It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toronto Go Club - visit report
Post #1 Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:01 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 228
Was liked: 84
I travel a lot for business and try to stop in at local clubs when my schedule permits. Today I visited the Toronto Go Club (http://www.torontogoclub.org/) for the first time. It meets every (most?) Sunday afternoon in a Toronto community center. Parking was relatively painless for near-downtown Toronto; there are plenty of side streets where you can try to find a spot for free, as well as paid parking on the main thoroughfare or in several nearby garages.

The community center has multiple floors and many meeting rooms, so it's best to check in at the reception desk on the first floor and ask where the club is meeting that day. I showed up about 20 minutes after the designated starting time to find 3 people already there. Over the course of the four hours 8 people in total turned up, myself included. Despite the few attendees, there was a nice range of skill levels present from DDK all the way up to mid-dan level.

I managed to get in three 19x19 games and one 9x9 while chatting and swilling coffee, as is my custom. I almost exclusively play online so being able to sit down with other humans for 4 hours was fantastic.

I had a good time and would gladly go again if I find myself back in Toronto and free on a Sunday afternoon.

Special thanks to Johnny for being so welcoming! :tmbup:

This post by Drew was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, emeraldemon

Post subject: Re: Toronto Go Club - visit report
Post #2 Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:37 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Thanks for the positive review.

We're still active and meet every Sunday, and we're busy planning our Fall tournament for the end of September.

Whenever you're in Toronto and have some free time, you're always welcomed at the go club.

torontogoclub.org

Attachments:
go club poster.pdf [332.17 KiB]
Downloaded 675 times

Post subject: Re: Toronto Go Club - visit report
Post #3 Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
Best of success to the club, looking forward to your next city and review.... Perhaps we should have a mystery GO player, that checks out clubs. Like the Mystery worshiper.... You leave your card when u leave. : )

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony