All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re:
Post #21 Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 153
EdLee wrote:
Quote:
vinyl 9x9 boards, but they only sell to clubs affiliated with them.
For 9x9 for beginners, compare the time-cost-postage with home-laserprint 9x9 laminated at a local store ( Fedex/Kinko's? ).

From our experience, unless you have a regular attendance of over 10 beginners, we rarely need more than just one 9x9. Anyone with any remote interest will advance past 9x9 within a day or two, from our experience.

Ed: Thanks again for your input. I have a wood 9x9 board, but it is hard to beat $1 for vinyl boards! Good enough for group instruction with children.

Knotwilg: You have some interesting suggestions. In particular, we just talked about setting up a study group at OGS.

Bill: Thanks for the welcome back! I think that I will email AGA about using an online rating (OGS, KGS, Tygem, etc.) as a preliminary rating. Otherwise, I don't see how a group of unrated players can ever advance to realistic rating levels. At least until a Go tournament comes to Chicago or Indianapolis. I think that I read at Anders blog that the next Go Congress will be in Wisconsin. We might be able to plan a group trip, depending on the costs.

Post subject: Re:
Post #22 Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:20 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 153
EdLee wrote:
Quote:
But YMMV; curious to hear about your meetup experience over time; good luck.

While we get 1-2 new "members" each week through meetup.com, none of them have ever shown up. In fact, based on their listed interests, I think they are looking for a different type of "meet up."

While at a local mall today for watch repair, I asked one of the (Chinese?) men working there if he played weiqi. He said no. I also asked another (Korean?) man waiting around if he played baduk. He started talking to me in Korean (I guess!) and shook my hand, so I explained that I did not understand him. He said he didn't play but asked me if I played mahjong. I apologized, by the way, as asking every East-Asian if they play Go might seem a little racist, though no one expressed any animosity--maybe I look too old and nerdy to take offense? ;-)

In any case, I registered for my first Go tournament, in Evanston on November 10. What's a little humiliation?!

Post subject: Re: What methods have you ACTUALLY TESTED to get new members
Post #23 Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:37 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 206
Was liked: 101
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Knotwilg wrote:
So the main message is: focus on the staying, not the coming.

I concur with most of the suggestions, but I am not sure about this quote.

I think it is both.
Think of it marketing/business wise: you want to hold on to existing customers and have them return, but also want to attract new ones.

As someone who is active for an existing club, I found focus on the staying is very important.
But we also wanted to attract new members (adults).
For this existing club, we also wanted to newly establish a youth department. As we did not have youth/children (yet), we had to focus also on the coming.
I am also active in trying to establish a new club (for adults), at another place, focus on the coming was/is key, as there were no players at all yet and no location or schedule.
In both situations, visibility, activity, atmosphere and word-of-mouth are very important.

Wish you best!