including the Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls that originally came with the set. They're very well fitted and have aged beautifully.

15. Size 22 - Mixed Standard and Moon grades (used)
180 White, 181 Black
$100 SOLD
This is a nice full set of mixed standard and moon grade stones. A few of the stones have yellowed over time but most remain nice and bright. Two stones have a tiny, barely noticeable chip.
As an added bonus, I'm including an old, used set of Kuri (chestnut) bowls well fitted for these stones.

16. 5.8mm mixed standard and moon grade (used)
177 White, 171 Black
$60 PLEASE SEE FEBRUARY'S OFFERINGS
This is a nice set of 5.7mm stones of mixed standard and moon grade. About 30% of the white stones have small chips and some yellowing.
As an added bonus, I'm including a set of large Kuri (Chestnut) bowls.

17. Small set of Hyuga Clamshell (Antique)
132 White, 135 Black
$30 SOLD
This is a small, old set of antique Japanese clamshell stones. These are some of the legendary Native Japanese clamshell found on the beaches of Miyazaki Prefecture Japan. Clams large enough for stones have all but vanished from Japan's coastlines and stones and are now very rare.
There is significant wear an chipping on this set which is why I'm offering them at such a low price.
As an added bonus, I'm offering a set of Kuri (Chestnut) bowls.

18. 5.5mm Hyuga Clamshell set (antique)
White 180, Black 177
Price: $80 SOLD
This is an old set of stones that has aged a bit over the years with use. These are some of the legendary Native Japanese clamshell found on the beaches of Miyazaki Prefecture Japan. Clams large enough for stones have all but vanished from Japan's coastlines and stones and are now very rare. I won't apply a grade to these shells because the grain has faded from several, and while very fine, the set remains quite old.
As an added bonus, I'm including a nice set of well fitted Kuri (Chestnut) bowls.

Size 24 (roughly), Snow Grade Hyuga Stones
White 176 (+ 4of a different size), Black 142 (+38 of different sizes)
Price: $225 SOLD
This is a very old set of snow grade native Japanese clamshell stones. The set dates from the late Taisho and early Showa era (1920's). The stones are well used but remain in extraordinary condition for how old they are. Many of the shell stones exhibit a purple color in the grain, this is an unusual coloration but a natural part of the clam and not a result of dirt or oils. These are some of the legendary Native Japanese clamshell found on the beaches of Miyazaki Prefecture Japan. Clams large enough for stones have all but vanished from Japan's coastlines and stones and are now very rare.
The set includes 176 white stones (plus an additional 4 of a smaller size) and 142 black pieces (plus an additional 38 of different sizes).
As an added bonus I'm including a pair of bowls that have been with these stones since their manufacture. I'm not sure what their material is, I suspect very well aged Keyaki (Zelkova) or Sakura (Cherry).
I have spent a many hours cleaning the dirt from the stones and restoring their natural luster, they now shine as though new, but it should be noted that I am not a professional and don't have the skill to clean dirt and oils once they've worked their way into the grain. As such, these shells have extensive yellowing and several of the have small chips. The sizes aren't entirely uniform (+/- .04mm depending on the stone) which isn't unusual for this period when stones were more commonly made and measured by hand rather than machine. Despite the issues the stones may have due to aging, their fine grain remains very clear and easily seen. Because of the issues, I'm selling them at half what I normally would.

20. Glass Go stones
174 White, 163 Black
Price: $10 SOLD
A set of glass go stones of various sizes (most between 31 - 33) and a set of plastic go bowls.
A few of the stones have minor chips and the bowls have been well used. This would make for a good travel set.

Last edited by Erythen on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:26 am 
Lives with ko

Boards

1. Katsura Floor Board
$150 SOLD
Itame - Kiura cut
This is an old Katsura board that I've worked at restoring. I've oiled and waxed the wood, restoring a lot of color to the board. However, it is old and spotty.
The previous owner applied a varnish to the wood, much of which has faded over the years but there is still a little gleam. This shouldn't effect playing in any way unless under a very bright light.
The corners have been damaged a little (please see photos), but all surfaces of the wood are free from warping. This would make an excellent outside or practice board.

2. Katsura Board Floor/Table board
$150 SOLD
Itame - Kiura cut
This is a beautiful Katsura board that can serve as either a table or floor board (to convert to a table board, just remove the legs). The board looks new aside from some damage to one corner and a mark on the bottom.
I've oiled and waxed the wood for good measure.

3. Kaya Floor Board (Native Japanese Kaya)
Itame - Kimote cut
$500 SOLD
Kaya, the undisputed king of go boards. Its close grain and bright reddish yellow appeals to the eye, the clicking of the stones resonates through the wood and the soft, sweet smell that emanates from the board all combine to make playing on this wood a true experience in aesthetics. Old growth Kaya is no longer harvestable in Japan with these ancient trees now protected by law and boards made from Native Japanese Kaya are steadily becoming scarcer.
This board is made from Native Japanese wood. It is several decades old and has seen a long history of care and use. The top playing surface is flat and unwarped, with little dimples from where many epic games have been played in the past. There is a slight warping on the bottom of the board, as well as an old crack that has been professionally repaired. The legs are brilliantly crafted and add a touch of class to this gorgeous board.
As an added bonus, I'm including an old Paulownia cover to help protect this board.

4. Kaya Floor Board (Native Japanese Kaya), Keyaki (Zelkova) Go Bowls, Size 36 Standard Grade Go Stones
Itame - Kimote cut
$700 SOLD
Of course we've gotta save the best for last ;).

This is a full set of Go equipment; everything you'll need to play the game.
Kaya, the undisputed king of go boards. Its close grain and bright reddish yellow appeals to the eye, the clicking of the stones resonates through the wood and the soft, sweet smell that emanates from the board all combine to make playing on this wood a true experience in aesthetics. Old growth Kaya is no longer harvestable in Japan with these ancient trees now protected by law and boards made from Native Japanese Kaya are steadily becoming scarcer.
This venerable old board is made from Native Japanese wood and has been lovingly cared for by an elderly Japanese gentleman for the last several decades. The playing surface is free of warps and is dimpled by the clicks of decades of games. There is a small crack on the top side that has been professionally repaired and won't affect gameplay. The board has a rather unusual double kimote cut. There's a large crack running along the bottom and several smaller ones through the sides. I considered filling these but decided not to damage the antique nature of the board. There's a few knots along in the bottom and a dark spot on the side. This dark spot looks rugged but the surface is actually smooth. The legs are beautifully carved, showing the pure skill of the artisan who hand crafted this board.
Normally I'd sell the stones and bowls separately, but since this set has been together for a very long time, I didn't have the heart to split it. So, This board includes a full set of sized 36, standard grade stones and a gorgeous matching pair of Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls. Everything you'll need to play.
In addition, it includes a Paulownia box for the stones and Paulownia cover for the board.