It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: your typical club attendance and rank distribution?
Post #1 Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:37 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 81
KGS: often
If you attend an in person club, what's your typical club attendance and rank distribution?

I go to the dallas go club, we get about 5-6 consistent regulars and about 4-5 rotating players every so often with another 4-5 not so often people. So typically a decent night is 8 people.

The rank distribution is mostly 3k-7k with a few 3-4 dans.

Post subject: Re: your typical club attendance and rank distribution?
Post #2 Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:07 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 143
Was liked: 218
Universal go server handle: moyoaji
I attend two clubs.

The West Michigan Go Club's usual attendance as of late is 2-3. During last summer it was 5-7. Most members are not ranked by AGA or any online server, so I'll guess based on their handicaps against me. We have a 4k (me), a 9k, an 11k, a 13-14k, and occasionally an AGA 5k. We had a 30k show up for a while who seemed to rise quickly to around 20k, but he stopped attending.

The Grand Valley Go and Chess Club's usual attendance is 5-7. Of those, 3 play go regularly and 2 irregularly. We have a 4k (me), a 7k, and a 15-20k. The irregulars are around 15-20k as well.

-Kageyama Toshiro on proper moves

Post #3 Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:39 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
We have two club nights per week, both of which see about 6-16 players attending of around 30-40 total active players in the city. Ranks are anywhere from 4 dan to 30 kyu, with players at pretty much every level. We've had over 10 newcomers in the past year, who now span the 10k-30k range.

Post subject:
Post #4 Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:34 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
The local club has been around for over 40, 50 years or more,
so the composition also has changed over time.

Currently, we meet twice a week: Wednesday evenings at Coffee Bean,
and on Saturdays, two members take turns hosting at their homes.

Typical Wednesday -- (KGS) 10k, 6k, 6k, 3k, 3k, 1k, 2d.
Occasionally, another 3k. Visitors from the UK (maybe summer post-doc workshop at the university), 2d.
Once in a blue moon, 2p.

Typical Saturday -- (KGS) 10k, 3k, 3k, 3k, 1k.

Over 10 years ago, before my time, there was a Japanese 8dan.
Many, many years ago, Michael Redmond would learn Go by watching
his dad play. :)

Post #5 Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:07 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
My club (Cape Town, South Africa) meets weekly. We consistently have about eight players, with the number swelling and shrinking a bit over time. We quite often have overseas visitors, particularly Europeans on holiday. Currently the distribution is 16k, 12k, 4k, 3k, 1k, 1d, 3d, 3d.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:11 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
We met once a week and regulary we have two 20-kyu-ish players, a KGS 5-kyu, a KGS Shodan (me) and a KGS 4-5-dan. Every so often we are joined by two other players, one somewhat DDK, the other a good SDK. Then there are up to five SDK to Dan players who show up once in a while.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:08 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Anything from 2 to 10 with 4-6 being more normal. The rare wild dan player appears but the strongest is normally either a 2k or 5k EGF with some 2-3 beginners and maybe myself (I've been bad for attending this year) or another turning up.

Post #8 Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:29 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
The club I go to most frequently usually has between 6 and maybe 15 people on any given night, drawn from a pool of at least 30, maybe 40 or more. There is a 8-9k player who is very regular, several in the 1-5k range, a couple around 6-8k, quite a few ddks or other beginners, a several from 1-3d, one relatively regular 5d, an infrequent 6d, and very rarely, a 9d who will stop by, usually with the 6d.

On a given night, I could be the strongest player in the room, in the strong SDK range, or one of the weakest, depending on who stops by, but the latter is becoming more and more rare.

Post #9 Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:41 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 156
Attendance ranges from 6-10 players over a session at my club (Fiery Rain of Go Stones) in Denver. Level usually runs from 15k-2d (AGA equivalent), so there is a pretty good scope for anyone who wants to learn or drop in.

Bruce "ClubMeister" Young

Post #10 Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:43 am 
Lives with ko

Was liked: 25
GD Posts: 442
KGS: alejo
I envy your club meetings...

"My club" meetings are either 1-2 players. 1: just myself and noone shows up. 2: someone joins in for a game.
Actually, there are very few players in my city (around 5). All being 15k-30k but myself, about 5k. However, if I really wanted to play go I could always join the club meetings at Barcelona with several DDKs, SDKs and EGF dan players. Unfortunately, whenever I visit Barcelona I have other priorities :roll:

Post #11 Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:13 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
alejo wrote:
I envy your club meetings...

"My club" meetings are either 1-2 players. 1: just myself and noone shows up. 2: someone joins in for a game.
Actually, there are very few players in my city (around 5). All being 15k-30k but myself, about 5k. However, if I really wanted to play go I could always join the club meetings at Barcelona with several DDKs, SDKs and EGF dan players. Unfortunately, whenever I visit Barcelona I have other priorities :roll:

Somehow every time I showed at Barcelona's club no-one showed (except chess players.) I eventually stopped going.

Post #12 Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:13 am 
Lives with ko

RBerenguel wrote:
Somehow every time I showed at Barcelona's club no-one showed (except chess players.) I eventually stopped going.

I assume you're talking about La Pedra club... I know, I've been there too. Have you tried going to the Chinese restaurant?
I haven't been there for the last two years, but it used to be quite "crowded", much more than the actual club itself

Post #13 Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:31 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
alejo wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:

I assume you're talking about La Pedra club... I know, I've been there too. Have you tried going to the Chinese restaurant?
I haven't been there for the last two years, but it used to be quite "crowded", much more than the actual club itself

I could only make things work during the week, so tried going on Tuesday's. Even on days when supposedly someone would show up, no-one. Yes, talking about "La Pedra," sure :D

Post #14 Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:09 am 
Lives with ko

You may want to try the Chinese restaurant. However, I don't remember where it was... you should ask for it at the Spanish Go mailing list. PM me if you need more directions

Post #15 Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:33 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
Universal go server handle: StlenVlr
I founded a go club ages ago, it basically had a couple of 5k level players + me(1d then). Now I moved to a bigger city so we just have like 10 1-4d players and some random kyu players every once in a while(kinda depending on the meeting how many kyu players we get. Occasionally there aren't any, occasionally there are quite a few). Then there's of course 5-7d whenever.

I envy how many clubs described here seem to have kyu players. I really haven't seen that big of an influx of new players anywhere I've went. Like, once or twice a year you get a new player in all of the 5 or so clubs I frequent.

Post #16 Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:32 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
We have a small club in town. Anywhere from 2-10 show up. Three of us are there weekly, the rest intermittently.
We have one strong player who recently joined who had not played for 20 years and is excited to be playing again. He was 1 kyu at that time. I guess he's about 5 kyu now. We have several newbies in the 20k and up range. And a few of us 18k-13k as a guess.

My goal besides spreading the word and introducing new players to GO. Is to get a solid core group of 4-6 players who show up weekly in the 15kyu range. The number of newbies means we are often introducing the game and not playing interesting games.

I spread some fliers around town and am happy to say we have gotten at least 4 regular players from them.

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

Post #17 Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:41 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: Yukontodd
Online playing schedule: Find me on OGS these days.
Whitehorse Go Club has been in existence since I declared it existed just this past October; we currently have between four and eight players show up, I'd estimate our ranks at three 6-9 kyu, a couple 14-17 kyu, and two or three 20-25 kyu. We also get a newbie or two show up every few weeks who may or may not come back occasionally. There's a 2 dan player who apparently hasn't played much lately on the horizon who might drop by at some point.

Occasionally, it's just me and one other player, though this is becoming more and more rare as time goes on.

Currently, I have one folding board I bring with some double convex Yunzis I got from YMI a couple years ago, a few 9x9's I bought for the club with a split up set of glass stones in lock 'n locks, and two others bring magnetic travel sets. If pressed I have another full sized set, but the board is Chinesee sized, so it really eats up real estate on tiny cafe tables. I'm hoping to pick something up to expand our equipment collection at the Canadian Open in June...

Anyhow, such is the basic state of the Whitehorse Go Club.:)

Post #18 Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:16 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 9
KGS: moboy78
IGS: moboy78
My local go club, the Middle TN Go Club used to have about 7 or so regular attendees when I first started coming in September of 2011. Since then, 3 of those people have moved away, and by summertime next year myself and 2 other people will have also moved away, leaving only one regular attendee. However, we do have a few irregulars who show up from time to time (usually about 2-3) and a 1p Chinese professional who shows up if we agree to pay her for teaching games ahead of time.

Post #19 Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:29 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 414
Was liked: 461
My club is in a small town in the midwest. At the moment, I am the only one almost certain to turn up at meetings! :D Our biggest attendance was 16. At this time it's usually one, two, or occasionally three, though I hope summer will improve things. As for rank, I am somewhere around 13-11k, and have to give everyone else large handicaps. Most of them are beginners who only learned to play here at the library.

Post subject:
Post #20 Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:06 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
StlenVlr wrote:
I envy how many clubs described here seem to have kyu players. I really haven't seen that big of an influx of new players anywhere I've went. Like, once or twice a year you get a new player in all of the 5 or so clubs I frequent.
Yes, new players are rare, and among those who stay are rarer, still.
It takes a tremendous amount of effort to do advertising,
marketing, and recruiting.
Also, "kyu" and "new" are not synonymous: we have kyu members (2k - 8k)
who have been playing for over 40 years.